How Not to Change Oil (long)

2003 Term'nator

Established Member
I reached 500 miles on my anniversary edition picked up last Monday so I went to change the oil for the first time. First problem: no way in hell to fit underneath so I went in search of some ramps (did not have enough lumber around to build any). After stops by Wal Mart and several parts stores I finally found a set of Rhino Ramps. First problem solved. Next problem was finding the right combination of filter wrench and technique to get the filter off. I finally used a strap type wrench with a short handle (read- no leverage) that allowed about an inch of movement between the tie rod and brake lines. After 10 minutes I got the filter loose. Everything is going relatively smooth so far. After determining that I was going to be able to get the filter off I left it on and started loosening the plug on the pan. Not being able to see it very well I didn't realize it was going to be like pulling the plug out of hoover dam. I was using a 15 quart oil container ( I use it for my F-250 Powerstroke that holds 15 quarts), anyway, once the plug was loose enough it went flying off into the oil container and the tidal wave of oil started pouring out. The container was filling fast but it seemed to be coming out of the pan faster than the oil container could fill. After about 3 seconds oil was overflowing out of the container and onto the garage floor. It turns out that the plug was the perfect size to plug my oil container as well as the pan. I ended up spending much more time cleaning up the oil than I did changing the oil and washing the car. I thought some of you might get a laugh out of my misfortune.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
That's pretty damned ironic since I just walked in from changing my oil for the first time (1,100 miles). Here's my story...

I have a 10qt oil pan that was about 3 qt's full already so it was going to be tight. I had a hard time jacking up the car since there doesn't seem to be any good jack points. I finally got it up enough to get under the car. The oil pan was in place and I pulled out the drain plug. It fell in the oil pan of course. Everything was cool so I got up and went to get the filter wrench. I can back and oil was about to overflow everywhere kind of like when a toilet is about to overflow. I dove onto the ground and opened one of the pressure release plugs and the oil started going into the pan...whew. I skinned the shit out of my elbow in the process. Next up was the filter. Whoever put it on at the factory must've used an impact gun or something. I had to push a screwdriver through it to get it out. Needless to say there was oil all over the place. It would've been easier to take it to quickie-lube. No way I'm letting those retards touch my car though.

This was pretty humbling actually. I can install nitrous, do heads/cam swaps, etc...but changing oil gives me trouble! lol

Dan

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Ya, I know I should get a new one. I just don't see the point in spending the money since I already have one.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Plugs perfect size...Had to freaking get the plug out before i had ur exp.

Trust me u learn what not to do the next time out. :beer:

Onelfastlride

Established Member
Had the same thing happen to me. Luckly no overflow, as it got close to the top I realized the OEM plug was plugging the pan drain hole.

KDog

Established Member
Don't those drain pans have little mesh screens to keep stuff from blocking it? ;)

Funny stories, gives me something to look forward to.

351MachOne

Kicking Your Ass
Established Member
The oil filter location on the 4.6's is asinine. It gets oil all over the car when it's removed. Oh yeah, and factory tightened oil filters are A BITCH!

I do a 1/4 to 1/2 turn after its 'snug'.

I was a Grease Monkey at Jiffy Lube in a previous life. We all hated taking factory filters off, what a bitch.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
First time I did it I realized it was gonna be impossible without putting it on ramps, the only thing we had was railroad ties, then the mess of getting the oil filter off and soaking the front of the car, it is ridiculous, the only complaint I have about the car.

Leadhead

Melodramatic Nihilist
Established Member
I just use a plastic kitchen bucket, works good but the first time I changed the oil, it shot out almost as far as it could piss and shot over the wide mouth of the bucket and on to the concrete. The filter has to be the biggest b$tch of any car I have ever changed the oil on. You have to loop the wrench over the horizontal bar and push some plastic stuff out of the way so that the handle clears it. Then to put the new filter on, it is best to actually go in from the top.

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Leadhead
I just use a plastic kitchen bucket, works good but the first time I changed the oil, it shot out almost as far as it could piss and shot over the wide mouth of the bucket and on to the concrete. The filter has to be the biggest b$tch of any car I have ever changed the oil on. You have to loop the wrench over the horizontal bar and push some plastic stuff out of the way so that the handle clears it. Then to put the new filter on, it is best to actually go in from the top.

I don't think the oil filter on the 03 Cobra is to hard to change. You want a tough one, change the oil filter on a 93+ Lincoln Mark VIII that also has the 4.6- 4 cam V8. I've changed many, many oil filters on all kinds of vehicles over the years, and I still cringe whenever I think about the fun I had changing the oil filter on that model car. After I sold the car to a private buyer, he called me about 2 weeks after the sale, and said he could not even see the oil filter. Boy, I don't miss that car.

mike5876

Established Member
im laughing like crazy...........i put a kenne bell on my car..long tube headers...but the other day..i did the exact same thing you did...plug flew out of my habnd cause the oil was hot and went right in the hole in the drain pan..its one of those black round flat things with the long spout on the end...what a mess...about 5 quarts on the floor went under the tire everywhere!!!!!!!!

2003 Term'nator

Established Member
mike5876, that sounds like the same oil drain pan I have. I think I am going to put a valve on my oil pan like I have on my truck, should make life much easier. Too bad there isn't much you can do about the terrible filter location.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Originally posted by mike5876
im laughing like crazy...........i put a kenne bell on my car..long tube headers...but the other day..i did the exact same thing you did...plug flew out of my habnd cause the oil was hot and went right in the hole in the drain pan..its one of those black round flat things with the long spout on the end...what a mess...about 5 quarts on the floor went under the tire everywhere!!!!!!!!

That's the same oil pan I have too. The hot oil got me too. That's why I dropped the plug. I was fortunate only to get a few drops on the garage floor though.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
I use heavy duty aluminum foil for the filter. I fold it in half, then slide it under the filter. Finally, I mold it to form a path to my catch pan. I leave it under there until after the new (pre-filled) filter goes on. Then I wipe up any drops still clinging to the underside. This method worked well on my 98 for years. Oh yeah, I also use Rhino Ramps.

Users who are viewing this thread