Hybrid Mustang Thoughts?

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
With all the scuttlebutt about an electric Mustang, I want to know what you guys think.

Obviously, an all electric is an option, but what about hybrid EcoBoost or hybrid 5.0L options?

The hybrid option can really allow for both serious power (even with the EB) and range.

The all electric may actually weigh less than the hybrid but would limit range.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Assuming Ford allows the engine ECU to be unlocked, a TT 5.0 on E85 with hybrid transmission would be a ****ing rape train.

Voltwings

Established Member
The gearhead in me wants to like it because I can see the potential. The "realist" in me just sees weight and complexity. I have mixed feelings.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Like a KERs transmission?
Its a very similar concept. While the battery and trans are heavier than a traditional auto trans only, the benefit greatly outweighs the... well.. weight.

More complex, sure. But not out of the ability of tuners to get the hang of.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Its a very similar concept. While the battery and trans are heavier than a traditional auto trans only, the benefit greatly outweighs the... well.. weight.

More complex, sure. But not out of the ability of tuners to get the hang of.
Do they run the power through the transmission or after it?

I'm actually into this idea, but I like the idea of having front assist. An extra 80 hp to the front tires with proper vectoring could get the car to not only be a mean bastard from a dig/straight line but terrorize a lot of pretty fast car on a road course.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Do they run the power through the transmission or after it?

I'm actually into this idea, but I like the idea of having front assist. An extra 80 hp to the front tires with proper vectoring could get the car to not only be a mean bastard from a dig/straight line but terrorize a lot of pretty fast car on a road course.

It should essentially work like a simple electrical motor. It will have the motor stator energized to turn the armature. Now add the power from the engine connected to the stator and it turns the assembly into an integrated engine assist. An extra hp and instant full motor torque on top of what the TT engine is making could be a VERY potent combo. With people now "boosting" Teslas, Id imagine the skill set is out there to make a Hybrid Mustang a hell of a performance vehicle.

The Lexus GS 450h pulls like a bat outta hell on the freeway when it kicks down into its lower reduction gear. And thats from a 300 hp V6 gas engine and the "equivalent" 1.0L extra displacement. At least, thats how Lexus classifies their hybrids. So the 450h would produce the power output of a 4.5L engine. That torque hit is legit.

Users who are viewing this thread