Hp guess on et and mph pls with just 3.1 upper

xx2busa

Established Member
2004 cobra 56k miles, k&n 1, 3.1 pulley, home ported eaton, manga flow cat back. Dryer hose ram air. Best on street tires tonight [email protected]

Is this good for just these mods?

Any ball park guesses on approx hp?

Thanks

turbotrail93

6 speed king!
Established Member
I'd say its good for not Having a tune for the mods, which I'm guessing you don't wanting to know HP.

I'd say there is more in it as bone stock cobras have ran around that ET. Your MPH is decent though.

I think competition on here has ran in the 11's with a bone blower; upper only and exhaust.

xx2busa

Established Member
I'd say its good for not Having a tune for the mods, which I'm guessing you don't wanting to know HP.

I'd say there is more in it as bone stock cobras have ran around that ET. Your MPH is decent though.

I think competition on here has ran in the 11's with a bone blower; upper only and exhaust.

Actually it was tuned before porting blower, the tuner does awesome work, I have pulled away from a few cobras with considerably more set ups then mine. He gave me a dyno sheet 513hp and 587 torque. I said these numbers are incredible, he said be happy I have a freak....then he asked how a lightning maf got on the car...I said I have no idea I bought the car brand spankin new....

Cars don't seem to run as fast out here in az, I had the second fastest car out there....a trailered pro charged fox totally set up for drags that trapped 121 mph beat me but that was it.

Also just to emphasize I was running un heated street tires.....

C.Hicks26

SVT-888
Established Member
Why did he say it has a lightning maf? I ask that because the cobra maf is a 90mm maf just as the lightning is. I would say those numbers are a bit on the high sIde as far as power but idk.

xx2busa

Established Member
Ok so what was the 60' and
What's your elevation?

Why did he say it has a lightning maf? I ask that because the cobra maf is a 90mm maf just as the lightning is. I would say those numbers are a bit on the high sIde as far as power but idk.

He said when he started to tune something was wrong, he asked if I had 87 octane in the tank....I said no way 91 for sure....then when I picked car up is when he said the lightning mass air threw off his initial start of tune. He said the numbers on top of maf indicate lightning part number.

I think they were high as well, and in doing more research wouldn't my maf be pegged?

Also I added cold air hose and home ported blower after the tune, which some say that's ok and others say re tune

mustang john

Established Member
If you dynoed 500+rwhp and race at 1200' elevation then no its not very good at all. Ported Eaton guys with 500+rwhp are usually over 120 in the 1/4 pretty easily. 116 traps are usually pulled by upper only unported Cobras in the 450rwhp range. Just giving an honest opinion.

Last edited:

xx2busa

Established Member
If you dynoed 500+rwhp and race at 1200' elevation then no its not very good at all. Ported Eaton guys with 500+rwhp are usually over 120 in the 1/4 pretty easily. 116 traps are usually pulled by upper only unported Cobras in the 450rwhp range. Just giving an honest opinion.

If I was running drag radials I know my et would be better but wouldn't my traps be higher as well?

6of my runs were mid 13s trapping 113,114

xx2busa

Established Member
^^Ditto--no disrespect but there is nothing "freak" about the car..

It's all good bro, like I said I thought the numbers were inflated, especially with just a 3.1

I can tell u this for a fact though, my buddy has a 03 running 17pounds, steg stage 5 port and on a side by side 3rd gear pulls I walked away from him every time.....that's before I ported my eaton....there doesn't seem to be any obvious issues with his car mechanically, so either his tune really sucks or my car does run damn good or combination of both.....I raced a camaro ss on a 3rd gear pull and completely destroyed it. I think they trap 110 ish stock and I can tell u it if I'm only trapping 116 at the drags then it should have been a much closer race in my opinion.

xx2busa

Established Member
I can tell u though my 6 runs in the 13s where because of that damn wheel hop, I had to lift off in 1st every time...1 run it hopped in 1st I let off then got back on it, it immediately started hopping so I short shifted to second and ground the crap out of second, but I know I didn't miss second, it had to have been that damn wheel hop......FYI now my differential is leaking:(

mustang john

Established Member
Rationalize it all you want 116 traps are upper only unported territory, i think i used to trap 116-118 back when i was unported with a 2.8 upper pulley and ran in the 11.8 range on drag radials back in 03'. I have trapped the same on street tires as i have on drag radials. A side by side 3rd gear pull completely eliminates the driver from any performance equation and is just a car vs car, the track on the other hand requires driver skill to show good performance numbers. Get some sticky tires and some seat time and watch the numbers improve!

xx2busa

Established Member
Rationalize it all you want 116 traps are upper only unported territory, i think i used to trap 116-118 back when i was unported with a 2.8 upper pulley and ran in the 11.8 range on drag radials back in 03'. I have trapped the same on street tires as i have on drag radials. A side by side 3rd gear pull completely eliminates the driver from any performance equation and is just a car vs car, the track on the other hand requires driver skill to show good performance numbers. Get some sticky tires and some seat time and watch the numbers improve!

No question I am a poor drag racer, that's why I feel there is more mph on the table....I saw another post here of a Shelby just hittin 11s but his trap mph was only 119 and the post states he is over 550 hp at the wheels.

I raced my hayabusa about 3 months ago and my highest trap was 125 mph on a bike that should be hitting close to 140.... No wheel spin to worry about just trying to keep from looping it in first gear....bone stock but runs awesome. Any how I have 4 decent examples that my car could be 500 hp, just my op though. But I'm happy and content how hard it pulls with just a few mods

mustang john

Established Member
No question I am a poor drag racer, that's why I feel there is more mph on the table....I saw another post here of a Shelby just hittin 11s but his trap mph was only 119 and the post states he is over 550 hp at the wheels.

I raced my hayabusa about 3 months ago and my highest trap was 125 mph on a bike that should be hitting close to 140.... No wheel spin to worry about just trying to keep from looping it in first gear....bone stock but runs awesome. Any how I have 4 decent examples that my car could be 500 hp, just my op though. But I'm happy and content how hard it pulls with just a few mods

As long as your happy with the way the car performs then thats all that matters. But the car will run much quicker with some sticky tire and practice in the 1/4 the way it sits. Even if your 116 mph is all it has thats good enough for low low 12s for sure, it all depends on what your priorites are.

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
I went 11.75 @ 117.9 with a 2.90 upper and tune making 444rwhp. Stock intake, stock air filter, stock catted exhaust. Had slicks and skinnies on it.

Your car did not make 500+ unported. There's ported cars that don't make that much power, and your ET's speak for themselves. Not being a dick, just stating facts.

Last edited:

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
If I was running drag radials I know my et would be better but wouldn't my traps be higher as well?

6of my runs were mid 13s trapping 113,114

Actually, the opposite. Cars trap higher when they spin, and less when they hook. On my hooking 11.75 pass I trapped 117.9, on a spinning 11.90 pass I trapped 118.1

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
Did you really just type that 117.9 and 118.1 are significantly different?....
Nice.

They are. That was the difference between a 1.74 and 1.80 sixty in my case. Imagine what's going to happen when the OP goes from 2.2x sixty at 116 to a 1.7 sixty hooking?? 114mph if he's lucky :bash:

Users who are viewing this thread