How would you invest a Million Dollars?

Evil Bender

Rabid Roadie
Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Now is the time IMHO to buy real estate. Some thing like a duplex or two,people will be renting more than buying for the next four years

DCOURTS

Established Member
First off, contact your financial advisor for advice, not the forum. I happen to be a financial advisor myself and have had many clients that were in your situation. Regardless of the small fees you will pay, advice from a financial professional is priceless.

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
Give some of it to members of SVTP. Spread the wealth, right?

Seriously, I'd probably spend some of it on a house or condo to rent out and or on a IRA. The majority of it would end up in my account.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
First off, contact your financial advisor for advice, not the forum.

+1

FWIW, I would be very careful buying up real estate right now. The market is down compared to prices 5 years ago, but those prices were up to 100% higher than they should've been anyway, imo.

129saleen

Saleen poster
Established Member
Before I give you my professional opinion I want proof of this so called million dollars you have... You can just pm the account numbers the money is in and that will be enough. Otherwise I call :bs:

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
:dw:

+1 on the financial advisor

+2 who ever said the Roth IRA and the 5% CD were also good ideas. Despite the fact that 1 million isn't what it used to be, if you are intelligent and even remotely frugal it will easily keep you for the remainder of your years.

sorry to hear about your loss.

i3ooivl

Established Member
+2 who ever said the Roth IRA and the 5% CD were also good ideas. Despite the fact that 1 million isn't what it used to be, if you are intelligent and even remotely frugal it will easily keep you for the remainder of your years.

sorry to hear about your loss.

you can only put 5k a year in a roth....

I'd talk to my financial advisor, but keep it in a high yeild savings/checking account until you figure out a plan. With the higher balance you get pretty decent rates (3-5%) and you still have liquidity.

cobrastrike4

Established Member
At this point what are you leaning to?
What is your age, responsibilities, current financial status and your short/long term financial goals?

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
is my math in my head off?

10k a month for 12 months is 120k or 12% on your 1 mill invested!

if that money can actually increase profit by 10k a month is that not a great investment?

1. emergency funds for both your family and your business.
2. pay off your personal debt!
3. savings/retirement
4. family growth/protection(this includes health care, life insurance, 529's)
5. personal/family investments
6. business growth/investments

for the past 85 years up until jan 08 the sp 500 has ave 10.7% growth every year! yes these numbers include the great depression, and oct 87 which was statistically worse than oct 08! this is double the return on todays 5% cd's!

Last edited:

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Invest in real estate while the cost is low. It will come back.
+ 2 on financial advisor.

Koval7887

Established Member
I'd pay off my student loans and then build a Terminator myself from the ground up with top of the line everything. After I have my master's in a few year's I'd get my phd, and invest the rest.

Users who are viewing this thread