How to lower your clutch pedal for quicker, firmer, shifts and performance driving.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
utfan98 said:
"Once you are done, with the clutch cable sitting squarely against the firewall adjuster, you may want to modify the clutch cable for more room around the valve cover by putting a flat spotting the round flange. I have not yet done this in the pictures".

Do you have a pic of this modification?

The flange on the cable is round, just make it a D shape towards the valve cover

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
Special thanks to go out to Large.....I completed the MM pedal height install today. I have to say muuuuuuch better. You definately need Steed's quick release vs. Fiore's component. I tried both and adjusted both, Fiore's did not allow the trans to get into reverse as easy, no matter the adjustment. It also engaged and release immediately off the floor without smooth shifting.

Instead of installing a new cable (only to save time), mine was just fine. I bought a new on from Steve for $40. Die grinded the end off, removed the black piece with the tabs. Cut the tabs off and filed it smooth. I then took a side cutting bit on a Dremel and increased the ID of the plastic piece to barely accept the clutch cable already installed on the car.

I got creative with cutting the side of the round portion if the clutch cable to clear the valve cover (it really did not need it even considering engine movement). I outlined the side of the PVC and valve cover, and cut it to shape to make it look like a fit piece.

I recommend this mod to anyone who does a FWA and quad.

2003 Silver

Banned
I have the freeplay mod, Fiore Micro Click adjuster and UPR quandrant and just installed the MM pedal height adjustor. We had really bad problems getting it into reverse and had to do many, many clicks to get it to work and at that point it felt like I have to ride the clutch forever to get it to go. Help me please before I drive it thru a wall on purpose. Secondly, at wot I have trouble getting it into third...it goes, but nowhere near as easily as it did prior to my pedal height mod install.

BTW...I want to keep the pedal height mod as my left knee has tendonitis and this mod made it basicly unnoticeable when shifting.

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
It sounds like you need a Steeda quick release and a proper adjustment of the clutch.

Difficulty getting into gear (if your clutch is still good) sounds like the clutch is not fully disengaging. I do not know the ramp slope on the UPR, the MM pedal height adjustor works much better with the Steeda quad. Do what this thread says, it will work.

2003 Silver

Banned
utfan98 said:
It sounds like you need a Steeda quick release and a proper adjustment of the clutch.

Difficulty getting into gear (if your clutch is still good) sounds like the clutch is not fully disengaging. I do not know the ramp slope on the UPR, the MM pedal height adjustor works much better with the Steeda quad. Do what this thread says, it will work.

I have a new clutch..the whole nine yards. Can someone summarize exactly what I need to do??

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
1268Melberger said:
I have a new clutch..the whole nine yards. Can someone summarize exactly what I need to do??

You need to buy the steeda QR quadrant before you go any farther. You can't get into 3rd or reverse because you aren't getting enough clutch fork travel with the lowered pedal. To put it another way, the clutch is not releasing enough. The QR quadrant will give more clutch fork travel with the same amount of pedal travel and solve your problem.

2003 Silver

Banned
LargeOrangeFont said:
You need to buy the steeda QR quadrant before you go any farther. You can't get into 3rd or reverse because you aren't getting enough clutch fork travel with the lowered pedal. To put it another way, the clutch is not releasing enough. The QR quadrant will give more clutch fork travel with the same amount of pedal travel and solve your problem.

Thanks I will order one now. Do I still need to perform the other mods in regards to the washers etc. once I get the steeda?

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
1268Melberger said:
One last thing....can I still use my stock cable?? I saw in here where I might need a new one....

would not recomend getting new (aftermarket) cable, they are junk, use stock cable,

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
1268Melberger said:
One last thing....can I still use my stock cable?? I saw in here where I might need a new one....

You can use your stock cable, but you might have to make a spacer for it. Otherwise you will have the firewall adjuster screwed out alot.

Last edited:

2003 Silver

Banned
LargeOrangeFont said:
You can use your stock cable, but you might have to make a spacer of have the firewall adjuster screwed out alot.

No offense, but I don't know what the heck you said after the word..."cable,"

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
1268Melberger said:
No offense, but I don't know what the heck you said after the word..."cable,"

Sorry, typo.

I edited the original post.

Look at the pictures of the firewall adjusters on the first page. Specifically the wrong way versus the right way and you will see the spacer I am refering to. I used the OEM parts as the spacer. Alternatively, you can easily make a spacer of your own.

Last edited:

payjota

03 Cobra
Established Member
Question

Great wright up!!

Installed everything and now awaiting tranny install.

Thanks

03 Cobra

Last edited:

69Mach1351w

Established Member
based on the pictures, the fiore quad, looks like the same ramping as the steeda. I may purchase the steeda, and if its a steeper ramp ill keep it, otherwise i guess ill send it back

quick_release_clutch_quadrant_175.jpg

fiore6.jpg

I still think my tranny is just built on a friday

Last edited:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
69Mach1351w said:
based on the pictures, the fiore quad, looks like the same ramping as the steeda.....I still think my tranny is just built on a friday

they're different profiles

I'm not sure what the work week is like in Mexico, although I believe mine may have been done by a night shift.........it has NOCHE hand-painted on the top of the case

Last edited:

Ellik

Established Member
reading this thread, I just bought the MM clutch height adjuster to go with the stack of parts for my T56 swap. I already purchased the Steeda Firewall Adjuster and the Steeda Double Hook Quadrant. Should I ditch the double hook for the Quick Release?

Tedisky

Need more Money!!!!!
Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
Adjustment - You will now have very little free play. I have maybe 1\4 inch of free travel before I can feel tension. The clutch starts to grab about an inch off the floor. It is critical that the clutch is adjusted properly. The total clutch travel is now about 50% of stock, so you have very little room for error. If it is too loose, you won't be able to get into gears when the clutch gets hot, and if it is too tight, you will kill the TOB and the clutch could start slipping with you foot off the pedal.
How do you know if the clutch is adjusted properly, before you break something? Mine goes into all gears, but I don't want it to be too tight and kill the TOB.

Thanks for this post, I did it today and it made a world of difference!:rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread