How to install belt

abramsbrian

Established Member
I pried the belt off with a screw driver then put a new pulley and idler on. Now im trying to get the belt back on but its to tight. I was wondering if there is some sort of belt tensioner or trick to put it back on? I have a 07 gt500 :??:

Seahorse

Established Member
You pried the belt off with a screwdriver?! OUCH! Yes there is a tensioner, see below - 3/8" drive and a breaker bar; turn it clockwise to release the tension. You'll need to remove the two bolts holding the coolant overflow tank first, and move it to one side. And check that belt for damage before reinstalling!

5f7b5349.jpg

Last edited:

Zeke0123

Established Member
I pried the belt off with a screw driver then put a new pulley and idler on. Now im trying to get the belt back on but its to tight. I was wondering if there is some sort of belt tensioner or trick to put it back on? I have a 07 gt500 :??:
Get some help...screwdrivers dont belong anywhere near a belt.

Leeiswho2b

I'll be your huckleberry!
Established Member
WOW!!! Was all your braincells fried during adolescence? All jokes aside....

Definitely use the idler arm to put it back on. It's easier to get a pal to slip the belt over the pulley while you are on the breaker bar. That way if it slips it's his fingers instead of yours!!!! Don't use pvc pipe on a ratchet as a breaker bar. Don't ask how I know! For real, it's a lot easier to do with two people, one on the belt, one on the breaker.

Users who are viewing this thread