How slow can you go?

mysicman

Resident Pill Pusher
Established Member
How slow can you go? UPDATE

Well we're heading to the track this week-end (weather permitting). They shut down a small airport and run on one of the runways. I've been a spectator before, but this will be my first time running the clocks. I consider myself an average driver. I have access to DR's but will probably run my street tires due to stock 28 splines. Mods are in my sig.

What do you think I'll run?

What could it run?

I'll post pics and times next week.

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
super sweet car by the way..love that pic, DR's will be fine i ran 315 nittos on mine with stock everything...handled it just fine after multiple trips and tons of burnouts..i just ran a 13.2 at 107 witht he KB in 90* heat on street tires so you should be mid 13s if you hit those gears

mysicman

Resident Pill Pusher
Established Member
Thanks for the encouragement and compliments guys :rockon:

Its a 2 hour drive one way for me so thats where my apprehension in using a sticky tire comes from. We'll see. I had a trailer lined up but ran into a last minute hitch.

This will be the first use of the track this year, so I'm not sure how much traction there will be. The good thing is I've been practicing my launching out on some back roads so hopefully...... it will be fun regardless. I'm hoping for a 13.7 @102-3.

Mike

mysicman

Resident Pill Pusher
Established Member
super sweet car by the way..love that pic, DR's will be fine i ran 315 nittos on mine with stock everything...handled it just fine after multiple trips and tons of burnouts..i just ran a 13.2 at 107 witht he KB in 90* heat on street tires so you should be mid 13s if you hit those gears

I was reading your adventures over in timslip. Sounds like you guys had a blast! I bet that KB pulls like a freight train. Glad you got the install and tune to come together.:beer:

Mike

APMotorsports

Established Member
Not to rain on anyone's parade...but I have ran my car twice, once stock= 8.9 80.3mph 2.20 sixty (1/8th mile)...then I went back after exhaust mods only and 305 nitto drag radials=kaboommmm-after a good 2nd gear burnout the lights dropped and I side stepped the clutch @ 2500 and blew every tooth off the ring gear!!! It stunk, but it was good reason to install the 4:10s...be careful if this is your DD, but if its not throw the DR's on and you most likely will be fine, I just wanted you to know it's not granted.

mysicman

Resident Pill Pusher
Established Member
Not to rain on anyone's parade...but I have ran my car twice, once stock= 8.9 80.3mph 2.20 sixty (1/8th mile)...then I went back after exhaust mods only and 305 nitto drag radials=kaboommmm-after a good 2nd gear burnout the lights dropped and I side stepped the clutch @ 2500 and blew every tooth off the ring gear!!! It stunk, but it was good reason to install the 4:10s...be careful if this is your DD, but if its not throw the DR's on and you most likely will be fine, I just wanted you to know it's not granted.

Thanks for the heads up. Thats exactly what I'm afraid might happen.

Khobra97

Established Member
I had countless launches on my stock 3.27 rear with my nitto DR's. You shouldnt dump it anyway, you wanna slip the clutch or you'll just spin em.

APMotorsports

Established Member
Well I had 3:73's but do you think that my tires spun when I dumped the clutch? Cause if you're spinning you can't break stuff...the car absolutely dead-hooked and ate up every tooth of the ring gear.

mysicman

Resident Pill Pusher
Established Member
Cliffs:

1. I need the driver mod
2. There is a reason they make DR's
3. Its hard to unlearn how to shift the stock shifter
4. First time at track

First run: 60ft - 2.216 [email protected]
Second run: 60ft - 2.265 [email protected]
Third run: 60ft - 2.353 [email protected]

Long Version:
First off, I never realized how distracting it would be. Definetly harder than I thought. We had pretty good weather, clear, bit of a side/headwind, ~25C. We got to the track at 7:45am and it was already packed.

First run, I lined up against a friend with a 93' notch, so much for no pressure. At least it was his first time as well. I'm running my street tires so I Drive out of the hole off idle. Shift second no problem then promptly miss 3rd! WTF, this is why I bought the MGW. Find 3rd and shift into 4th at 6800 just past the 1000'. I was pretty happy as it was my first run. At least I beat the notch:banana:, he missed 2nd. I tried too hard and didn't let the shifter find 3rd. My fault for sure. 14.6@97

Second run, I drive out of the hole again. I'm a little gun shy and I'm lined up next to a girl in a regular Chevy cobalt, great. I short shift each gear hoping not to get locked out of second (love my t45) or miss 3rd again. I have a clean run. Beat the cobalt,good that would have been embarassing. 14.4@99.

Third run, my dad and uncle show up to watch and I line up next to Brendan in an eaton swapped mach1 (Nickster's). As I drive around the water box (still on street tires) I look over at Brendan starting his burnout giving me a "I'm gonna pull you hard, shit eating grin". I stagged shallow and left at 2800 slipping the clutch. Spun pretty bad. Hit second no problem with a bit more spin, then promptly missed 3rd as I watch Brendan blow by me. As I reach the white post I read "finish line":shrug: and let off, only to then realize it was only the 1000' pole. Got back in and finished in 3rd. 14.4@97.

Overall I had a great time and had a blast. Unfortunately they were having a gamblers race that took up the rest of the day and I didn't get another run. I know I've got to trust the MGW and let it find 3rd. I guess a bit of nerves and old stock shifter habits were causing me some grief. Also I need to be more aggressive with the rpms and shift - I was a bit scared to break something. I really couldn't capitalize on the 4.10's on street tires. That compound they put down might help for slicks but made it tricky otherwise. Next time I'll bring an extra axle and try Brendan's DR's. I fell short of my goal for getting into the 13's ,man I've got a lot left to learn! On another note Brendan's bolt-on Mach ran 12.2@112ish iirc which was a new personal best and Nickster's mach (easton swap) ran 12.4@114 (I think).

Cheers
Mike

mysicman

Resident Pill Pusher
Established Member
IMG_7610.jpg

IMG_7623.jpg

IMG_7616.gif

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
i want to go run mine but i'm affraid i'll break something. ill just have to go for it i guess.

Users who are viewing this thread