How to get a Sentra into the 14's

PonyXpress

How to get your Econobox into the 14's **A MUST READ**
compliments of scc

SCC Technical Assistance Program

By Dave Coleman
Photography: Henry DeKuyper

Dear Sport Compact,
First off, let me just say that your mag is the best my friend is subscriber and I steel his copy every month before he even reads it now he wants to kick my ass but I told him instead of fighting we should have a heads up doorslammer only problem he has a Mazda MX-6 with the turbo motor and my Sentra cant keap up I mean my car is fixed up and all but I spend most my money giving it the looks I have full aero and pearl paint and lower three inches and even sub dubs for rims I spend so much on paint and body I have not money left to beat my friends turbo and now he says if I loose hes going pound my ass into the ground can you help me go faster thanks you guys rock.

Scared to Race
El Monte, Calif.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part 1: Free Speed
Every month we get hundreds of tech letters varying from the simple "how do I fit a supercharged Prelude engine in my '73 Civic" to the nearly impossible "how do I get vanilla milkshake stains out of my back seat."

Of these hundreds, our tradition is to cherry pick the easiest to answer, write a trite response, print it in our letters column and go home early.

No more.

Our new editor is afraid that if he doesn't bark a few orders every now and then, nobody will know he's doing his job. And so we launch the new Sport Compact Car Technical Assistance Program, wherein we cherry pick a far more difficult letter and not only offer a suggestion, but actually take on the task of solving the problem ourselves. So much for that afternoon nap.

With this letter, we launch our technical assistance program as this is such a common problem. Looks come first and performance (and your wallet) suffers. Hoping to save a faithful reader from a serious ass pounding, we take Mr. To Race's car to the track for a day and let three engineers and an art history major give it their all. The only limitation given to our crack technical assistance staff has a total budget of $0.

Step 1: BaselineBefore suggesting modifications, it's critical we know where Mr. To Race is starting. His car is a 2001 Sentra SE with the venerable SR20DE powerplant. This is the newest variant of the SR20, with a close-coupled cat, roller rockers, and a four-counterweight crank. None of this matters at all, because without money, you can't extract the tremendous potential of this engine. The car also has heavy 19-inch wheels, cut springs and one of the most aggressive body kits we've ever seen. We find three kittens and a squirrel cowering in fear inside one of the massive front air intakes.

Step 1: Baseline
Curb Weight: 2,762 lbs
1/4 Mile:16.3 @ 84.0 mph
60-foot:2.9 sec.
0-60 mph:8.6 sec.
0208scc_scared28_zoom.jpg

==============================================

Step 7: Styling
Curb Weight:1,674 lbs
1/4 Mile:14.3 @ 93.2 mph
60-foot:2.6 sec.
0-60 mph:5.8 sec.
0208scc_scared25_zoom.jpg

Wow, that's all it took to get a Sentra into the 14's?

Last edited by a moderator:

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
Anyone remember the 80's Hot Rod Magazine with the similar "Caddy Hack" writeup? They chopped up like a 70 DeVille with a 500cid Monster in it. And once it shed the doors, hood, bumpers, and roof...it got faster. Go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread