How much faster is the 06/07 than the 03/04

Big 8

Established Member
This thread is simply baffeling????? Come on? FRPP has a twin screw blower for the current 4.6 its said with nothing else ( no tune) to add 80 WHP and 50 wheel torque on the 4.6! Dyno proven! If this car had the same 4.6 with twin screw it would be a lot faster! Live axel? 5.4? hiflo heads? Its not even a contest?

Thats what this 5.4 has? So its more then safe to say that its at least got that much up on the 4.6. Forget about the better heads and the extra inches???? Sure we wont know until its run but we wont know that the sun will rise tomorrow until we see it happen! However the safe money is that it will.

Orange Poison

Established Member
It's gonna be a Monster. Pulley and tune, maybe exhaust depending how restrictive they make it.

It's gonna be the same situation with the Z06 as before. Pulley and tune will take it....I bet. Stock, Z06.

bobby1

Established Member
4.6 Rocket said:
How much faster will the 06/07 cobra be than the 03/04 cobra's? We know that a stock 03/04 cobra is underrated and I'm sure that the 06/07 will be underrated as well. So it's not a difference of 60hp since se dont know the actual hp numbers. With the extra weight added to the 06/07 cobra, will the difference in power be a big difference in the 1/4? This is not a thread saying that an 03/04 is just as fast, but I wonder how bad an 03/04 will lose in stock form. Any ideas?
The 03/04 at 390 H/P is NOT underated. Look at the mags #s Low 13 teens at 109 is not underated!! :shrug:

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
Lethalchem said:
I don't see how anyone can answer this since we don't have any actual numbers to work with. However, if a 03 Cobra is agreed to be around 425hp at the fly (since people have dyno'd at 380rwhp), and the 07 is actually accurate at 450 at the crank, I think it's going to be damn close. I dont think Ford would be that stupid though. I'd guess it will be closer to 500 at the crank, which will only make it slower than all the modded Cobras who have dropped $800 into their cars. :lol:

God forbid an owner of a gt500 to do the same mods since they have a larger motor, and most likely a larger blower. If the whipple makes it into production, you'll have to compare it to a kenne bell 03-04 ;)

Terminator

Established Member
bobby1 said:
The 03/04 at 390 H/P is NOT underated. Look at the mags #s Low 13 teens at 109 is not underated!! :shrug:

03/04 Cobra's are underated by at least 30hp.
My 03 dyno'd @ 381 to the wheels, stock right down to the air filter. Some are lower and some are higher.
The 381rwhp = aprox. 430fwhp. How do you figure ? :shrug:

4.6 Rocket

Established Member
Terminator said:
03/04 Cobra's are underated by at least 30hp.
My 03 dyno'd @ 381 to the wheels, stock right down to the air filter. Some are lower and some are higher.
The 381rwhp = aprox. 430fwhp. How do you figure ? :shrug:

Exactly

PoisonSnake

Banned
They didn't even release the price of this car yet. If they said it was $50k would you still buy it?

It doesn't take much to make an 03/04 Cobra fast so it's not like the new one will be unbeatable by an 03/04.

rphinney

Established Member
Blue Poison said:
It's gonna be a Monster. Pulley and tune, maybe exhaust depending how restrictive they make it.

It's gonna be the same situation with the Z06 as before. Pulley and tune will take it....I bet. Stock, Z06.

I love it when guys make comments like this, it's like hey if this car is stock and mine has 100 RWHP of mods I'll take him! :shrug:

I don't think that the new Z06 will be as easy to take out as the previous one, although dollar for dollar a GT500 will make more power, the LS7 at 427ci is going to keep up with the ford much better in the torque department and Cams that where previously undriveable (due to tuning issues on the smaller motors) will now be making sick power on the bigger motor, 600 HP will be just a cam swap away for the chevy guys.

