How original would you keep it?

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
I picked up a 62 Fairlane a couple weeks ago to DD.
Its about as base as they come. 170 I6, 3 speed on the tree. Radio delete, one speed wipers, and bench seat.

The car has made it 51 years without a radio, no antenna hole, nothing.

I thought about putting a hidden radio or a factory style in it with a hidden antenna. But then I still have to mount speakers.

Also considered putting a newer style 3 speed in it with a synchronized first gear.

But then again... Original is rare.

Thoughts?

2e6a9amu.jpg

jygebe5u.jpg

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
If it's not a rare car I wouldn't worry about keeping it original.
Looks great in white.

usmotox

Living the Dream!
Established Member
That is a nice machine! I would love more power but I would hate to be the one to destroy the originality I would keep it unmolested.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I was gonna inherit a 62 Fairlane coupe as well from my now ex gfs parents.

I planned on a full frame off restore. Mustang II front underpinnings and figure out how to do IRS out back. 5.4L gt500 crate motor with a hydraulic t56.

The interior was hella clean in that car. Just needed motor and suspension overhaul and exterior freshen up

So I'd say do whatever you want to it.

Last edited:

ScreamingFast

Chicks love big Slicks!!
Established Member
I think you can go a little crazy on this one. Just keep the mods simple and clean and I am sure you will be pleased.

Low Class Yuppie

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
It sure was nice for the POs to keep it stock so you could built it the wy you want it. Go for it, dude. Hide a marine antenna in the fender.

KingJacobo

GM Fanboy Gone Darkside
Established Member
I'm in your shoes. I have a '66 Bonneville sedan that is all original (minus a newer radio) and mint interior.

Since it really isn't "that rare" I will keep it as original as possible, but customize a few things for my liking such as the carburetor, air cleaner and a newer radio and speakers. No cutting or welding, but some things a purist wouldn't like.

Do what you want. I say keep it mostly original but resto-mod it to your liking like a hidden radio and maybe TH400 or overdrive tranny. Don't disrespect it, but modernize it a little with some creature comforts. Afterall, it is a DD in the modern age

Aceswild 02

Established Member
If your gonna drive it every day or often then I would definitely get something with a synchronized 1st gear. I hate having to come to a complete stop in my 40 Buick to shift into first. It would get really old if I drove it all the time.

For the radio I would just get a nice, chargable ipod speaker and mount it under the dash. That way you can listen to Pandora or your ipod. They make some with some pretty good sound and you wont have to mess with cutting in speakers or anything.

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
If it's not a rare car I wouldn't worry about keeping it original.
Looks great in white.

Definitely not rare, more unique. Its gotten a more attention than my 65 coupe ever has.

That is a nice machine! I would love more power but I would hate to be the one to destroy the originality I would keep it unmolested.

Definitely no more power, my two other cars are money pits for that reason. This one is staying simple and slow. Its a boat anyway.

I was gonna inherit a 62 Fairlane coupe as well from my now ex gfs parents.

I planned on a full frame off restore. Mustang II front underpinnings and figure out how to do IRS out back. 5.4L gt500 crate motor with a hydraulic t56.

The interior was hella clean in that car. Just needed motor and suspension overhaul and exterior freshen up

So I'd say do whatever you want to it.

That would have been a bad ass build. Hell of a shoe horn even with MII front suspension I'd think.

It sure was nice for the POs to keep it stock so you could built it the wy you want it. Go for it, dude. Hide a marine antenna in the fender.

Much rather have stock than someone elses modified mess.

I'm in your shoes. I have a '66 Bonneville sedan that is all original (minus a newer radio) and mint interior.

Since it really isn't "that rare" I will keep it as original as possible, but customize a few things for my liking such as the carburetor, air cleaner and a newer radio and speakers. No cutting or welding, but some things a purist wouldn't like.

Do what you want. I say keep it mostly original but resto-mod it to your liking like a hidden radio and maybe TH400 or overdrive tranny. Don't disrespect it, but modernize it a little with some creature comforts. Afterall, it is a DD in the modern age

Kinda where I'm leaning. I think my biggest issue is keeping it cheap. I picked the car up for 3K. Running, basically rust free car. I can paint a few panels at work a week and have it much more presentable. But then again, I don't need another project.

If your gonna drive it every day or often then I would definitely get something with a synchronized 1st gear. I hate having to come to a complete stop in my 40 Buick to shift into first. It would get really old if I drove it all the time.

For the radio I would just get a nice, chargable ipod speaker and mount it under the dash. That way you can listen to Pandora or your ipod. They make some with some pretty good sound and you wont have to mess with cutting in speakers or anything.

Thats a great idea on the speaker. I'll have to see what I can find. :rockon::beer:

I wonder how DD'ing that bad boy is lol

She rides great, I've had it up to about 75 and its smooth. It'll wander a little bit, but I think a little adjustment on the steering box will help.
Biggest pain is coming to a stop to shift into first. One of those where you're going too slow for second but you didn't slow down enough to shift into first so your bog the shit out of it to get it going.

Weird driving a column shift too, first one. Looks and thumbs up I get are nice though. Had some dude follow me for about 15 minutes to the tag office just to look it over.

Aceswild 02

Established Member
I use one similar to the "jambox" in my Buick. It has Bluetooth and is shaped like a rectangular box...pretty small and sounds great, can easily be mounted under the dash with a couple of angle brackets from homedepot or something.

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
If you are going to DD it.... invest in a set of modern style 3 point seat belts. They will look fairly OEM, and keep you from face planting that steering wheel in an "Oh shit" situation. I'd worry about that, and good brakes, before you worry about a stereo. JMHO

Bert5.0

blah
Established Member
I don't see why you can't upgrade the stuff that nobody will see, like the brakes and the transmission.

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
If you are going to DD it.... invest in a set of modern style 3 point seat belts. They will look fairly OEM, and keep you from face planting that steering wheel in an "Oh shit" situation. I'd worry about that, and good brakes, before you worry about a stereo. JMHO

No worries, I see the damage of wrecks everyday at work. Safety will come first, just asking about the more creature comfort stuff.

I don't see why you can't upgrade the stuff that nobody will see, like the brakes and the transmission.

Brakes will be upgraded. As far as the trans, that's a tough one. I don't want to swap to a floor shifter and as far as I know, the only column shift trans would be the 3.03 3 speed that Ford did in 67+. I don't believe that bellhousing will mate to a block as early as mine. I'd have to make an adapter plate or something.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
6cyl sled with two extra doors, do as you please.. I don't know of a single purist that would be upset. It is kinda neat it's so original but I wouldn't be able to keep it that way.

Users who are viewing this thread