Hybrid/Elecric Cars

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
I've never been impressed with the hybrid's fuel mileage numbers. I had a friend with a hybrid camry and he was always in the low 30's, and the car was gutless.

Manual trans civics can reach upper 30's, maybe 40. VW TDI's can get 40+. I had a friend with a little saturn 4cyl/5spd car that routinely got 44.

Anything above that and fuel mpg differences become very negligible.

I'm the same way. It seems like you would never make your money back on one if you compare it to something like a Civic.

Fuerza

Established Member
Not to be a dick, but, in leasing, you choose how many miles you want to drive on an annual basis. It doesn't matter if you want 10,000 or 50,000 per year. As long as you can afford the payment you can drive the mileage of your choice.

Would you mind elaborating on that some more? I mean you still have a mileage penalty when you turn in the car if your over. If you trade in you still have high mileage depreciation. In some way shape or form you're going to pay for excessive wear and tear.

If I'm wrong let me know the secrets, because the 2 times I have leased it was a disaster.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
OP - If you do in fact drive 100 miles a day, a Volt would not be the most practical out of the cars you like. Here is some reasoning.

The volt can get up to 50 miles in one charge. If you have a way of charging the Volt at work, it would work out. Takes roughly 8-9 hours to charge using a 115 outlet. On the gas engine, the Volt will usually see 40+ MPG on the highway, and around 35-37 MPG on the street. It has a 9 Gallon tank, so you can usually go over 300+ miles on those 9 gallons.

If you want a car that is extremely well made, a good amount of options, and to be a dedicated Electric car, the Volt is the way I'd go.

Our Volt has been amazing since we've bought it. Granted, the price is high (To correct Stanley, MSRP on the Volt is actually $39.995.00) you get a hell of a lot that comes with it.

We've put around 4,000 miles on the car, and have maybe spent $90.00-$110.00 in gas. I think we have used around 15 gallons of gas at most, which is pretty good.

The civic is a good car all around, but, I can almost guarantee it is not a better built car, and does not have the same or similar options, and since it is a complete Gas engine, it will require more maintenance.

Really depends on your budget and what you are looking to spend. A loaded volt is going to be around $47,000 out the door with tax/title, etc. You do get some good options, a solid warranty on the battery and the power-train, and a great car. It's not practical if you are looking to save a ton of money and have a shitbox DD. It is a luxury car that drives and handles VERY well, and doesn't require the use of gas if you drive under 50 miles to and from or have the ability to charge the car at work.

If you need some more information, I'd be happy to provide that.

We love our Volt, and don't regret buying it. We wouldn't be happy with a Civic/Optima or a VW as we don't really care for those types of cars and have no desire to own one. We save enough money even though the Car Payment is higher than the car we traded in, and we spend an additional $40 a month on electricity to charge it every day. (You also can get up to $11,500 in rebates from both Federal and State taxes which is another bonus)

-Chris

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member
I've never been impressed with the hybrid's fuel mileage numbers. I had a friend with a hybrid camry and he was always in the low 30's, and the car was gutless.

Manual trans civics can reach upper 30's, maybe 40. VW TDI's can get 40+. I had a friend with a little saturn 4cyl/5spd car that routinely got 44.

Anything above that and fuel mpg differences become very negligible.

The differemce between a plug-in Hybrid and a non plug-in Hybrid, in regards to gas mileage is quite different. Regarding the Civic and Saturn, did you read my original post where I said it needed to be at least a midsize vehicle due to being 6'5" and 265 lbs. I can't fold in half to drive a vehicle.

Buy a left over '12 civic with the r18 engine and drive it till the wheels fall off. People have gotten 300-400k miles out of them. Hybrids suck

See above

I'm the same way. It seems like you would never make your money back on one if you compare it to something like a Civic.

I am leasing, not buying so making money back doesn't matter to me. Especially since I can write a lease off and not a purchase.

Especially when that civic, saturn, or TDI would cost 5 grand or less.

See above.

Would you mind elaborating on that some more? I mean you still have a mileage penalty when you turn in the car if your over. If you trade in you still have high mileage depreciation. In some way shape or form you're going to pay for excessive wear and tear.

If I'm wrong let me know the secrets, because the 2 times I have leased it was a disaster.

You only have a mileage penalty if you go over on miles. Remember that in leasing, you purchase your miles up front. So, if you end up being under you actually receive a refund check (as long as the return inspection goes well). Moreover, dealerships offer protection plans that cover wear and tear on a lease as well as a warranty that extends your coverage to whatever amount of miles you wish. I have leased my last 5 vehicles (including my current Outback of which I am selling private party and coming out ahead) without EVER owing a dime at the end of term.

In my opinion, anyone who drives more than 20,000 miles per year should not buy a car, ever. Why would you finance a depreciating asset that will depreciate even more driving that amount of miles? By the time its paid for in what, 4 years you have 80,000 or more miles on it, no warranty (bumper-bumper), and isn't worth anything especially because the body style has probably changed. Whereas a lease has a preset residual value that does not adjust no matter how many miles are on it, if the body style changes or if the vehicle is out of production.

As an example, I can lease a new Chevrolet Volt at GM Employee Discount, $1000 total out of pocket, 36 months, 25K per year with a hassle free lease package (as stated above) for $425 per month. Moreover, since the Volt will literally more than double my gas mileage I will save about $200-300 per month on gas. AND, GM actually comes out to your house and installs the charging system.

Thoughts?

Even if you buy new the civic starts at $18,200 while the volt starts at $31,645.

I am not buying, it's a lease so your argument isn't valid.

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member
OP - If you do in fact drive 100 miles a day, a Volt would not be the most practical out of the cars you like. Here is some reasoning.

