how to get 700 rwhp on 91 craptane

jophis37

Established Member
what's the most that can be done on 91/93.

I live in a crap town and I only have 91 or 100 octane available. (as far as unleaded goes.)
I have a 19 psi pulley that requires 100 octane after the mix. It's next to impossible to get 100 octane if you have any 91 in your tank. I find myself wasting tons of gas and money trying to get the 100 octane as the end result. I know I could use torco or some of the other octane boosters, but I'd rather not.

Would it be possible to make 700 rwhp on a built motor w/ 17-19 psi on 91-93 octane?

Last edited:

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
I dont think so. I am in the same boat right now. i am doing a KB 2.6 with a built bottom end, and anything over 630ish ( from what im hearing) will require nothing but race gas.

GodStang

Established Member
302 VT stroker, Stage III crower cams, Kooks lt headers, yadda yadda yadda Kenne Bell 2.8LH pulleyed for 23psi (seeing ~17psi). The usual.

I know I am not the only one there are a good number of other guys doing it also. There is also guys with T/TT that are at 17-19 psi 93 octane that are in the 850-900 rwhp range. So it is doable.

Last edited:

jophis37

Established Member
GodStang said:
302 VT stroker, Stage III crower cams, Kooks lt headers, yadda yadda yadda Kenne Bell 2.8LH pulleyed for 23psi (seeing ~17psi). The usual.

I know I am not the only one there are a good number of other guys doing it also. There is also guys with T/TT that are at 17-19 psi 93 octane that are in the 850-900 rwhp range. So it is doable.

I know a T/TT setup will get me there, but I want to stick w/ the whipple. Are you only seeing 17 psi because of alltitude or because of the built motor and exhaust?, how much timing are you running?

GodStang

Established Member
Altitude is 180 ft above sea level (Columbia, SC). Lot to do with boost loss from bigger blower, cams, LTs, and extra cubes. Was running 23 degrees timing but I am in the middle of adding JLT 110mm MAF, and some COPs so things may change.

Also remember Sambandit made 676/638 on pump gas without cams and his engine was heat soaked.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=387599&highlight=sambandit

Also this guy made 735 on pump gas with a 2.3L whipple.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=387105

The list goes on and on.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
GodStang said:
Altitude is 180 ft above sea level (Columbia, SC). Lot to do with boost loss from bigger blower, cams, LTs, and extra cubes. Was running 23 degrees timing but I am in the middle of adding JLT 110mm MAF, and some COPs so things may change.

Also remember Sambandit made 676/638 on pump gas without cams and his engine was heat soaked.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=387599&highlight=sambandit

Also this guy made 735 on pump gas with a 2.3L whipple.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=387105

The list goes on and on.

Stationed in Texas but use to be stationed in Charleston. Headed there tomorrow am bright and early. Bought my 04 Comp Orange Cobra out of Columbia. Nice numbers and mods...2.2 going on now..think 600 will do her for now-Shane

GodStang

Established Member
Should. I think I know whos Comp Orange you are buying. 600 will be more than fine. Make sure it is tuned well and make sure to get enough fuel.

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
so can over 700 be achieved with a 2.6 KB? you said your only making 17psi, if i pullied a 2.6 for 20 ish, would i achieve the same results? just wondering if you HAVE to have that big of a blower......im in the market right now, so any advice is helpful.

GodStang

Established Member
ESQEddy made 707/705 with 20psi on a KB 2.6LS not LH in 100+ degree weather. His was tuned for 200+mph runs and not for track runs and said if it was setup for track runs he would of had a lot more power out of it. So yes it is possible. Remember boost is only a measure of restriction not a measure of power. Most recommend around 17psi to be run on 93 octane. Now there are people running 21psi on 93 octane.

TRBO VNM

another way is go to a dyno that reads high..lol

someone that is pullied for high boost but making less boost is a more efficient setup. you lose the back pressure but pick up power because the combo is running much more efficient.

GodStang

Established Member
Thats why I dyno at two separate dynos in two separate cities one a mustang dyno and one a dynojet.

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
Dynos can be set to read higher. Bottom line it probably can be done with more cubes and a built motor with some high level of boost, but its not ideal.

High boost+High degree of timing +pump gas= loads of heat for the motor, with a high possibility of detonation and just isn't health at all. Can it be done w/o a turbo... I will only say probably, but not for long and if I invested in a built motor I wouldn't even think of doing it on pump gas.

Last edited:

droptop351

HP maniac
Established Member
yeah that thread that godstang linked earlier to the mamba car was done on prodyno's dynojet which has reputation of reading high. Ive seen cars dynoed on dynojets then taken to prodyno or vice versa and read 30+ higher on prodyno's.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
GodStang said:
Should. I think I know whos Comp Orange you are buying. 600 will be more than fine. Make sure it is tuned well and make sure to get enough fuel.
Nope, bought this car about a year ago from a guy who's wife drove it but they owned a muffler shop of sorts. 16,000 miles, mint, no mods for $26,000..great deal:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread