How much is enough?

ObieFox

Established Member
How much RWHP is enough for the street?

I know...blasphemy right? But seriously, how much is enough?

I remember an article printed in Muscle Mustang magazine back in the early 2000's that asked the same thing. They asked several top builders (Jimmy LaRocca and others) at the time and the consensus was 400 RWHP was the maximum RWHP usable on the street.

I remember at the time I had my '03 Cobra and it made 459 at the tire with a 2.93 pulley and tune. At the time, that car was an absolute monster. It would break the tires loose at 70 mph on an on-ramp, in 3rd gear, at 4000 RPM. I thought that was just completely insane at the time for a true street car (a convertible to boot) weighing nearly 4000 pds.

Fast forward to today and I'm driving around in a factory built, 600 RWHP monster. What a great time to be alive! The reason I bring this all up is that I chuckle when I see people doing mods and going for 750 or 800.... I mean what for? (I know, because you can... :)) But seriously, what for? The 600 that Ford gave us is pretty much unusable on the street. If the car is destined to live on the track then I totally understand and get it, but by far the vast majority of these modified cars will spend 99% of their time on the street.

Don't get me wrong, I love Mustangs and big power. I currently own 3 of them and I've modified all my cars in the past to increase their performance. Maybe I'm getting old (44), but this one is different. I personally see no reason to modify this car in anyway for street duty. IMO, Ford has built the perfect street car (OK, that clutch is still giving me fits :)). Thank you Ford and Mr. Shelby!

Kevin

Last edited:

TheOne2HotScott

Established Member

I remember an article printed in Muscle Mustang magazine back in the early 2000's that asked the same thing. They asked several top builders (Jimmy LaRocca and others) at the time and the consensus was 400 RWHP was the maximum RWHP usable on the street.

I remember at the time I had my '03 Cobra and it made 459 at the tire with a 2.93 pulley and tune. At the time, that car was an absolute monster. It would break the tires loose at 70 mph on an on-ramp, in 3rd gear, at 4000 RPM. I thought that was just completely insane at the time for a true street car (a convertible to boot) weighing nearly 4000 pds.

Fast forward to today and I'm driving around in a factory built, 600 RWHP monster. What a great time to be alive! The reason I bring this all up is that I chuckle when I see people doing mods and going for 750 or 800.... I mean what for? (I know, because you can... :)) But seriously, what for? The 600 that Ford gave us is pretty much unusable on the street. If the car is destined to live on the track then I totally understand and get it, but by far the vast majority of these modified cars will spend 99% of their time on the street.

Don't get me wrong, I love Mustangs and big power. I currently own 3 of them and I've modified all my cars in the past to increase their performance. Maybe I'm getting old (44), but this one is different. I personally see no reason to modify this car in anyway for street duty. IMO, Ford has built the perfect street car (OK, that clutch is still giving me fits :)). Thank you Ford and Mr. Shelby!

Kevin

I'm not planning to mod mine, but for maybe to increase the exhaust note...:thumbsup::beer:

Shhhh

Established Member
I'd have to say it all depends on how smart you are with it. Dont drive like an idiot and be safe. After saying that there is no magic #. It depends on the type of car, car's modifications which ultimately leads to the driveability of the car and the driver(skill and brains). My '03 was a handful at 656rwhp but my '13 with more hp and almost 100ftlbs more torque is so much more tame and easier to drive.

BOD89LX

Established Member
I would say 1000rwhp is enough and with the level of technology we have today you can have your cake and eat it to.

SGMPhil

The Sergeant Major
Established Member
Interestingly enough - My old Bradley Fighting Vehicle had a 600hp powerplant - and it weighed in at 25 tons :)

rdsnk46

Established Member
Suspension technology is so advanced that you can run around with 800-900 rwhp, a driver mod and have a good time in a manual car. You just have to know how to drive.

RedWhite&Blown

Established Member

Kevin

I completely agree. I've owned a lot of Mustangs over the years although none "recently" and more than my share were modded. That said, if you'd have told me 10, 20 or 30 years ago I could buy one with 662 HP and it have a 5 year powertrain warranty I'd have called you nuts! Absolutely, everybody should do whatever they want to do to their car, but I am going to be plenty happy with mine completely stock and it will perform off the charts compared to anything I ever even dreamed I would own. I will get the windows tinted, probably add some side rear window louvres or scoops and call it over the top good. Mine gets built exactly how I want it this week! :banana:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
500RWHP for camaros, 1000RWHP for mustangs.....:lol1:

but seriously its subjective in a way, all depends on what you can handle as a driver and what expect out of your car. I think right now the car is perfect, I know I will add a few things here and there as I have to enhance certain things, but major power upgrades I dont need. Suspension, exhaust and improved vehicle function are my goals. 650 to the wheels is enough for me I think

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Suspension technology is so advanced that you can run around with 800-900 rwhp, a driver mod and have a good time in a manual car. You just have to know how to drive.

On regular tires with normal non vht city streets? There is no way one would stick it in those conditions without launch control on 800rwhp.

Even with the Heffner Twin Turbo Ford GT's rwhp is down a lot in the lower rpm band just to allow for traction!

To get moving 600rwhp is enough, in motion 800rwhp is fun to have!:rockon::eek:

PowerUp

Established Member
Two things come to mind:

1) The Hot Rodder's Axiom - "If Some is Good, and More is Better, then TOO MUCH is Just Right"

2) Power-to-Weight has more to do with what is "enough". When you get "Under 6 lb/hp" on genuine DOT tires, you're getting pretty close to "enough".

Driver500

Established Member
I find high 600s to be the limit of fun driving on the street. On high 700s boost setting things happen very very quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread