How much horsepower...

Lightning Kid

Lightning Addict
Established Member
Could a timing advance give me? Also, ive read that by putting on an e-fan you can save up to 10hp, b/c of taking off the water pump. But how much hp would the actual e-fan make, about 5 or less? :burnout:

Soul Rebel

Tryin to get DIESEL!!!
Established Member
I think the e fans give more than that, prolly around 15 or so horsepower. Timing I think really depends on your truck, I advanced mine to 14* and hardly noticed anything so I'm gonna bump it up to 16* as long as it doesn't ping. Horsepower wise I really don't know, maybe 5-10 AT MOST (and those are optimistic numbers) I just installed underdrive pulleys on my truck and don't notice any noticeable/substantial difference. Just my 2 cents...

wayne's93

home school'd
Established Member
i have an electric fan (black magic), i think you should gain close to 10hp with that bolt on- far as timing, owned my truck since 93, bought it new. never messed with timing, had a friend tell me to adjust it a few months back, i went from a best 15.19 to a 14.76 in the quater mile. it was adjusted from facroty around 7* i went to 15 w/o any pinging. between that, underdrives, and the fan, you should easily have a sub 15 sec truck. exhaust always helps too.

Last edited:

Lightning Kid

Lightning Addict
Established Member
Soul Rebel said:
I think the e fans give more than that, prolly around 15 or so horsepower.

ah, I read in my jegs catalog, some e-fan said it added 15hp. but I thought that was just 5hp+the 10 you save. So could you actually make 25hp total? Gah, I can't wait to mod.

wayne's93 said:
i have an electric fan (black magic), i think you should gain close to 10hp with that bolt on- far as timing, owned my truck since 93, bought it new. never messed with timing, had a friend tell me to adjust it a few months back, i went from a best 15.19 to a 14.76 in the quater mile. it was adjusted from facroty around 7* i went to 15 w/o any pinging. between that, underdrives, and the fan, you should easily have a sub 15 sec truck. exhaust always helps too.

so I take it that a timing change can do nothing or alot.

Last edited:

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Lightning Kid said:
ah, I read in my jegs catalog, some e-fan said it added 15hp. but I thought that was just 5hp+the 10 you save. So could you actually make 25hp total? Gah, I can't wait to mod.QUOTE]

There is no way you'll get 25 horses from an electric fan swap.
Plus changing to an electric fan doesn't actually make HP. It just frees up HP that the engine is already making.

Lightning Kid

Lightning Addict
Established Member
LIGHTNING LARRY said:
Lightning Kid said:
ah, I read in my jegs catalog, some e-fan said it added 15hp. but I thought that was just 5hp+the 10 you save. So could you actually make 25hp total? Gah, I can't wait to mod.QUOTE]

There is no way you'll get 25 horses from an electric fan swap.
Plus changing to an electric fan doesn't actually make HP. It just frees up HP that the engine is already making.

thats what I thought, but I was still praying that it might.

Soul Rebel

Tryin to get DIESEL!!!
Established Member
Yeah sorry to clarify, I mean :thumbsup: 15 total horsepower, and ditto to what else he said about the fans.

Lightning Kid

Lightning Addict
Established Member
Ok, a new question, How many more miles per gallon... would an e-fan get? Pluss would a CAI help with the fuel economy?

Soul Rebel

Tryin to get DIESEL!!!
Established Member
Lightning Kid said:
Ok, a new question, How many more miles per gallon... would an e-fan get? Pluss would a CAI help with the fuel economy?
Maybe 1 or 2 mpg, I've learned that there's pretty much nothing you can do to get better gas mileage. People have suggested different gears and taller tires, you may want to try those, but overall I don't think you'll see a significant difference. Are you planning on getting flex-a-lite's? If so which model? I'm lloking at the 295's myself, but there still a ways away.

Lightning Kid

Lightning Addict
Established Member
Im looking at the 400-210(number in the jegs catalog) flex-a-lite. I heard that that one is the best for the money or something like that. If I had the money Id buy the 295, Flex-a-lite said that that was a better one. But its about a $100 more then the 210.

Soul Rebel

Tryin to get DIESEL!!!
Established Member
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the 295's are just a newer, more updated model of the 295. A lot of guys are running the 210's over on the nloc, I just dont see the 295's too often prolly cause of cost.

Soul Rebel

Tryin to get DIESEL!!!
Established Member
Lightning Kid said:
Hey do you think that the underdrive might interfere(sp?) with the e-fan?
You Mean charging wise or temp? Some have problems, some don't. To ensure no charging problems, you might just want to runa bigger alternator and an optima battery. As for temp, you could just change to a 180* thermostat (I think)

Lightning Kid

Lightning Addict
Established Member
I think charging, I was glancing over some posts in nloc and someone said that they had problems with their underdrives and e-fans.

Soul Rebel

Tryin to get DIESEL!!!
Established Member
Yeah most go with the alternator for a E250 van, the battery isn't as necessary, but will help especially if you're running a big sound system.-Josh

Users who are viewing this thread