Hybrid/Elecric Cars

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member
Let me preface by saying that I never thought that I would be a guy who drives a hybrid or electric car :shrug::xpl:. But, due to switching jobs I am now driving a ton and gas is absolutely killing me. I am thinking of selling my daily driver (2011 Subaru Outback) and leasing a Hybrid Corolla, Volt, Optima or something equivalent. Being a good size guy at 6'5" and 265lbs I need a mid-size to full-size vehicle and only need a power seat, Bluetooth and an iPod hook up as far as options are concerned.

I spent the last couple days researching this "purchase" and feel that due to lease specials it makes the most sense to go that route. Due to the current incentives, I can lower my payment by $100-150 per month and at least double my gas mileage. Moreover, my auto insurance will stay about the same as well. To me, it seems this is a win-win scenario, financially anyways.

All that said I have absolutely no experience in this area and am looking for opinions from people who do. Thanks in advance for your help!

FordGTGuy

Established Member
A little more information will help you get some better advice, how many of the miles you will be driving will be highway or city? Will you be driving by yourself or will you often have to travel with someone else or even a group of people? Do you have to haul around any kind of large equipment with you? How many average miles will you be traveling every trip? Is it short distance but frequent or long distance and few?

If you're going to be traveling with equipment or other people I'd recommend a larger hybrid like a Fusion Hybrid, Volt or Camry Hybrid

Depending on whether these are going to be mostly highway or city miles you really need to do your research on which hybrid is more efficient for each condition.

If you're going to be traveling long distance I don't recommend looking at anything purely electric, also if these trips are away from home you might not be able to charge them without the proper equipment.

*I have no experience driving or operating hybrid or electric vehicles, only sharing knowledge I've picked up about them over time.*

Last edited:

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member
A little more information will help you get some better advice, how many of the miles you will be driving will be highway or city? Will you be driving by yourself or will you often have to travel with someone else or even a group of people? Do you have to haul around any kind of large equipment with you? How many average miles will you be traveling every trip? Is it short distance but frequent or long distance and few?

If you're going to be traveling with equipment or other people I'd recommend a larger hybrid like a Fusion Hybrid, Volt or Camry Hybrid

Depending on whether these are going to be mostly highway or city miles you really need to do your research on which hybrid is more efficient for each condition.

If you're going to be traveling long distance I don't recommend looking at anything purely electric, also if these trips are away from home you might not be able to charge them without the proper equipment.

*I have no experience driving or operating hybrid or electric vehicles, only sharing knowledge I've picked up about them over time.*

Thanks for the information. I drive about 100 miles per day which is to and from the office. No other driving will be done with this vehicle outside of maybe taking it to lunch with one or two other people. Also, I will not be carrying and additional equipment.

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
i sell volts if you need any information or help deciding if the volt is for you text my phone 727-424-7478 ill help you the best i can

the volt is a car that chooses you, you dont choose it

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member
The Fusion hybrid is pretty legit. It drives/feels/looks the most like a normal car but gets outstanding MPG and has plenty of room inside. Plus the new Fusions look great.

Can't really go wrong with a Camry Hybrid either, but its similar enough to the Fusion specs-wise that you might as well go American.

needSVTsoon

Established Member
If you drive 100 miles a day 5 days a week, I would say you drive too much to lease a vehicle. Also, what kind of driving is it? Mostly city, mostly highway, half and half? There are a lot of things to consider when thinking about a hybrid.

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member
If you drive 100 miles a day 5 days a week, I would say you drive too much to lease a vehicle. Also, what kind of driving is it? Mostly city, mostly highway, half and half? There are a lot of things to consider when thinking about a hybrid.

Not too much for a lease, in fact I would prefer to get something new every two to three years and be under warranty at all times. I was in the car business for 10 years, although that was about five years I'm fairly educated on leasing and have worked the figures out.

As far as driving conditions I am about 75% highway and the difference side streets. Which is where the Hybrids (from the research I have done) shine in that they get 50 mpg city and I am lucky to get 22.

Thanks for your help!

needSVTsoon

Established Member
There aren't too many leases out there with 25k miles per year assuming you are driving a little over 2k miles a month. If you found one for a decent price, good job. You will see more of a benefit in the city when you can keep it running on only electric, but a lot of the hybrids can get up to higher speeds only electric. The new fusion hybrid can go over 60mph on only the electic motor supposedly. Good luck on the search.

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member
There aren't too many leases out there with 25k miles per year assuming you are driving a little over 2k miles a month. If you found one for a decent price, good job. You will see more of a benefit in the city when you can keep it running on only electric, but a lot of the hybrids can get up to higher speeds only electric. The new fusion hybrid can go over 60mph on only the electic motor supposedly. Good luck on the search.

