how to get this off my wheel

maniak87

All Nutz
Established Member
i went to go clean the 10th anniv wheels i baught from shelby guy and there is this road course gunk i cant seem to remove. i used a toothbrush, regular meguiers car wash shampoo, and some meguiers wheel cleaner and it still wont come off. im afraid to use simple green or a degreaser in fear of abusing the paint on the wheel.

wheelgunk001ur4.jpg

wheelgunk002xq3.jpg

mixxer

Established Member
try to clay it off first,if that doenst work engine degreaser and last but not least a little brake clean but dont let it sit on ther too long.

miclightning

SVT Detailer
Established Member
do yourself a favor and do this, and just have it all for later use.

Go buy 2 bottles of the simple green concentrated stuff and a gallon or 2 of Distilled water.

and 3 Empty Spray bottles from any store.

then mix

#1. 3/4 SG to 1/4 Distilled Water

#2. 1/2 SG to 1/2 Distilled Water

#3. 1/4 SG to 3/4 Distilled Water

So all in all, you should have those 3 bottles, and 1/2 a bottle of SG concentrate left.

If you are ever questioning something, start with the 1/4 SG-3/4 DW and work your way up.

They are good to have for other cleaning purposes also

-Sean

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
i had similar stuff on my mercedes wheels. These black marks laughed at simple green, wd40, goof off, etc. It also laughed at prep sol. I moved onto the claybar, which worked but took forever. The only thing that worked was some rubbing with brake cleaner. While I was nervous as shit using it on the paint, it seemed to work without causing any damage.

mixxer

Established Member
Miclightning i disagree please dont tell people to cut[dilute ] a product to make it safer because thats not always the case ,an acid is an acid no matter how much you cut it. \

b) Even a pH 5.0 acid with a dilution rate of 4:1 (as recommended by Meguiar's for their Wheel Brightener) results in a pH 4.5 solution. The dilution of an acid doesn’t make it safer as the addition of a molecule of water to a chemical compound, without forming any other products is known as hydration (i.e. dilution causes the pH to decrease) But since pH is not a very good indicator of the strength of the acid in every system, this approach won't always produce the desired results.

Wheel cleaning is not that difficult, especially if you use the correct tools, they have to work safely but effectively. Wheel cleaners that contain acid are the most dangerous, there are wheel acids that are safe if used with care and the directions are followed precisely. Accidents and expensive wheel replacements can always be avoided if you do some research and are smart about your choices. Always check the products MSDS and its pH value before you use it. It is always preferable that you use a 100% acid-free product with a pH of 7.5 – 8.0

Warning
Before using any chemicals or solvents, carefully read all of the cautions and medical information on the products container and / or MSDS. Always follow all of the manufacturer’s recommendations. Ensure that you wear eye protection and acid-proof gloves; this is mandatory. No matter how safe an acidic product is advertised, never run the risk of it splashing in your eye or permeating your skin.

c) A wheel cleaner formulated with Oxalic acid is a safer yet still very effective cleaning chemical. It will do a better job than alkaline cleaners, but is nowhere near as harmful to the vehicle or yourself. Oxalic acid is a relatively strong "weak acid" Oxalic acid exhibits many of the reactions characteristic of other carboxylic acids, it’s a relatively strong organic acid, being about 10,000 times stronger than acetic acid (Vinegar pH 2).
This acid still needs to be handled with care and diluted correctly, but it’s safer than Hydrofluoric acid yet a very effective alternative.

d) Always check the products MSDS and its pH value before you use it. It is always preferable that you use a 100% acid-free product with a pH of 7.5 – 8.0

miclightning

SVT Detailer
Established Member
Miclightning i disagree please dont tell people to cut[dilute ] a product to make it safer because thats not always the case ,an acid is an acid no matter how much you cut it.

b) Even a pH 5.0 acid with a dilution rate of 4:1 (as recommended by Meguiar's for their Wheel Brightener) results in a pH 4.5 solution. The dilution of an acid doesn’t make it safer as the addition of a molecule of water to a chemical compound, without forming any other products is known as hydration (i.e. dilution causes the pH to decrease) But since pH is not a very good indicator of the strength of the acid in every system, this approach won't always produce the desired results.

hmmm, i feel stupid now.

I thought that it being the concentrate, diluting it with water would make it less abrasive when spray as a mist, less of the SG in a single area.

Im prob wrong, but thats just what I figured.

Users who are viewing this thread