I also heard some guy talking (actually ranting) about the weight of the GT500 will be about 3750? Just Curious how much does a Terminator weigh?

icu812

GOT MILF?
Established Member
well with the current rating of the 05 gt at 300 (flywheel) to me it's safe to say the 06/07 will be 450(flywheel) lets not forget the dreaded "Drive by Wire on the new mustangs.
the 5.4 will not rev faster but will make more torque.
(and torque moves mass and thats what puts the grin on your face at the end of the day)
IMO it will be a close run between the two whatever the future holds I think it's safe to say we live in a wonderful time for Ford SVT.
but what a shame to out-do the 03-04 model(if it happens) the Terminator will always hold a special place in my heart and I will miss it when the next SVT hits the dealership

Fourcam330

Established Member
rphinney said:
I love it when guys make comments like this, it's like hey if this car is stock and mine has 100 RWHP of mods I'll take him! :shrug:

I don't think that the new Z06 will be as easy to take out as the previous one, although dollar for dollar a GT500 will make more power, the LS7 at 427ci is going to keep up with the ford much better in the torque department and Cams that where previously undriveable (due to tuning issues on the smaller motors) will now be making sick power on the bigger motor, 600 HP will be just a cam swap away for the chevy guys.

I also heard some guy talking (actually ranting) about the weight of the GT500 will be about 3750? Just Curious how much does a Terminator weigh?

The GT500/GT motor will put out 700rwhp/700+rwtq with bolt-ons and reflash/pulley, hell it might be possible with just a pulley/reflash. The only thing the Z06 has going for it is it's ultra light (by comparison) weight; though I'm sure the 7.0L will love the spray. The hands down potential HP/TQ champ is without question the GT/GT500 motor.

jwfisher

Banned
Except it's not a Ford GT motor. Claiming it is no tidfferent than these Chevy posers who claims their RWD old Impala SS is powered by a 'vette motor. Remember that Chevy left behind the aluminum block and a host of other parts.

Or that a Mach/Aviator/Marauder was powered by a Cobra engine. There were fundamental differences there as well, including and particularly the stronger block and crank.

And this GT500 engine will have to pull at least 3750 pounds. That's already been clearly and irrefutably demonstrated. I wonder what the point of no return (the point where the HP and torque necessary to pull it's fat butt ensures the car is not any net faster) will be for Ford enthusiasts - 4100 pound Shelby verts perhaps? Where does this rediculous mess end? Where and when does Ford really leverage it's engineering talents (latent as they are) to build a light weight car that can really take advantage of *all* of it's power?

This new 2005 and up platform is a conflicting mess of paradigms... I agree we're far better off than ye olde nag SN95 (which should have gone to the glue factory years ago), this car is far closer to "Mustang DNA" than the Mustang has been since MY1970. But what we have here is a much larger car, a much heavier car, and one that can not go on meeting emissions and mileage requirements indefinitely. Those requirements may have cost us the Shelby IRS and 'vert models already... if not now then one day they will.

History could parallel the 71-73 debacle again...

Last edited:

youngster

Established Member
bobby1 ur absolutly wronng many ppl have had their stock cobras pull 12 second time passes actualy most and i think the fastest time stock was 12.4 so cant break 13's? think again way to mag race thats for ricers.

Fourcam330

Established Member
jwfisher said:
Except it's not a Ford GT motor. Claiming it is no tidfferent than these Chevy posers who claims their RWD old Impala SS is powered by a 'vette motor. Remember that Chevy left behind the aluminum block and a host of other parts.

Or that a Mach/Aviator/Marauder was powered by a Cobra engine. There were fundamental differences there as well, including and particularly the stronger block and crank.

And this GT500 engine will have to pull at least 3750 pounds. That's already been clearly and irrefutably demonstrated. I wonder what the point of no return (the point where the HP and torque necessary to pull it's fat butt ensures the car is not any net faster) will be for Ford enthusiasts - 4100 pound Shelby verts perhaps? Where does this rediculous mess end? Where and when does Ford really leverage it's engineering talents (latent as they are) to build a light weight car that can really take advantage of *all* of it's power?

