Hunters: I need your opinions on what caliber rifle I should buy

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Nikkon, Leupold make great optics. You get what you pay for just keep that in mind. Im rocking a decent Bushnell scope on mine, 4x14, its not the best manufacturer but it has yet to loose its zero with as much as i take it in and out of the case

SCcobra4me

ON3 U LUZ
Established Member
Had my dad not given me my scope as a gift which is a Bushnell, I was scoping out (no pun intended) a Nikon for about $250. Nikon seemed to be the clearest to my eye and I would've went that route.

I guess as long as you can see the furry little guys and have to power to put them down, what more do you need? I could care less if I have the best equiptment out in the woods, just as long as it's sufficient.

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
Okay, when it comes to Nikon Rifle Scopes, what's the difference between Mildot and Nikoplex. I know what BDC is.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I guess as long as you can see the furry little guys and have to power to put them down, what more do you need? I could care less if I have the best equiptment out in the woods, just as long as it's sufficient.

I guess if you enjoy hunting and only shoot what you want or think you're shooting it pays to have good optics. Me, I can see if a deer is a Button Buck or a Doe out to 300 yards and over. Others might not be able to tell that well under 200 yards. So some shoot and then walk up and realize they just took a perfecty good buck out of the low buck population. Not a good scenario yet it gets played over and over again everywhere.

Another reason for good optics.

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
not a bad price either!!!:rockon:

i have a Leupold VXII that is very similar to that Nikon in look, price and performance...good choice!

Thanks! I'll have it by Tuesday and then I can go get my rifle. I'll probably go next weekend so I can take the scope with me and have Bass Pro mount it and boresight it for free.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
^Ha you got a 4.5 x 14 so you did good in my book. Nikon makes a good scope also. Now just practice squeezing that trigger so you can shoot some accurate groups. If you were close I'd do a trigger job for you.

Oh and good luck and keep up posted if you shoot anything.

Last edited:

cuban

Established Member
save yourself a headache and get a .308 with a 3x9 leupold sp? good in brush great in the open. or do like i do use the 308 on stands and get a good lever action 30-30 for the brush.

back home there is an unwritten rule about shooting a buck with less than 8 points or a 10'' spread, its not a law but all the land is private and when word gets out you didnt follow the rules you lose land privelages.

Last edited:

SCcobra4me

ON3 U LUZ
Established Member
I guess if you enjoy hunting and only shoot what you want or think you're shooting it pays to have good optics. Me, I can see if a deer is a Button Buck or a Doe out to 300 yards and over. Others might not be able to tell that well under 200 yards. So some shoot and then walk up and realize they just took a perfecty good buck out of the low buck population. Not a good scenario yet it gets played over and over again everywhere.

Another reason for good optics.

Agreed, I guess my point was some of this sheot gets pretty pricey so don't worry if you don't have the absolute best out there. My .308 with scope ran about $800-900 total 5 years back and there were a whole lot of more expensive options out there.

not a bad price either!!!:rockon:

i have a Leupold VXII that is very similar to that Nikon in look, price and performance...good choice!

This is the one I have also.

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
^Ha you got a 4.5 x 14 so you did good in my book. Nikon makes a good scope also. Now just practice squeezing that trigger so you can shoot some accurate groups. If you were close I'd do a trigger job for you.

Oh and good luck and keep up posted if you shoot anything.

I'm pretty good at applying shooting fundamentals. I'm an 8th award Expert with the M16A2 which is the USMC's highest shooting award (Except for Distinguished Shooters). We shoot our weapons at man sized targets from 500 yards through iron sights.

Users who are viewing this thread