How to get rid of sticker-burrs?

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
When we moved in last August, our yard was a mess. It was full of sticker-burrs and dead spots. We consulted with then hired a lawn care company who said we need to bag every time we cut and water often to help prevent these sticker-burr weeds from growing.

So, almost a year later, we still have tons of stickers in the yard. I bagged it yesterday and can't imagine how many were in there. So many they were sticking to the riding tractor tires.

Our lawn company says they did post and pre-emergent herbicides over the past year as well as putting down nutrients. I've also put down tons of grass seed and watered the hell out of it.

Anyone else ever deal with these things? How do you get rid of them? :??:

They look like this.

Note: It's great fun when the dogs bring them inside, then I find them when I'm walking barefoot on the carpet.

CRW_9774_1_x575.jpg

Last edited:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
My first experience was when I was about 6 or 7 years old. We were at the beach and my brother and I were playing catch. The ball went over my head and into a fenced area behind me. Jumped the fence and ran about ten feet before I knew what happened. Oh my God did that ever suck. Took forever to get them out, and then jumped into the pool for relief. I would rip up your entire lawn and re-sod, because that is how much I hate those things.

VictorySong

Established Member
Short of ripping them up and drowning them out you can't get rid of them long term. (that I know of) Re-sodding is probably the best route if the infestation is really bad.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
That's unfortunate. I'm on 1.1 acres and probably 2/3 of that is grass. I can't imagine the cost to re-sod that much.

ssssnake

Established Member
I hope there's a solution. I hate to step on those! That, and my dog gets them all in his fur. I have to sit and pick them out because they hurt him too.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I hate those things. I remember as a kid stepping on them. It isn't pleasant. Sorry to hear you're infested with them. Before you re-sod, if you do that, be very sure there is no way their seeds can infect your new sod from bordering areas. Just something I would think you'd want to investigate.

ssssnake

Established Member
I googled...

Finally, How to Get Rid of the Nasty Grass Burrs
I've done the research and the following is the order in which you should carry out your exterminating efforts.

Mow your lawn super short. Drop the height adjustment on your mower a few notches and give your lawn a military haircut. MAKE SURE TO HAVE A BAG ON YOUR MOWER. If you mow without a bag you will spread the fire like crazy.

For the first two weeks, mow once every 3 days. Don't forget to have a bag attached to your mower.

Bring out the Big Guns. Lowe's carries a product called MSMA. It is supposed to be the best. Apply it to your lawn as directed.

The best time to apply it is between May and July. If it's well into August and you are desperate, give it a shot!

MSMA is not an Eco-Friendly product which means it may be harmful to animals and children. Sand Burrs are tough which means you have got to use the best to get rid of them. Go on vacation and apply MSMA before you leave so it can do its thing while you, your family, and your dog are away.

An Organic Weed Killer some mention on this topic is Orange Oil. If you're insistent on going organic, that's a place to start.

Fertilize. Remember how Sand Burrs don't do well with competition? Once you have finished the herbicide cycle, fertilize the heck out of your lawn. Applying it once then again in 7-14 days.

Keep Mowing Consistently and Frequently. Mow religiously and you won't give those evil stickers a chance.

Good luck!

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Burn them. I'm battling them now and was doing ok until we had my son. They kinda took back over in that week. Going to burn them here soon.

Users who are viewing this thread