How safe am I with a postal money order?

Evenflow

Established Member
I prefer to use paypal but a guy I am buying a rail off of for my AR15 does not want to use paypal, he wants to use a postal money order. Never used one before, how well am I protected using this if he does not ship the item or something?

oldmodman

Established Member
You are not protected in any way.

Once he has the money order he can cash it at any post office. And if he does not ship your part the post office will not care.

oilwell1415

Established Member
I prefer to use paypal but a guy I am buying a rail off of for my AR15 does not want to use paypal, he wants to use a postal money order. Never used one before, how well am I protected using this if he does not ship the item or something?

It may not be that he doesn't want to use Paypal, it may be that he can't. Paypal=ebay, and ebay doesn't allow firearms or accesories to be sold on their site.

Does the guy have any feedback of any kind? I would be more comfortable if he did. Screwing someone via Postal Money Order used to be mail fraud and taken seriously, but apparently not any more.

LS2GTO

Established Member
Anything other than paypal DOES NOT have a paper trail or receipt of the transaction. If you send him a money order, you have just as much of protection as sending cold hard cash. There is no record of this transaction whatsoever, so if he cashes the MO and doesn't send squat you have NO WAY of proving you sent any money. As bad as paypal is, at least you have a receipt for something you sent. If you send a MO/cash/wire trasfer than you have nothing.

Dusten

Established Member
Anything other than paypal DOES NOT have a paper trail or receipt of the transaction. If you send him a money order, you have just as much of protection as sending cold hard cash. There is no record of this transaction whatsoever, so if he cashes the MO and doesn't send squat you have NO WAY of proving you sent any money. As bad as paypal is, at least you have a receipt for something you sent. If you send a MO/cash/wire trasfer than you have nothing.

So you're saying the postal service doesn't provide a serialized receipt with the money order that shows its amount and who it was drafted to? Because when SVTP was doing the raffle to raise money for larry i dealt strictly in PO money orders and i had a stack of stubs from them to prove i had the MO drafted and send to SID on here.

oilwell1415

Established Member

That is not even a little true. Every money order I've ever purchased comes with a barcoded receipt with the amount on it that the purchaser keeps. It will have a phone number on it that you can call to see if, when, and where it was cashed. Sounds like a paper trail to me.

pimpdout98gt

bigdog
Established Member
keep the money order receipt and attached stub on the money order. put all information on the stub like receiver, address, date amount and what you are purchasing. in court he will need to prove with receipts and tracking numbers that he sent you something. it should work out in your favor in court if it ever goes that far. but you always run into that option of someone not sending you something you just need to keep all receipts and transactions. no matter how small.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
That is not even a little true. Every money order I've ever purchased comes with a barcoded receipt with the amount on it that the purchaser keeps. It will have a phone number on it that you can call to see if, when, and where it was cashed. Sounds like a paper trail to me.

Ditto.

Some of you are dumb.

Last I heard, it's actually considered mail fraud which is also a felony rather than a misdemeanor iirc.

Users who are viewing this thread