how much $$$$ supercharger vs turbo

cobracrazee

Established Member
cost wise what would be the cheaper route KB or Turbo lets say 04 Cobra stock engine. Looking for 800hp. Also i'm in Los Angeles, who would you take your car to get the work done?

crazycarlo

Established Member
well there are alot of factors to determine that. With the KB your going to need all of the upgrades, fuel ect....and im not sure cause im not an 03 guy but being in cali and having to run 91 youd prob need nitrous also esp if your talking rear wheel.

Turbo would be the easier of the 2 to get you there however its going to be a bit more because you have to replace the k-member and all. I dunno where in Cali hes at but I see alot of guys using RET (Razors Edge Tuning)

riocobra97

SVT is Life
Established Member
The KB setup is going to be the less expensive route, but i doubt you will see 800 unless you spray it. The turbo will definitely put you at or over the 800 mark but like crazycarlo said, your going to have to do K member and stuff too, so it will run you a little more $$$. You can find a lot of those parts on the forums here or at The Corral. buying used will save you a lot of money, and there is always turbo stuff for sale. Good luck.

cobracrazee

Established Member
cost

by going turbo do have to loose the ac? How is MMR to work with, costumer service, and quality of product and work?

dadro77

Deez nuts....
Established Member
Turbo will get you there with less stress on your crank. You will need fuel with both, but KB will be cheaper in the end...

wma8706

Established Member
Talk to RET. I think the turbo route is the best way to get 800hp. That being said ... FYI since you live here in Cali. Aftermarket turbos or competion race blowers are not legal here in California. If I could get around the strict smog laws here....I'd've gotten a turbo a long time ago. I do believe most of the smaller KB or Whipple blowers are legal here.

bs46488

Established Member
I can't comment on your cost question.

However, Greg at RET is the best place in Los Angeles to take your car. He tuned my 2001 with a Vortech unit on it and I have been running my daily driver trouble free for over 2 years now.

I think over the summer he purchased a new building (still in Downey), so he has a lot more space and equipment.

CobraMac

Established Member
Greg at Racer's Edge tuning is where you want to go. He's done work for me and does a great job

Now to answer your question....either way you are going to spend a SHIT ton of money to get a stock 04 cobra engine to make 800whp

If you were to supercharge it you will need either a Kenne Bell Mammoth or a Whipple 3.4 with a crusher inlet, then you will need to run a lot of boost (at least 24lbs) and race gas to make anywhere close to 800whp...and I'll tell you there are very few guys on this site making 800whp with superchargers. The KB/Whipple will cost you at least $6,000.

Now if you were to turbocharge the car you will be able to make 800whp with less boost and less stress on the engine, but at a higher cost. You will need a big single turbo or twin turbos. And you should definitely choose a GOOD company and good kit for turbos as you don't want to half ass that. A single/Twin turbo kit will cost you over $7,000.

Now on to the ton of other stuff you will need. You will need a really good fuel system as this is the area you will NOT want to skimp because you run lean and then you will watch your engine go BOOM. A good fuel system will cost you at least $1,500.

Next you will need injectors (at least $350), a new MAF (at least $300), new throttle body (at least $500), belts, pulleys, new cooling upgrades, etc.

The list is big.

When you want to make that much power you need to do all the other things to make it safe because when you start going that high things break more easily and there are MANY problems you will run into if you half-ass it. You will also need tires and suspension mods as well to even put that power to the ground.

I know all this stuff because I am making that kind of power and was whipple'd before I even had turbos.

So basically, to make 800whp from a stock motor....to supercharge I say it will cost at least $9,000....and to turbo it will cost at least $10,000+

And this is NOT including the many snags you may run into as well.

A lot of people think it's easy to make that much power with our cars...but it costs a LOT of money. My turbo build alone (although it includes a built shortblock, and a ton of other upgraded and powdercoated parts) is easily over $18,000...I was expecting it to cost maybe $8,000 max....that shows you how expensive things can get really quick.

dadro77

Deez nuts....
Established Member
Greg at Racer's Edge tuning is where you want to go. He's done work for me and does a great job

Now to answer your question....either way you are going to spend a SHIT ton of money to get a stock 04 cobra engine to make 800whp

If you were to supercharge it you will need either a Kenne Bell Mammoth or a Whipple 3.4 with a crusher inlet, then you will need to run a lot of boost (at least 24lbs) and race gas to make anywhere close to 800whp...and I'll tell you there are very few guys on this site making 800whp with superchargers. The KB/Whipple will cost you at least $6,000.

Now if you were to turbocharge the car you will be able to make 800whp with less boost and less stress on the engine, but at a higher cost. You will need a big single turbo or twin turbos. And you should definitely choose a GOOD company and good kit for turbos as you don't want to half ass that. A single/Twin turbo kit will cost you over $7,000.

Now on to the ton of other stuff you will need. You will need a really good fuel system as this is the area you will NOT want to skimp because you run lean and then you will watch your engine go BOOM. A good fuel system will cost you at least $1,500.

Next you will need injectors (at least $350), a new MAF (at least $300), new throttle body (at least $500), belts, pulleys, new cooling upgrades, etc.

The list is big.

When you want to make that much power you need to do all the other things to make it safe because when you start going that high things break more easily and there are MANY problems you will run into if you half-ass it. You will also need tires and suspension mods as well to even put that power to the ground.

I know all this stuff because I am making that kind of power and was whipple'd before I even had turbos.

So basically, to make 800whp from a stock motor....to supercharge I say it will cost at least $9,000....and to turbo it will cost at least $10,000+

And this is NOT including the many snags you may run into as well.

A lot of people think it's easy to make that much power with our cars...but it costs a LOT of money. My turbo build alone (although it includes a built shortblock, and a ton of other upgraded and powdercoated parts) is easily over $18,000...I was expecting it to cost maybe $8,000 max....that shows you how expensive things can get really quick.

I am way over budget on my Turbo build as well. But, I know I will enjoy the finished product!! :rockon:

CobraMac

Established Member
I am way over budget on my Turbo build as well. But, I know I will enjoy the finished product!! :rockon:

Hahaha then you know how it is! After seeing turbo builds and experiencing it, I always tell people now to take the amount they think they will spend and double it, and that's the amount the turbo build will cost.

CobraMac

Established Member

Greg@RET

Established Member
Some shots from today...

IRS coming out for a solid axle.
TTbuilds001.gif

TTbuilds002.gif

TTbuilds003.gif

TTbuilds006.gif

TTbuilds005.gif

cobracrazee

Established Member

thanks for all the replies guys, Don't really know much about turbo stuff but thanks to you forum members, been reading and learning a lot. I guess got a start saving. And Greg, I'll stop by your shop when I'm free and check out your projects

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread