How to fix oxidation on clearcoated rims?

mrmustangman357

Established Member
Hi Guys:

Any ideas on what kind of rework is necessary with oxidation below the clearcoat on clearcoated rims?

2z5p3yw.jpg

It is smooth on top but this looks like a pretty involved process to get these looking as-original, isn't it? Any ideas on how to lessen the poor appearance?

Funny that it is only on the lip of these rims and not the spokes....

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I could be very wrong here, but I think the only fix will be a good sand blast and powdercoat.

MattZ28

Established Member
Your best bet is to disassemble the wheels and have the rims refinished. It looks like the clear coat has failed so there really is no easy fix. You could strip and rattle can them yourself, but if you want it to last, I'd take it to a professional. Clear powder coat would also be a good option and will last a lot longer.

oldmodman

Established Member
I have polished a set of 3 piece rims. It was a pain in the ass. If I ever have to do something like that again I will send them out to a shop that does nothing but wheels.
Dissasemble rims.
Use chemical stripper to remove ALL clearcoat.
Polish now bare aluminum with whatever is required. In my case it was sanding with 600 grit, then 1500, then 3000, then several stages of polishing with foam cones. Then several coats of wheel wax.
Then reassemble.
Took one entire day.

mrmustangman357

Established Member
Yikes - you think a sanding with 600 would remove the oxidation and leave behind only clear metal? It looks like a machined lip that was clearcoated in... maybe going right to silver powdercoat looks like the least time-involved process.

Thanks guys

Users who are viewing this thread