This new 2005 and up platform is a conflicting mess of paradigms... I agree we're far better off than ye olde nag SN95 (which should have gone to the glue factory years ago), this car is far closer to "Mustang DNA" than the Mustang has been since MY1970. But what we have here is a much larger car, a much heavier car, and one that can not go on meeting emissions and mileage requirements indefinitely. Those requirements may have cost us the Shelby IRS and 'vert models already... if not now then one day they will.

History could parallel the 71-73 debacle again...

You've got to be kidding me with the Vette/Impala reference? Al blocks don't allow for any more power than iron ones, and if anything the lighter cast cranks in the lesser bow tie models should have allowed for faster reving than their heavier/stronger forged counterparts--all else being equal:shrug: Same goes with the 03 Cobra vs. auto Machs, Marauders, etc. Besides, I never said anything about durability/longevity.
We know the GT500 motor will have GT heads, GT lower intake/IC, along with an identical 2.2L twin screw with a different inlet; the most important parts of the power making puzzle. Though not specified yet, the new Shelby will likely use GT grind cams along with pistons of similar (if not the same) static C/R as those used in the GT--IMO it would be a waste of development $ for Ford when suitable parts already exist. The GT500 may not have a dry sump oiling system, but that would only account for a 15HP difference max.
I'm not saying the new GT500 isn't going to be fat, rather that within a year to a year and a half after the cars release we'll see 700rwhp with bolt-ons (full exhaust, CAI, pulley, and reflash included) and 9 second slips with the right tires.

Last edited:

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
You've got to be kidding me with the Vette/Impala reference? Al blocks don't allow for any more power than iron ones, and if anything the lighter cast cranks in the lesser bow tie models should have allowed for a miniscule amount more power than their heavier/stronger forged counterparts--all else being equal:shrug: Same goes with the 03 Cobra vs. auto Machs, Marauders, etc. Besides, I never said anything about durability/longevity.
We know the GT500 motor will have GT heads, GT lower intake/IC, along with an identical 2.2L twin screw with a different inlet; the most important parts of the power making puzzle. Though not specified yet, the new Shelby will likely use GT grind cams along with pistons of similar (if not the same) static C/R as those used in the GT--IMO it would be a waste of development $ for Ford when suitable parts already exist. The GT500 may not have a dry sump oiling system, but that would only account for a 15HP difference max.
I'm not saying the new GT500 isn't going to be fat, rather that within a year to a year and a half after the cars release we'll see 700rwhp with bolt-ons (full exhaust, CAI, pulley, and reflash included) and 9 second slips with the right tires.

there's only ONE thing that I'm seeing holding back the 05 GT500.. and that's the connecting rods.. if SVT cheapened out and went with a powdered metal rod, then NO it won't be able to hold these claims that people are putting down. The 05 Ford GT, and 03/04 Terminator both use Forged Steel H beam rods and Ford let us know about them, does the new GT500?

Fourcam330

Established Member
Silver2003Cobra said:
there's only ONE thing that I'm seeing holding back the 05 GT500.. and that's the connecting rods.. if SVT cheapened out and went with a powdered metal rod, then NO it won't be able to hold these claims that people are putting down. The 05 Ford GT, and 03/04 Terminator both use Forged Steel H beam rods and Ford let us know about them, does the new GT500?

I'm worried about the rods and pistons. Hopefully we get the GT's Mahle's and nothing like the Zollner's in the 03/04s. Then again, I guess if I blow the stock shortblock up I won't have any choice but to upgrade to billet rods/custom CPs/cams/mild porting and VJ :beer:

swlacobra

too many cars
Established Member
and what is the tire size limit? this will be a factor in how much power you can put to the ground. these new stangs seem to have narrow tires. i looked under one and it looks like the shock is in the way. might be different on the gt500, guess time will tell

Users who are viewing this thread