Not to be a dick, but, in leasing, you choose how many miles you want to drive on an annual basis. It doesn't matter if you want 10,000 or 50,000 per year. As long as you can afford the payment you can drive the mileage of your choice.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I've never been impressed with the hybrid's fuel mileage numbers. I had a friend with a hybrid camry and he was always in the low 30's, and the car was gutless.

Manual trans civics can reach upper 30's, maybe 40. VW TDI's can get 40+. I had a friend with a little saturn 4cyl/5spd car that routinely got 44.

Anything above that and fuel mpg differences become very negligible.

2012 Boss 302

Established Member
Have you thought of a diesel Jetta? Much easier to live with IMO.

^^ DING DING DING we have a WINNAH ^^

I don't own a diesel, I feel like the new generation CDI diesels come pretty darn close to the mileage of a Hybrid in town and will probably beat a Hybrid on the highway.

It always cracks me up when I see a Prius doing 80 mph on the freeway.

Fassssst

Established Member
Hey VENOM1 , I might be a little biased , but you absolutely cannot go wrong with a Fusion hybrid . ( whether you lease OR buy ) My wife & I bought a 2010 brand new in the summer of '09 . Its fully loaded except for nav & blind spot warning . In other words , heated leather seats , sunroof , Sony 12 speaker sound , and all the other common power options . This car has honestly been one of the best cars I have ever owned ( out of about 20 total ) We have not had one single issue with this car other than the one time Ford voluntarily reprogrammed the drive computer because of all the crap going on with the Toyota hybrids . ( about 2 years ago ) It is a very comfortable and roomy car and has a pretty decent sized trunk . We now have 36,000 miles on it and the only wear item changed were the 2 rear brakes . I am rather impressed with the mileage . Summer time , we AVERAGE 45 mpg . Winter time ( gets pretty cold up here ) we still average 31 to 32 mpg . Most of our driving is in the city . We can almost get 610 to 630 miles to a tank in the summer . And about 480 to 530 in the winter . Now , obviously this aint no Cobra , but it does have pretty good power imo . ( speed limiter is also set at 110 mph ) This car will just NOT let us down . We love ours , and I think if you get a used '10 , '11 , or '12 you will love it as well . AND the 2013's are gorgeous !! I think because of your size , you should definitely go with the Fusion . I'm 6' 1" and I have no issues with the interior space . Good luck on your search !!!

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member
Hey VENOM1 , I might be a little biased , but you absolutely cannot go wrong with a Fusion hybrid . ( whether you lease OR buy ) My wife & I bought a 2010 brand new in the summer of '09 . Its fully loaded except for nav & blind spot warning . In other words , heated leather seats , sunroof , Sony 12 speaker sound , and all the other common power options . This car has honestly been one of the best cars I have ever owned ( out of about 20 total ) We have not had one single issue with this car other than the one time Ford voluntarily reprogrammed the drive computer because of all the crap going on with the Toyota hybrids . ( about 2 years ago ) It is a very comfortable and roomy car and has a pretty decent sized trunk . We now have 36,000 miles on it and the only wear item changed were the 2 rear brakes . I am rather impressed with the mileage . Summer time , we AVERAGE 45 mpg . Winter time ( gets pretty cold up here ) we still average 31 to 32 mpg . Most of our driving is in the city . We can almost get 610 to 630 miles to a tank in the summer . And about 480 to 530 in the winter . Now , obviously this aint no Cobra , but it does have pretty good power imo . ( speed limiter is also set at 110 mph ) This car will just NOT let us down . We love ours , and I think if you get a used '10 , '11 , or '12 you will love it as well . AND the 2013's are gorgeous !! I think because of your size , you should definitely go with the Fusion . I'm 6' 1" and I have no issues with the interior space . Good luck on your search !!!

Interesting, it looks like Ford will have two different types of Hybrid Fusions for '13. After calling a dealer for pricing the Fusion Hybrid Energi can be built on Ford's website but is not at the dealers therefor, cannot be priced out.

Chris0304

Established Member
Wife has a 2005 Toyota Prius and we Love it! I will prob buy one for myself whenever the time comes to get something for myself… I would def consider the diesel jetta too.

Chris0304

Established Member
Wife has a 2005 Toyota Prius and we Love it! I will prob buy one for myself whenever the time comes to get something for myself… I would def consider the diesel jetta too.

Meant to mention that the Prius has about 180k on it and haven't had any major issues either...

AAG

Established Member
Buy a left over '12 civic with the r18 engine and drive it till the wheels fall off. People have gotten 300-400k miles out of them. Hybrids suck

gilby959798

Wyatt's daddy!
Established Member
My buddy just stopped by with his new volt, got to take it out for a spin and it was pretty nice. He was only getting 35mpg right now but he wanted to save some juice for me to drive it. It was much better than his previous vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread