How will Ford "Raptor" respond to Rebel TRX V8? GM lurking too.

kaz109

Established Member
I see it as a different market. I believe most people buying an EB want easy out of the box. You take a performance off road truck like the Raptor and clearly has demand for 2 engine choices. There are people on this forum that have explicitely stated this. So, offer 2 options. It's not hard at all to do with the F150 already engineered with one. An EB for those that want a turn key truck. Coyote for people that want a V8 or to make a boosted V8 monster. The Coyote Raptor market would probably be like the Mustang market. How many would buy the Coyote and buy a Whipple, Roush or VMP TVS kit? Happens all the time with Mustang GTs and GT350s. How many would take it on as a Twin Turbo project? A few I'd imagine.

Kaz is trying to beat to death the point of there never being a manufacture to offer 2 engines in a top end model so Ford should never. Ram is about to prove that a boosted V8 will sell like hotcakes in the high performance off road truck segment and force Ford's hand.

Kinda like Ford is forcing Jeep to actually have to consider selling their Wrangler with a Hemi as a factory option to attempt to keep market share from the Bronco.

The difference is that Raptor came with a V8 option Gen 1. There is a precedent there. Point blank. With that, I've said my peace and I cant wait to see the TRX go head to head with Raptor.

You keep saying the Gen 1 Raptor had a V8 as an option.... when that isn't even a fact because an option by definition means either or. There was no either or you're only motor option for the Gen 1 was a V8 lol.... just like the only motor option available in the Gen 2 was it EcoBoost. This isn't that hard to grasp, Ford has been just as consistent as they were in the beginning.

" ram is going to prove a boosted V8 is going to sell like hotcakes" ......lol....Well DUH...... in another news ram is going to prove that the sky is blue lol

I know what Ram is not going to do and that is offer two different Motors in the TRX. Kind of like they did not offer the 6.4 in the rebel....hmmmm I'm seeing a pattern here .

I get it you and others are offered the motor that you want in a vehicle so you think there should be an option to have said motor but again the fact of the matter is no car companies do that.

Last edited:

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Part of the reason, and some of you will not like this, is purely do to Ford's commitment to the EB line of engines. It's an effective branding, marketing, and PR tool, not necessarily driven by which engine is the "best", or preferred by the consumer.
I'm not dead set on the EB. But bottom line, it is Ford's best performing engine. That is the engine I want in my truck. If they had decided to put in a worked over Coyote that that turned out to be as fast or faster than the EB, then I would have been happy then.

I see it as a different market. I believe most people buying an EB want easy out of the box. You take a performance off road truck like the Raptor and clearly has demand for 2 engine choices. There are people on this forum that have explicitely stated this. So, offer 2 options. It's not hard at all to do with the F150 already engineered with one. An EB for those that want a turn key truck. Coyote for people that want a V8 or to make a boosted V8 monster. The Coyote Raptor market would probably be like the Mustang market. How many would buy the Coyote and buy a Whipple, Roush or VMP TVS kit? Happens all the time with Mustang GTs and GT350s. How many would take it on as a Twin Turbo project? A few I'd imagine.

Kaz is trying to beat to death the point of there never being a manufacture to offer 2 engines in a top end model so Ford should never. Ram is about to prove that a boosted V8 will sell like hotcakes in the high performance off road truck segment and force Ford's hand.

Kinda like Ford is forcing Jeep to actually have to consider selling their Wrangler with a Hemi as a factory option to attempt to keep market share from the Bronco.

The difference is that Raptor came with a V8 option Gen 1. There is a precedent there. Point blank. With that, I've said my peace and I cant wait to see the TRX go head to head with Raptor.
There are a shit ton of S/C Gen1. Know why? Because they're dog shit slow otherwise. I also know more than a few that had to do engine work to support said S/C. Let's be real though; since when has ford cared about the mod-ability of their vehicles? Never.

kaz109

Established Member
The GT350 and 500 are virtually the same cars minus the drive trains, so I'm not sure why we are getting so hung up on this whole concept of having only one engine option. Corvette's been doing it for decades as well. They just slap a tiny little plastic badge on it, and it's magically a different car.

