How to tell?

M.O.E

Screw head
Established Member
I just got a 04 L and it has a few mods, C&L intake. It looks like it has a crank pulley its silver.. But how do i tell if the blower pulley has been changed? Has a new gatorback belt. I need to figure this out.

bgstew6

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
Established Member
just measure the diameter of the lower pulley....

stock pulley is caged and has three mounting arms that attach to the Timing cover and a solid dampening pulley.

aftermarket are typically two peice design, yet there are some one peice designs, but both have no cage asssembly that hold it in place. They are held to the crank pulley via three bolts in the center.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
You deff have a lower pulley if its silver but if you have an Eaton supercharger you prob dont have an upper pulley........most of us have kept them stock

bgstew6

Established Member
hope you have a tune (Via chip or handheld device) for the mods.

M.O.E

Screw head
Established Member
^^ That why i'm asking. I whouldn't need a tune for just a crank pulley and a Intake right?? The pulley on the eaton is black with a screw in the middle looks to be stock. Can some post a pic of the eaton pulley?

Edit: After looking at the link for lower pulley sizes. Is the crank pulley what changes how many pounds of boost you're pushing?

Last edited:

bgstew6

Established Member
if the increase in boost via either the upper or lower pulley is enough you better have a tune for it.....

Getting a tune for any increase in boost will ensure that you get the most out of it and safely

M.O.E

Screw head
Established Member
This may be the reson why i have a rough idle and a little sputter leaving a stop light normal (not geting on it) I cleaned the MAF and that helped a little.
So i guess now i need to get a dyno tune?

bgstew6

Established Member
so you have no handheld tuning device
is a chip installed...

if not...then you prob been running lean and burnt up some plugs a little

I would not be gettin on it until yuou figure out what you have and if you have all the right things in place to support what you have on it...

You dont want to join the Vented Block Club, and a dealership wont warranty a popped motor from it being modded.

M.O.E

Screw head
Established Member
bgstew6 said:
so you have no handheld tuning device
is a chip installed...

if not...then you prob been running lean and burnt up some plugs a little

I would not be gettin on it until yuou figure out what you have and if you have all the right things in place to support what you have on it...

You dont want to join the Vented Block Club, and a dealership wont warranty a popped motor from it being modded.

No tuning device that i know of. I just bought it on the 4th, tomorrow it goes in the dealer for the rough idle.. Man i'm lost to what is done to this truck :??: It runs strong when i get on it. But now i Wont be opening it up till i find out what all is done!

bgstew6

Established Member
better watch out when you take it in to the dealer....they might flag your shit in the database and void any warranty that it might have left on it, if its been modded.

M.O.E

Screw head
Established Member
I bought it from the dealer i'm taking it to tomorrow. they know its moded my friend is the one that sold it to me.. Either way sound's like you're telling me to get a dyno tune or a handheld tuner? Before geting on it anymore right?

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
Until you are able to figure out exactly what you stepped in I would agree that you should take it easy before you find yourself in a bad way. This is the place for answers, just ask. Also, pics may help us help you. Snap some shots of the engine bay and post them so we can look for after market items.

BTW... If I were you I'd kick my buddy in the junk for placing his best interest (and commission) above my own welfare.

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
M.O.E said:
Either way sound's like you're telling me to get a dyno tune or a handheld tuner? Before geting on it anymore right?

A hand-held is necessary for tuning purposes. When purchased they contain "canned tunes" which are general to Lightnings with specific mods (i.e. 4# pulley, 6# pulley, exhaust, etc.). "Canned tunes" ARE NOT specific to your truck. Due to this they allow your truck to operate more "safe" than without the tune, however, the best way to ensure your truck is running up to its potential SAFELY is to shell-out the money for a dyno tune from a reputable tuner.

Do your research on tuners. Again, this is the place to find out if there are any highly recommended Lightning tuners in your area. If not, it may be in your best interest to drive the distance to someone you can trust. Personally, I never have and never will use a canned tune. Most people who use them have done so with no issues... I prefer to optimize the money I have invested in mods and know exactly what's going on with my tune.

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
M.O.E said:
After looking at the link for lower pulley sizes. Is the crank pulley what changes how many pounds of boost you're pushing?

Pulley ratio is what dictates boost PSI. For example, stock pulley diameters are 2.93" for the upper and 7.50" for the lower. 7.5"/2.93" = 2.55 ratio (the upper pulley makes 2.55 rotations for every one rotation of the lower pulley).

More boost can be achieved by:
-Retaining the stock upper and using a larger lower pulley (EX. 9.00"/2.93" = 3.07 ratio).
-Reatining the stock lower and using a smaller upper (EX. 7.50"/2.75" = 2.72 ratio).
-Using a smaller upper in conjuction with a larger upper (EX. 8.0"/2.75" = 2.90 ratio).

Basically, the pulley ratio number indicates the number of rotations the upper pulley makes in the time it takes for the lower pulley to make one revolution... the higher that ratio, the faster the supercharger is spinning, and ultimately the more boost.

Now to REALLY mind f*ck you... boost is simply a measure of pressure. Boost is affected by numerous variables and is not a constant. Such factors as air density and mods can result in higher/lower PSI reading. You could take your truck at sea level and see 14 PSI of boost... then with the exact same set-up go to Denver and see 12 PSI of boost (due to thinner air density). The addition of headers or other exhaust components which are less restrictive may cause you to see less boost PSI since they are more free flowing and result in less back-pressure. Also, in cooler temperatures you will most definately see higher boost PSI due to more dense air than in hot weather.

Clear as mud :dw: :??: :dw: ? I know this is a lot of info and your thinking :fm: WTF!!!??? :cuss: :cuss: .

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
Here's a pic of a an OEM upper pulley... not the best, but may help out. Should be lipped with no holes machined through it and a plastic cap in the center (which may be marked with a grease pen).

P4070190.jpg

P4070183.jpg

M.O.E

Screw head
Established Member
Aight i just checked my lower pulley it's 8.50 = 4lb. Now i need to figure out if has a tune already or get a tune :shrug: And i notice it has magnaflow exhaust, bilstin shocks (do these shocks come stock from svt?)

Last edited:

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
Front: Short-and long-arm type, coil springs, tubular gas-charged Bilstein shock absorbers, 31mm solid stabilizer bar

Rear: Solid axle, staggered gas-charged Bilstein™ shock absorbers, five-leaf springs, 23mm solid stabilizer bar

2004 Lightning Spec Sheet

Users who are viewing this thread