How often do I need to start my car

GTBill

Established Member
I have a 2003 GT that I was stupid enough to waste money on putting a built motor in. I did a return style fuel system with a magna fuel 750 inline pump and frpp 80s. I pretty much have 0 interest left in the the car and it has enough tune it in to just drive it around the town. My question is how ofen should I start it and drive it around the neighborhood? I do burn e-85 in the car. From what I understand ethanol gums up and it loves moisture. The climate I live in is very humid. If it matters all the hoses I used was the pushlock stuff, all rubber or w/e the material is.

Thanks! :coolman:

redfire04gt

Blown 2v
Established Member
I don't have any experience with E-85 but my car just finished sitting for the past 10-12 months. When I went to fire it for the first time this year my Magna fuel 750 was locked up. Had to send it back to them to be rebuilt. I talked with their tech support about this and they said that they recommend running fuel through it at least once a month or so. Probably not a bad idea though to start the car and let it warm up to get the oil flowing too. They told me that if it's going to sit for any extended period of time to remove the pump and spray a little wd-40 inside and put the caps on it to keep the internals lubricated.

I'm with ruswolf though...if you don't have any interest in the car any more why not try and sell it?

jonw605

Established Member
I am no expert. But I believe E85 "gumming up" is a myth.
In fact I believe it removes build up from engines.
It does not drop octane with age from what I've read either.
You are correct in the fact that it is hydrophilic and attracts water. To help avoid condensation (water) in your fuel tank, keep it full and try to avoid temperature swings.
Starting monthly is wise. The hardest thing you can do to a car is not start/drive it. Seals will dry out and leaks/locks will start.
Agreed with previous post, sell your car and let someone else enjoy it.
-Jon

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
I'm not an expert either, but I try to be sure and get my car up to operating temperature for a little while at least once per week. It's better on the car all around. I've been on E85 for a few months, but I tried to do the same when I was still running gas.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I used Lucas Safe Guard Ethanol Fuel Conditioner With Stabilizer last Fall. Just started it up after sitting all winter. No problems and car idles and runs perfect.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I just started my car after sitting for a couple of miserable months of rain,sleet,ice and snow. Started and drove just fine. I do keep it in a garage though.

Gasoline is not good to leave sitting for long periods of time, E85 is no different than letting fuel sit.

GTBill

Established Member
thanks for the information. I'm not going to sell the car because it's my first car, paid for and I'll get no return out of the investment ive made in the drivetrain. I'll either put a big shot of dope on it and/or use it for parts when/if i blow a cobra up. I have a sale pending with one currently.

redfire04gt

Blown 2v
Established Member
I hear you there man. I still enjoy my car no doubt but I also bought my 04 GT brand new in college and have too much into it to ever sell it.

Tractionless1

Established Member
I don't have any experience with E-85 but my car just finished sitting for the past 10-12 months. When I went to fire it for the first time this year my Magna fuel 750 was locked up. Had to send it back to them to be rebuilt. I talked with their tech support about this and they said that they recommend running fuel through it at least once a month or so. Probably not a bad idea though to start the car and let it warm up to get the oil flowing too. They told me that if it's going to sit for any extended period of time to remove the pump and spray a little wd-40 inside and put the caps on it to keep the internals lubricated.

I'm with ruswolf though...if you don't have any interest in the car any more why not try and sell it?

That's crazy and more than should be needed to let a fuel pump sit. Are you running this top lube like alot of other are with E85? Probably would have help your pump http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Manha...7&cadevice=c&gclid=CKnJi4nr8MQCFbLm7AodMQkAQg

Users who are viewing this thread