These are huge profit centers for them. Call it a damn Raptor R if that makes people feel it's a super special version of their halo car.

Solely for the sake of this discussion I'll ask you a question, let's say I prefer the motor from the GT350 but I would prefer to have the trans of the GT500....... can I order a GT500 and check a box that gives me the 5.2L FPC option? Or vice versa, can I order a GT350 and check the 5.2L SC option box?

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
The GT350 and 500 are virtually the same cars minus the drive trains, so I'm not sure why we are getting so hung up on this whole concept of having only one engine option. Corvette's been doing it for decades as well. They just slap a tiny little plastic badge on it, and it's magically a different car.

These are huge profit centers for them. Call it a damn Raptor R if that makes people feel it's a super special version of their halo car.
You went off the deep end here. Without trying to find every difference, maybe the GT350 and base GT500 are close to the same. But a GT350R and CFTP GT500 are extremely different. Then onto the Corvettes, it's just a simple badge change between the CX-CXZR1? @kaz109 is talking about the halo version of the car, they don't have 2 engine options.

kaz109

Established Member
LOL, I tend to do that after a few cold ones, and take no responsibility for what is said the rest of the night:D

I am COMPLETELY on board with this!!! Let me play catch up and from now until further notice nothing can be held against either one of us hahaha

Sn95Snake

Established Member
Some buy the raptor for a status piece. I'm some will buy the trx for the same. But more power doesn't equal a better offroad rig

I could not agree with the statement above more. Sure more power is always fun, but in certain situations it can just lead to more broken parts.

Now I hope the TRX performs amazingly as competition is generally awesome in the car world. But more power in an offroad setting doesn't automatically equal better.

kaz109

Established Member
Obviously a market for it otherwise these guys would be out of business. V8 Raptor conversions:

V8 Raptor and Diesel Raptor Conversions by PaxPower
captain-obvious-approves.jpg

kaz109

Established Member
All of the guys there want a V8 option in a raptor going to be putting down a deposit on the TRX come release day?

My94GT

Established Member
All of the guys there want a V8 option in a raptor going to be putting down a deposit on the TRX come release day?
If I didn’t already have a ram I’d consider it but the bath id take on my 19 vs the likely ADM on top of the I bet at least 70k+ price is too rich for me lol. I look forward to seeing them however and maybe I’ll consider it once sealed lots have them sitting and those 8-10k mark downs happen

kaz109

Established Member
If I didn’t already have a ram I’d consider it but the bath id take on my 19 vs the likely ADM on top of the I bet at least 70k+ price is too rich for me lol. I look forward to seeing them however and maybe I’ll consider it once sealed lots have them sitting and those 8-10k mark downs happen

I don't see why this TRX would be any different from the hellcats with the dollar per HP deals dodge runs. Should be easy to get for all who want .

My94GT

Established Member
I don't see why this TRX would be any different from the hellcats with the dollar per HP deals dodge runs. Should be easy to get for all who want .
I would imagine shortly there will be deals to be had. I just don’t know if they will be good enough to have me want to jump to one. My current ram is almost paid for and it’s got 46k miles on it, the deals are so good on new ones I imagine trade in value would be horrid on mine. For the money I’d eat I bet I could pay to hellcat swap it lol. We’ll see though, in another year it may be a different market, I’m not one of those need to have it the second it comes out type of buyers.

kaz109

Established Member
lets just hope the new Ford CEO has some balls and thinks of the enthusiast buyer. Would love to see a GT500 motor in the F150, doesnt have to be raptor, could be a lightning rebirth.
Also in the explorer too, bring back SVT. They can put a coyote variant in the escape as well.

Shelby F150 already has a SC V8 in it, it's about as close to a lighting as you can get

kaz109

Established Member
lets just hope the new Ford CEO has some balls and thinks of the enthusiast buyer. Would love to see a GT500 motor in the F150, doesnt have to be raptor, could be a lightning rebirth.
Also in the explorer too, bring back SVT. They can put a coyote variant in the escape as well.

maxresdefault.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread