How to sell a classic stang

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
Looking for some recommendations from you guys. I am in charge of selling my dads 1965 Fastback mustang. I believe in throwing a "wide net" via multiple websites and magazine ads when selling something unique like this. I was going to start with Cars.com and AutotraderClassics.com for the first websites along with Hemmings and Wheeler Dealer magazine placement.

I do have a one-star rating on Ebay, but don't know if I trust the process of throwing an old & mint stang on Ebay, thoughts?

Anyone care to share some thoughts, opinions, suggestions on how I go about selling this thing? It recently appraised by a local classic car dealer for 40k, which we all know "appraised" versus the "actual" sell price could be way different.

Thanks guys!:beer:

GeorgiaSnake

Established Member
My son is selling his nice but not quite finished 67 Coupe. I have an ad here on SVTP for his Mustang. If anyone knows someone looking for a nice 67 contact me by PM and I will get you in touch with my son. The Car is located in Charleston SC. It is Green with white stripes. It has a 351C and a C-6.

The Snake

billsigf1_zps0d79b1a4.jpg

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
What is the condition of the car? Is it original? Modified? Is it documented? What trim level and what engine/drivetrain combination?

If the car is a run of the mill 65 that is in "driver" condition and complete, but doesn't have documentation or sought-after features, I'd advertise it like any other car.

If however the car is in a quality survivor or restored condition with a sought after feature set (fast back, GT/CS, Shelby) or fits in to the current trends like pro-touring you may want to consider listing the car at auction.

Eds01Lightning

Established Member
Back in February this year I sold my 56 F100 Custom Restomod Pickup on eBay. Had a positive experience and got top dollar with very few hassles from potential bidders. Guy that won the bid (39k) bought it from the ebay ad plus alot of extra pictures I sent him and had it picked up..all sight unseen. He was happy and so was I. Actually, I bought it off CL a year and half earlier from CA sight unseen strictly from MANY phone calls and ALLOT of pictures. Had it transported to me 3k miles away..again site unseen. Most everything was as presented and I enjoyed the truck and won many shows with it. You certainly have to be careful though..and be able to read people well too! :beer:

jconnor3

Established Member
Where in the midwest do you live? There is a free magazine call Auto-RV that covers Indiana and all the surround states I believe. You can chose to have it in all states or a specific one and there is a specific classic/hot rod section you can put it in. It gets pretty good circulation and that's how I sold my 68.

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Vintage mustang forums would be a nice place to find value. Otherwise I'd stick it on eBay. I don't see a Barret Jackson setting unless its a K code or a Shelby. And even then I'd still probably veer towards eBay. There are so many of these cars, not much sets them apart.

sixt5

Established Member
dont know if im violating the terms here by listing other sites so mods can remove this if needed.

craigslist first
stangnet
vintage-mustangs
ebay

no way i would take it to an auction like BJ. tv has ruined the market for "normal" classic cars like a 65 mustang when it comes to being at BJ. if you had a 69 mopar hemi 1 of 1 blah blah blah, id go there in a hearbeat.

Users who are viewing this thread