Humming noise from rearend?

IneritaSVT

Fuel Slut
Established Member
I for the last 2 weeks am getting a humming sound from the rear end and I think it is the Diff or Pinion Bearings. I know my clutches are shot and i justing wating to put a True Track in it. Just want to make shur its not my ring and pinion gear.

emig5m

Hear it WHINE!
Established Member
Does it come in and out at a certain speed or is it constant? When it's making the noise, if you let completely off the throttle, does it go away and then comeback when any amount of throttle is applied?

Lightningfr

Banned
emig5m said:
Does it come in and out at a certain speed or is it constant? When it's making the noise, if you let completely off the throttle, does it go away and then comeback when any amount of throttle is applied?
i noticed mine doing it at like 45 mph you cant hear it at all till that speed

SVT_Gixxer1000

Crazy Canadian
Established Member
These Ford rear ends are funny, mine was a seal blower and leaker, it was fixed under warrenty and touch wood, no problems since. I have a friend with a 2004 f-150 2wd xlt and he has had nothing but problems and he is 68 years old.

CHIZ

GeoMetros worse nightmare
Established Member
SVT_Gixxer1000 said:
These Ford rear ends are funny, mine was a seal blower and leaker, it was fixed under warrenty and touch wood, no problems since. I have a friend with a 2004 f-150 2wd xlt and he has had nothing but problems and he is 68 years old.

:poke:

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
If it's always present (in and out of the throttle) at speeds over 20MPH it sounds like a pinion bearing. Pretty common on these rears. I have to agree with Fade. If your gonna do a True Track then just replace everything and be done with it. Ring and pinions aren't that expensive and I wouldn't want to have to take it all the way apart again.

pitstain

I love appetizer samplers
Established Member
SVT_Gixxer1000 said:

So...this male penguin goes out for a Sunday drive and his car breaks down. Luckily for him there is a garage nearby and he coasts on in.
The mechanic says "I'll take a look at it but it's gonna be awhile."
The penguin says, "That's okay, I see an ice cream stand just down the road and I think I'll go get myself an ice cream cone."
So he waddles over to the stand and gets himself a double-scoop vanilla ice cream cone. It's a little tricky holding on to it with his flippers, and he gets ice cream on his beak and his face. By the time he's finished the cone, he's back at the garage.
The mechanic looks up from under the hood and says, "Looks like you blew a seal."
The penguin indignantly replies, "It's ice cream, buddy. I ain't that kinda guy."

SVT_Gixxer1000

Crazy Canadian
Established Member
There is this guy in line at the bank waiting to see the banker, as the line is slowly moving along the guy behind him reaches up to his neck and starts giving him a massage. The guy says " knock it off buddy" and proceeds to wait his turn in line. A few minutes goes by and the guy tries it again, so he abruptli twists to the side and says "Stop it", a few minutes goes buy and he tries his massage on the guy again, then he says " look buddy whats your problem?, I'am a married man" he replies " I' am a massage therapist and I just have talented hands, the other guy says " thats fine, I' am a Lawyer and do you see me trying to F*** the guy in front of me?.

IneritaSVT

Fuel Slut
Established Member
I am having the rearend completely redone the rigth way the pinion bearing was badly worn and that slop in the bearing made the ring and pinion gears have a bad wear pattern. I replacing the gears and diff from ford racing. The diff is one the ford racing makes. I also going to replace any and all seals and gaskets. Amazing what 1300 will do for you.

emig5m

Hear it WHINE!
Established Member
My hum comes in at around 40mph and leaves at 45mph (peak volume at around 43mph). At the speed when it's doing it if you let off the gas it 100% goes away and comes back as soon as the slightest amount of throttle is applied or you go above or below that speed range. The best way I can describe the sound with words is it sounds almost like the S/C starting to spin up at about the point when you're neither in the VAC or boost but kinda sounds like it's resonating through the drive shaft? Anyone have any idea's what it could be? Maybe I'll go take the camcorder and see if I can record the sound later....

I know when a bearing went in my 98's rear, it sounded more like an whirring exhaust leak then a hum. That also went in and out if the throttle was applied/let off.

pitstain

I love appetizer samplers
Established Member
you only have 16,xxx miles on her? WOW I'm surprised you have that issue, but I did hear an odd hum like your R&P mesh is out of whack

Users who are viewing this thread