Huge marijuana bust by my house!

Juiced-03

Established Member
I can't believe how close this was to my grandparent's house! I always love to hear things like this though, as I absolutely hate drugs. I can't believe people would think they could get away with a huge crop like this on public hiking land. It's amazing to think I could drive by that location and not even know what is going on.

Video here:
http://cbs13.com/local/local_story_226135100.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
163-RP-POT-COLLECT-AND-COUNT212.jpg

291752-pot-lift.jpg

291752-pot-carry.jpg

At least 40 heavily armed law enforcement officers raided two marijuana gardens blooming within a few miles of some of El Dorado County's most expensive homes.

Investigators linked the marijuana patches to one of Southern California's toughest criminal gangs.

No one was arrested but when the dust had settled, about 6,000 plants, many more than 6-feet tall, were seized.

There also was evidence that a like amount had already been harvested, said Lt. Kevin House, spokesman for the El Dorado County Sheriff's Department.

Monday's eradication effort was another local shot in the annual statewide war against what some say is California's biggest cash crop. The street value of the gardens raided Monday was probably in the $5 million to $8 million range considering what was confiscated and what had been harvested.
The camouflaged gardens on public lands were spread across steep, brush covered hillsides off Salmon Falls Road, within sight of million-dollar homes and Folsom Lake, about three miles from El Dorado Hills.

"We don't usually find many grows this close to civilization," said Gordon Taylor, assistant special agent in charge for the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration Eastern Division of California.

Markings carved into a tree and evidence found on the hillside indicate that the marijuana growing operation was orchestrated by the Surenos, a southern California-based gang that is in turn linked to the Mexican Mafia, Taylor said.

"This is organized crime and that is what we are finding with a lot of these operations that use Mexican nationals," Taylor said. "This is big business."

Even though California voters legalized marijuana use for medical purposes, law enforcement officials still view the weed as a damaging and pervasive problem.

"Recreational" use in the Sacramento region pretty much mirrors what is being seen nationwide where marijuana "is rated as the No. 1 abused drug," Taylor said.

But there is nothing recreational about what the drug does to some young users, Taylor said.

"More teenagers are entering drug treatment programs for marijuana abuse than for all other drugs combined," Taylor said.

"There is a lot of marijuana still out there and it is having a tremendous influence on society," House said. "It is a gigantic problem."

For Sacramento area teenagers, lighting up a joint may be as commonplace as tapping into a keg of beer, he said.

"It is every bit as common as that," House said.

Special Weapons and Tactics teams from three counties spearheaded the early morning sweep near Salmon Falls Road. They were accompanied by California National Guard soldiers, DEA agents and other personnel associated with the state Department of Justice's "Campaign Against Marijuana Planting."

The first units into the area moved warily making sure that no armed guards or booby-traps were in the area. Manzanita, buck brush and poison oak grew so thick along the steep hillsides that individuals could easily have hidden in the bursh.

Along with the pot, they found an abandoned camp, strewn with garbage, some ammunition and an intricately designed drip irrigation system.

As the summer sun rose, the officers and agents began the back-breaking job of hand-pulling the plants before hauling them out to loading zones. The piles were placed in large mesh baskets and hauled away by helicopters. The rugged terrain and lack of access made the work slow and hard.

Black plastic pipe extended throughout the area providing water to plants placed individually and in small clumps. One growing area used water piped out of Sweetwater Creek while the other system tapped water out of Falls Creek.

Although the gardeners had carefully sited their operation in an attempt to keep it hidden, their irrigation system gave them away.

"This investigation started in May when a citizen observed PVC pipe that looked suspicious," Taylor said.

In one garden officers found a lean-to drying room with about 20 plants hanging inside. Plants in that garden were about 3-feet tall. Plants in the other location were more robust many at least 6-feet tall.

"This is a pretty typical Mexican national garden," said Ray LeLoup, special agent with the federal Bureau of Land Management.

LeLoup was looking over the pile of garbage, a propane stove, shovels, fertilizer and other debris that had been left behind along the damaged hillside.

During the "harvest season," LeLoup spends a lot of time busting brush in an area that stretches from near Fresno all the way to Redding.

"I probably do two or three of these a week," LeLoup said.

Early indications point to a busy local marijuana season. Earlier this month a similar outdoor garden was eradicated near the El Dorado County community of Greenwood. During the same time frame a joint task force broke up an indoor growing operation in Elk Grove and seized another 2,000 plants.

The campaign against planting is run by the state Department of Justice in conjunction with federal and local law enforcement.

Good job guys, hopefully one day I'll be able to join you in clearing out these drugs!

