How to research the rareity of your car?

no1sirbutler

Established Member
Ive seen several people say that their car is #1 of so many. I was wondering how people find this information. I would like to research my gt and see how mahy were made w/ my trim package. Thanks for the help.

Mike

DSG04Lightning

U.S. PARATROOPER
Established Member
if its just a GT not that rare.... with the SVTs you get a build # and how many were made!

i had a mach 1 that was 1 OUT OF 842(or something like that)

i have a SVT lighting now that is #2057 of 3781 built in 2004

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
+1000, your car is not rare. It is one of one by ownership though, if thats any consolation to you!!!

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
most that say #1 of XXX don't mean it was the first to be made.,., only that it is one of few made

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Now THERE is a very very rare car. There was only ONE numbered 896.

LOL, yeah just because a car is one of however many in a certain color, unless its about 10, its not worth it to even research it.

"My car is 1 of 1 Blue GT with grey interior, manual trans and the big headrests, built in Dearborn on a Tuesday in which the date was a prime number"

I really hate people who sell their Cobras for more money because they say it's rare.

TL95SVT

Clean & Simple!
Established Member
Depends on how far you want to take it..

By color, year or options?

For instance... I have a 1981 Mustang T-Top Notchback.

Its Light Pewter Metallic. If you were just basing it on this, it may be 1 of 20,000

It has Red Interior. If you add this into the equation... it might be 1 of 8000

It has an inline 6 with an automatic transmission. When you factor this in it maybe 1 of 2,000.

It has T-Tops, No A/C, Manual Windows/Locks, High Back Bucket Seats, Ect. Now it maybe 1 of 5.

Last edited:

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
unless your mustang is a Cobra R or a classic mach, Boss, Shelby (GT350 or 500) etc it is not rare

There were only 347 ZY 01 Cobras made...hardly rare IMO

Last edited:

no1sirbutler

Established Member
I wasnt researching for the value factor. I was researching b/c Ive never seen another one w/ the same trim as mine and was just curious. Its a gt and know its not rare. Maybe I shouldve of used unique. After some searching, I did find out some stuff.

My car is a 2001 Electric Green gt w/ tan interior. It also rolled off the assembly line in the 2002 trim. In 2001 they only made 2,793. Thats 1.8% of the total mustangs made that year.

So say what you want. I was curious and now foind out why I have yet to seen another electric green w/ tan interior w/ the 2002 trim.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I wasnt researching for the value factor. I was researching b/c Ive never seen another one w/ the same trim as mine and was just curious. Its a gt and know its not rare. Maybe I shouldve of used unique. After some searching, I did find out some stuff.
My car is a 2001 Electric Green gt w/ tan interior. It also rolled off the assembly line in the 2002 trim. In 2001 they only made 2,793. Thats 1.8% of the total mustangs made that year.
So say what you want. I was curious and now foind out why I have yet to seen another electric green w/ tan interior w/ the 2002 trim.

You got the point well. Rare and unique are not equal. uniqueness is pretty easy to prove one way or the other. what people make of rarity in regards to mustangs is, for the mot part, full of stupid. Here is a write up on the "uniqueness" of the 04 mystichrome which some call "rare" and others think is way to common when viewed behind the stupid glasses.

RDJ said:
I have said before it is not rare .. but it IS unique. and how rare it is depends on the context you put it in.

It is the ONLY color that is totally unique to the Cobra.
It is the ONLY color changing paint available from the factory
It is the ONLY color that came with chrome wheels standard

put in the context of total mustang production or put in the context of V8 production Mystichrome is the most rare of all the colors. If you count only cobras then it isn't ... really pretty simple but some of you are not good at math so here are the numbers by color of total mustangs.

ColorQuantity
Black............................................. .....22,094
Sonic Blue -------------------------------9,036
Azure Blue (Mach 1 Only)........................1,309
Oxford White----------------------------16,846
Tropic Green.........................................3,44 5
Redfire----------------------------------19,068
Torch Red...........................................15,9 35
Crimson Red (40th Anniversary Only)------- 4,529
Screaming Yellow................................... 7,501
Competition Orange-----------------------6,426
Silver Metallic----------------------------19,755
Dark Shadow Gray.................................18,415
Mysti-Chrome .......................................1,010 (All Cobra)

so in terms of total mustangs the only one that comes even close is the AZB Mach 1. and they made more of those that the mystichrome cobra.

as you can see how "rare" something is pretty dependent on the glasses one wears.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
What most people are missing is that rare and desireable are completely different things. Sure, his car is rare, so are ours (the SS is one of 375), but desireability isn't expressly implied. The only other car we seriously considered buying just based on rarity was a Mystic Teal '99 SS Convertible - it was a 1 of 1 car, and I love that color. Rare? Certainly. Desireable? Guess not, it sold for around 12k.

Users who are viewing this thread