The volt can get up to 50 miles in one charge. If you have a way of charging the Volt at work, it would work out. Takes roughly 8-9 hours to charge using a 115 outlet. On the gas engine, the Volt will usually see 40+ MPG on the highway, and around 35-37 MPG on the street. It has a 9 Gallon tank, so you can usually go over 300+ miles on those 9 gallons.

If you want a car that is extremely well made, a good amount of options, and to be a dedicated Electric car, the Volt is the way I'd go.

Our Volt has been amazing since we've bought it. Granted, the price is high (To correct Stanley, MSRP on the Volt is actually $39.995.00) you get a hell of a lot that comes with it.

We've put around 4,000 miles on the car, and have maybe spent $90.00-$110.00 in gas. I think we have used around 15 gallons of gas at most, which is pretty good.

The civic is a good car all around, but, I can almost guarantee it is not a better built car, and does not have the same or similar options, and since it is a complete Gas engine, it will require more maintenance.

Really depends on your budget and what you are looking to spend. A loaded volt is going to be around $47,000 out the door with tax/title, etc. You do get some good options, a solid warranty on the battery and the power-train, and a great car. It's not practical if you are looking to save a ton of money and have a shitbox DD. It is a luxury car that drives and handles VERY well, and doesn't require the use of gas if you drive under 50 miles to and from or have the ability to charge the car at work.

If you need some more information, I'd be happy to provide that.

We love our Volt, and don't regret buying it. We wouldn't be happy with a Civic/Optima or a VW as we don't really care for those types of cars and have no desire to own one. We save enough money even though the Car Payment is higher than the car we traded in, and we spend an additional $40 a month on electricity to charge it every day. (You also can get up to $11,500 in rebates from both Federal and State taxes which is another bonus)

-Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your post! I was told that the charge was good for a range 300 miles? Obviously, if this is not the case, I will need to calculate the potential savings based upon the numbers you stated. I am going to be leasing whatever vehicle I end up with so the MSRP of the vehicle really doesn't matter to me.

If you could address the following scenario it would greatly help my decision process:

I leave my house and head straight to the office which is 24 miles. Upon arrival, I plug the vehicle in and jump on the phone for a few hours and then start to hit my appointments. The average appointment time is about an hour which, is most places, I would have the ability to plug the vehicle in at and I average about 5 appointments per day and a total of 100 miles of driving. So, with little spurts of charges (an hour at a time) would it allow me to further drive on the electric motor or, does it have to be fully charged?

I hope that makes sense. Thanks in advance for your help.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your post! I was told that the charge was good for a range 300 miles? Obviously, if this is not the case, I will need to calculate the potential savings based upon the numbers you stated. I am going to be leasing whatever vehicle I end up with so the MSRP of the vehicle really doesn't matter to me.

If you could address the following scenario it would greatly help my decision process:

I leave my house and head straight to the office which is 24 miles. Upon arrival, I plug the vehicle in and jump on the phone for a few hours and then start to hit my appointments. The average appointment time is about an hour which, is most places, I would have the ability to plug the vehicle in at and I average about 5 appointments per day and a total of 100 miles of driving. So, with little spurts of charges (an hour at a time) would it allow me to further drive on the electric motor or, does it have to be fully charged?

I hope that makes sense. Thanks in advance for your help.

Hey dude,

Well, 1 hour of charging is good for about 5 miles or so, provided the weather is good. On a full charge, you can easily get 45-50 miles, then the generator kicks on, and you still get over 40+ MPG. You should be able to go about 75 miles on just electricity provided you have a full charge to start the day, and charge in between. Now, if you use a 240V, you can get a full charge (56-60 Mile range) in 4-4.5 hours.

I say you will love the Volt.

We are happier with the Volt than we were with our 07 GT that was Blown with every single options.

The Volt (fully loaded) comes equipped with Heated Seats, Heated Exterior Mirrors, HID's,. Rear Back-up Camera, Bose 10 speaker sound system, 32GB HDD with Navigation, 3 years of free on-star, 3 months of XM free, Parking sensors, electronic parking brake, Compass, auto-dim, etc.

It also has quite the kick for a 149 HP car that weighs 3800+ lbs.

Let me know if you want to talk live. I'll PM you my number.

-Chris

paynecasey

Established Member
The Fusion hybrid is pretty legit. It drives/feels/looks the most like a normal car but gets outstanding MPG and has plenty of room inside. Plus the new Fusions look great.

Can't really go wrong with a Camry Hybrid either, but its similar enough to the Fusion specs-wise that you might as well go American.

I agree.

Fuerza

Established Member
I find it hard to believe there are good lease deals with 20k miles per year offers. How long are you planning on leasing it for, never mind 36 months. I know there are tons of incentives for Hybrids and Electric cars but just an average car like a Accord or Camry not so much.

What about the warranty? Standard warranty is generally 3-36. What will you do about repairs on the lease vehicle when you beyond that?

Last edited:

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member
I find it hard to believe there are good lease deals with 20k miles per year offers. How long are you planning on leasing it for, never mind 36 months. I know there are tons of incentives for Hybrids and Electric cars but just an average car like a Accord or Camry not so much.

What about the warranty? Standard warranty is generally 3-36. What will you do about repairs on the lease vehicle when you beyond that?

I am looking at 24 or 36 month leases at 25K per year. Due to most American automobile manufacturers having a 100,000 powertrain warranty I simply extend the bumper to bumper portion to ensure that I am covered for the mileage. It only cost about $800 to achieve this and over a 36 month lease that will adjust your payment $22 per month.

Users who are viewing this thread