how well do the GS-D3's really hook?

neckdemon

Established Member
i just bought an '03 cobra. and my first "mod" will be better tires. traction with these F1's is total crap. i can barely get on the gas in 1st or second gear. it's frustrating. so anyway i was going to buy some nitto DR's. but i keep hearing about these GS-D3's. question is is the traction good? i've had nitto's vefore on my fox body stang;s and they hooked great. but obviously tread wear and wet weather is littel bit of a concern. question is do these GS-D3's hook? i don't want to waste my money on them and be disappointed. in that case i'd rather just get the nittos and take it easy in the rain.

optx002

Established Member
i have 315 gsd3s in the rear, and they hook much better than the f1s. they def wont hook as well as the nittos, but will def be better in rain and colder weather.

neckdemon

Established Member
i'm 95% certain i'm going to go with the nitto 555R's in the back and the 555's in the front. i know for a fact the nitto's will hook. and i've driven the tire sin the rain before, and while they may not be the best, they are fine a slong as you take it easy. even with regular tires i never drive fast with any mustang in the rain.

neckdemon

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
if you're looking for a compromise tire stop wasting everyone's time.

number one rule of auto racing:
the racers best friend is the racing tire

bring a set of track tires with you to the strip when you go. compromise sucks.

no, i'm just looking for a tire that's gonna hook. i have no experience with some of these tires ( like the gs-d3) and was hoping some people could give me some info. from the info i've benn gathering i've pretty mch determined that nothing is going to work even close to how drag radial will. i just have no interest in wasting my money on a tire that i will be disappointed with.

04torchred

Established Member
BigZach said:
How much power are you making?

Yeah if you are stock you should not be spinning in second gear! I am basically stock with what I have and the only way I can spin in second is going around a corner and gassing it hard or flat footing first gear and powershifting to second(then I spin for a while)

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
I spun in first pretty bad with my F1's. When I got my GS-D3's, I spun only sort of bad in first. When I got my nitto's, my spin went away in first, unless of course it's cold out.

Overall, the GS-D3's stick only slightly better than F1's, and not nearly as good as nittos. In the rain though, they are amazing.

neckdemon

Established Member
04torchred said:
Yeah if you are stock you should not be spinning in second gear! I am basically stock with what I have and the only way I can spin in second is going around a corner and gassing it hard or flat footing first gear and powershifting to second(then I spin for a while)

hmmm, well i bought the car from a dealer with 11,000 miles on it. it looks to be bone stock. 1st gear is virtually useless if i want to get on it. 2nd gear is half-way useless. i don't even have to try very hard to get it tp spin. if i try it will just wheel-hop (which is something i plan on fixing soon). the nitto's are on their way. i will have them mounted and force-balanced by next weekend. taking it easy in the rain is something i do with mustangs anyway.

l3d0hna3d

Established Member
GSD3's are bad ass tires. They are the street tries on the regal, and we have nitto dr's for track tires. The nittos suck, you have to really get them hot to get them to stick.

Average 60ft on nitto drag radials is like 2.0-2.1 with a good burnout they hit a few 1.8's and 1.7's after you REALLY heat them up; but I could get 2.0 60's all day on the GSD3's and they are the best tire in the rain hands down.

cobra29svt

Established Member
i hope this will answer your question. the GS-D3's will not hook nearly as good as a drag radial. they are street tires, not drag tires. they are an excellent street tire. i have 285's (GS-D3's) and can spin in the 1st 3 gears w/ around 460 rwhp. it will spin in 2nd at aprox 1/2 throttle. if you are looking for a good street tire, the GS-D3's are great.

cobra29svt

Established Member
03gobluecobra said:
Overall, the GS-D3's stick only slightly better than F1's, and not nearly as good as nittos. In the rain though, they are amazing.

the GS-D3's are way better than the stock F1's. the F1's are junk.

cobra29svt

Established Member
l3d0hna3d said:
GSD3's are bad ass tires. They are the street tries on the regal, and we have nitto dr's for track tires. The nittos suck, you have to really get them hot to get them to stick.

Average 60ft on nitto drag radials is like 2.0-2.1 with a good burnout they hit a few 1.8's and 1.7's after you REALLY heat them up; but I could get 2.0 60's all day on the GSD3's and they are the best tire in the rain hands down.

not sure what the average on irs equiped cars is, but the average ive seen on solid axle cars w/ a decent burn out is 1.8's. not sure what kind of car you were getting the 2.0's w/ the GSD3's in, but if it was a 03/04 cobra, that impressive.

03Cobra_Poison

Established Member
with warm weather around the corner i would go with the nittos. mine get totally bald in less than 4 months but they stick like a mofo in high speed corners and 0-60s. :pepper:

Users who are viewing this thread