"How To:" Install Dzus Fasteners for the Radiator Shroud

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
* Mods... I posted this in the GEN 2 section since it is more active. You may move this to the correct section at your convenience. *

For as long as I have owned my truck the OEM plastic retainers that secure the radiator have bothered me. Aesthetically they are cheap and often they are a headache to remove. I decided that Dzus fasteners (quarter-turn fasteners) were ideal for the task. For anyone unfamiliar with Dzus fasteners, they are used to quickly and easily fasten/release body panels, etc. and are common (but not limited) to use on aircraft, competition motorcycles and race cars. Install of the Dzus fastners is quite simple and can be done in only a couple of hours depending on your work pace and how meticulous you are. You will need:

TOOLS:

- Drill
- 1/2" drill bit
- 1/8" drill bit
- Flat head screw driver
- Rivet gun
- Exacto knife (required only if modifying the OEM retainers to be used with the Dzus fasteners)

SUPPLIES:

- .550" oval/button head Dzus fastners * The number of fasteners needed may vary depending on use of e-fans. My application required six Dzus fasteners. .500" Dzus fasteners may also be used but shims will not be necessary. The Dzus fasteners can be purchased in either aluminum or steel. *
- .325" fastener springs (1 3/8" length)
- (12) 1/8" x 1/2" rivets
- (12) 1/8" rivet washers
- Shims (only required if using .550" body Dzus fasteners) * I used 3/8" x 1 1/4" x 1/16" rubber washers to act as shims. 3/8" x 7/8" x 1/16" rubber washers or 1 x 13/32" x 1/16" nylon washers may also be used. *
- OEM retainers (* OPTIONAL * - require modification in order to slip over the Dzus fasteners)

P4230446.jpg

INSTALL:

1) Remove the radiator shroud. Depending on mods the IC reservoir may need to be removed as well.

2) Using the 1/2" bit re-drill the existing holes for the OEM retainers.
P4230444.jpg

3) Position the spring in order to determine where the mounting holes will be drilled. Mark the spots and drill using the 1/8" bit.

4) Rivet the spring into place from the bottom-side of the mounitng surface. Be sure to place a rivet washer onto the shaft of the rivet before tightening the rivet.
P4230447.jpg

Repeat steps 1-4 for the remaining fasteners. The two upper holes on the radiator shroud will need to be drilled using the 1/2" bit in order to allow the Dzus fastener to pass through easily.

5) Re-install the radiator shroud.

6) Secure using the new Dzus fasteners.

If I have forgot any information I will edit the thread as necessary.

After Pics:

P4240455.jpg

* Picture using the modified OEM retainer *
P4260479.jpg

P4240456.jpg

P4240464.jpg

P4240454.jpg

* Picture using the modified OEM retainer *
P4260482.jpg

Last edited:

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
DUDE!!! This is great, i have my truck apart right now and was wondering about things i could use to hold this thing down. You rock man, good mod

OH-MAN

Established Member
Great mod
Mine has been off for quite a while.:shrug:
This will get me to reinstall it.
Dzus buttons are great!!!

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
Were did you get those bad boys?

Where'd you buy them and how much?

I bought them at a local speed shop, but eBay has them also. I really had to have hands-on in order to figure out what size body and springs were needed. The fasteners were $2.25 each and the springs were $.75 each. The rubber washers (shims) were bought at Lowes for a couple bucks.

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
Ok hommey, where the hell did you put the rubber shims?

Put the Dzus fastner through the shroud then slip the rubber washer over the end. It is below the shroud but on top of the support the springs bolt to. Also, the shims will keep the fastner from falling out of the hole and it will also allow a tighter fit with the .550" fastners. Without the shims the fit was a little loose. With the .500" fasteners you can't use the shims and the fit was tighter than I liked.

MaxPower

She likes Spaghetti
Established Member
Put the Dzus fastner through the shroud then slip the rubber washer over the end. It is below the shroud but on top of the support the springs bolt to. Also, the shims will keep the fastner from falling out of the hole and it will also allow a tighter fit with the .550" fastners. Without the shims the fit was a little loose. With the .500" fasteners you can't use the shims and the fit was tighter than I liked.

I'm still lost.:??:

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
I'm still lost.:??:

With the shroud off the truck slip a Dzus fastener through the shroud then slip a washer over the Dzus fastener (on the underside of the shroud). The hole in the washers I listed are small enough that it won't fall off once its in place. Do the same for the remaining fasteners then install the shroud.

And how do line up all the slots on the heads of the fastners to where they are all pointing the same way?

All of the fasteners are made the same so before riveting the springs to the truck I held a spring and placed a fastener on it in the locked position. Then I held it in the spot it was going to be mounted and eyeballed it. I wanted all the flat head slots to run parallel to the cab and for the most part they look good, but unfortunately they're not all perfect. I'm sure there's a way to be more precise than the eyeball method.

MrClean

ADDICTED
Established Member
Great find and write up.:rockon:

I've been looking for an alternative before I have mine done in CF. Those stock pins are a pain in the butt to work with.

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
Awesome! More $ to sink in this truck :lol1:

Fortunately its only around $25.

Very nice touch Allen.. Seriously though, that is one hellaciously clean engine bay bro.. Probably the sharpest I have seen in long while.. :beer:

Ahh, Young Skywalker... I've already told you my engine bay cleaning secrets. Not to worry though, yours will be much cleaner than mine in the near future.

FordFanStan

Established Member
Very nice mod. I was going to use stainless allens or something similar on mine, but now you have me thinking, I may just use the Dzus fasteners as well, simple reason being easy removal if need be. Thanks for posting buddy, Stan

Users who are viewing this thread