Last edited:

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Nice bust. I had the opportunity to work the CAMP program several times, different points in my career. Great experience for sure.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
Very cool! Mostly because I f*cking hate gangs and I love it when you can do some serious financial (hell, any) damage to them.

Blacknblue

SVT G-Force Tester
Established Member
This stuff scares the hell out of me. I send staff out to inspect land all of the time. Now we have the Mexican mafia in here (I live and work in El Dorado County). I have been contemplating getting a concealed gun permit for some time, maybe now is the time, but I prefer calling the LEO ahead of time.

A local land owner got shot in the head (but lived) by a guard at one of these plantations in this county a few years ago. I do routinely check with the LEO before doing site inspections on some properties.

oldmodman

Established Member
These hidden farms are everywhere!

Just after the big Malibu fire a few years ago a friend of mine stumbled on what looked like a group of "day laborers" raking up burned brush. She just assumed that they had been hired by a neighbor to clear burned brush. But when she got within a couple of hundred feet one of them looked up the hill toward her and started moving in her direction. Luckily she was at the top of a really steep hill because she spotted a pistol in his hand. It's amazing how fast a 60 year old woman can move when she wants to! She called the Malibu Sheriffs Office and they sent out two cars right away. And yes, she had spotted the very early stages of a dope farm. The deputy that came out and took her report said that by planting as soon as possible after a fire the illegal activity would be hidden by the very fast growing undergrowth. And with the dope plants being in an irregular pattern amongst the native plants they would be very hard to spot from the air.

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
Should just make that stuff legal...this country pisses away tens of millions of dollars a year...arrests 750,000 people a year and as a result...it costs half what it did 15 years ago. Same with any drug they are trying to stop. When I was 15 years old cocaine cost 300 dollars an 8-ball...now it goes for 85 dollars an 8 ball. Same for grass...20 years ago it cost 130 dollars an ounce...now, it goes for 70 dollars an ounce. Want the huge gardens in public lands to stop, make it legal. Want the killing of innocent hikers, campers etc...make it legal. Want to put the gangs out of the dope growing business...make it legal. Just one more way for Uncle Sugar to "prove" he's trying to keep your babies safe from the boogie man.

FBMphil

Established Member
Yellow98SVT said:
Should just make that stuff legal...this country pisses away tens of millions of dollars a year...arrests 750,000 people a year and as a result...it costs half what it did 15 years ago. Same with any drug they are trying to stop. When I was 15 years old cocaine cost 300 dollars an 8-ball...now it goes for 85 dollars an 8 ball. Same for grass...20 years ago it cost 130 dollars an ounce...now, it goes for 70 dollars an ounce. Want the huge gardens in public lands to stop, make it legal. Want the killing of innocent hikers, campers etc...make it legal. Want to put the gangs out of the dope growing business...make it legal. Just one more way for Uncle Sugar to "prove" he's trying to keep your babies safe from the boogie man.

Or put a tax on the shit. Bankroll another war with it...

czwalga00gt

Rx7 Soul Destructor
Established Member
Yellow98SVT said:

I'm 21, never even touched weed or any drug (not counting alcohol) and I completely agree. I dont want it legal because I want to do it, just becuase if people **** up their lives its their own damn fault. The government needs to stop being a big brother and let people have their own accountablity.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Blacknblue said:
This stuff scares the hell out of me. I send staff out to inspect land all of the time. Now we have the Mexican mafia in here (I live and work in El Dorado County). I have been contemplating getting a concealed gun permit for some time, maybe now is the time, but I prefer calling the LEO ahead of time.

A local land owner got shot in the head (but lived) by a guard at one of these plantations in this county a few years ago. I do routinely check with the LEO before doing site inspections on some properties.

Yeah I can understand your concern. You might remember last year around the same time there was a pretty big pot garden in Folsom behind the Kikkoman factory on Folsom Blvd (a CHP helicopter found this one). I just can't believe people grow these things on public land. I mean it's bad enough doing it on your own land, but in public? What if some family was hiking along and they come trotting through a Mexican Mafia garden during harvest time? The outcome can't be very good.

Oh, and by the way, it's fairly easy to get a weapon permit in this county. I can recommend a good handgun safety instructor if you need one (required to get the permit).

Last edited:

Juiced-03

Established Member
czwalga00gt said:
I'm 21, never even touched weed or any drug (not counting alcohol) and I completely agree. I dont want it legal because I want to do it, just becuase if people **** up their lives its their own damn fault. The government needs to stop being a big brother and let people have their own accountablity.

I disagree, but I respect your opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread