i am DONE with using 555r's @ the track!

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
Nitto's suck at the track w a irs 03. I've tried 275's and 315's. I'm telling you ppl a soft sidewall and more of it is where it's at. Ppl say I 60ft good on dr, come to find out they are 15's, that's a huge sidewall difference. Hoosier has the softest sidewall 17" dr out there if that's what you want. But et streets are better in 17".

So why not take the easy route.... Or be like me, try all kinds of stuff, spending $ on stuff that doesn't work, getting half azz runs sometimes. All we are saying. That 98 cobra would 60ft far better w et streets unless you are into some kind of contest to see what a dr can do, then use the hoosiers. Revving higher off the line always gets better 60ft w traction.

mmcarguy

Established Member
I am in the process of buying drag tires for my 96 cobra. I make 500rwhp and I have 17 x 9/10.5 cobra r's...I have it narrowed down to Mickey Thompson Bias-Ply ET Streets 26 x 11.5 x 17...or the same ET Streets but drag radial 275 x 40 x 17....I'm assuming the bias-plys would be best for my application. Please let me know what you think...

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
i dunno why you guys have problems. i cut a 1.64 60 foot on 315 nittos. by the sound of it is that some kind of record for a nitto? lol......i was doing 5-6 sec 1st gear burnouts, i also had 25 PSI in them. i think its all in how you launch the car.

I drove around the water box spun the nittos for a few seconds and rolled up to the line. My first track day I cut 1.80 60s just drove the car off the line like I would leave a green light just faster. I think you should practice a little more.
I also bought a set of 16 inch rims with almost new 26x 11.5 x 16 mt et streets to start using at the track no run times with those yet

1.7x's on 275 nittos with irs and a broken axle. I went back with 315s and my solid but track prep wasnt good and they spun.

Gee, how come if these guys can do it with IRS? Hmmm... Can't be be the driver right? :rollseyes

Wow, comparing an A4 LS1 to an 03/04 Cobra :rolleyes:

I have raced on nittos many of times. I would usually cut mid to low 1.7x with them, the best being a 1.71....Your still not getting the point. I am talking about 03/04 cobras, not A4 LS1's and not SN95 cobras.......And now why would I want to keep racing on Nittos and only be cutting 1.7x sixty foots and continuing to get wheel hop? Since I have been using ET Streets ALL of my sixty's have been in the LOW 1.6x range, a best being a 1.58. BTW these are 17'' ET Streets on a BONE STOCK IRS, dumping the clutch @ 5500 RPM.....I would like to see you do that on nittos in an 03/04 IRS cobra :bored:.

All about feathering the clutch and preloading??? Yeah, if you like going slow. It all about pulling up to the line and reving the car up to 5500 rpm and dumping the clutch :rockon:

So if you don't know how to feather a clutch then a MT DR would make it easier? Generally speaking how is a MT DR different then a Nitto DR??
You do know that a MT DR is still a drag radial with a hard side wall and a MT et street is a bias ply tire with a soft sidewall correct?

Please stop posting incorrect information

You have a lot to learn about what the car does on the initial hit and how it reacts. With ANY DR you can't shock the tire as hard as you can with a bias ply tire.

So preloading is only for slower cars? :nonono: Then tell me why auto cars can go so fast on a radial and stick cars can't? Hmm, could it be that the drivetrain is loaded before the hit? Naw, cause you think its better to sidestep it with slop cause its cool. :bored: Oh and I lol'd at 5500. Thats a cute rpm. :poke:

You have a lot to learn about getting traction off the hit. When you have somem time read up a little on this site, has a lot of good info to understand suspension, preloading, enertia, etc.

MOSTLY SUSPENSIONS

-Mark

Venimus03

Established Member
Gee, how come if these guys can do it with IRS? Hmmm... Can't be be the driver right? :rollseyes

You have a lot to learn about what the car does on the initial hit and how it reacts. With ANY DR you can't shock the tire as hard as you can with a bias ply tire.

So preloading is only for slower cars? :nonono: Then tell me why auto cars can go so fast on a radial and stick cars can't? Hmm, could it be that the drivetrain is loaded before the hit? Naw, cause you think its better to sidestep it with slop cause its cool. :bored: Oh and I lol'd at 5500. Thats a cute rpm. :poke:

You have a lot to learn about getting traction off the hit. When you have somem time read up a little on this site, has a lot of good info to understand suspension, preloading, enertia, etc.

MOSTLY SUSPENSIONS

-Mark

Do what???? Other then the guy who cut and 1.64 60's ONCE in his cobra, who is now btw going to be running a set of SLICKS for his car, the other guy you quoted cut a 1.8 60', WOW, I wish I could go to the track and get 1.8 60' all day :bored: And the other guy you quoted with a 1.7x and a broken half shaft. Sooooo what exactly can they do with the IRS, break half shafts and get bad 60' times?.....For the 1000th time we are not talking about auto cars WE ARE TALKING ABOUT 03/04 COBRAS!!!! People I know with auto cars don't preload, they use a thing called a transbrake, not sure if you've ever hear of it though.

"you think its better to sidestep it with slop cause its cool" huh? And thats why I am cutting LOW 1.6x and high 1.5x 60's......What the best 60' you have cut, ohh thats right a 1.74 wow, thats awesome, btw I have been a best of a 1.71 on nittos......Ohh but wait, I still have a lot to learn about getting traction off the hit :lol:

The whole point of what I am saying is that a slick or et street is much better to run on an 03/04 Cobra then a nitto drag radial and thats it.

But, since I have a lot to learn I will continue to monitor your post's since you know what your talking about :beer:

:bored:

ET Streets > Nittos FOR AN 03/04 IRS COBRA

/thread

LSWHAT??

I've seen 1.6x passes on Nitto's, and I've seen others run 2.XX passes on ET Streets! The point is, it doesn't matter if you can't drive :coolman:

That being said, I've ran through 2 sets of Nitto's and for the street they are great (tons of mileage!) but they are only par/sub par for a drag radial at the track. I have had the best 60's with them at around 15-17 lbs, 3 second heat.

The wise investment would be the BFG's if you intent on staying drag radial and want better performance in a drag radial; you will at least get SOME mileage out of them.

And no, I don't have an 03/04, just a little insight :beer:

cinderbricks

Established Member
hhahahah everyone blaming the tires or the track....yea ur gonna break loose more at the track cause ur trying to launch harder.. how come some people love nittos and others hate? its not the tire its the set up combonation. air pressure, suspension. RPM launch. technique. tires, burnout, DRIVER. manual/auto geez i oculd go on. change one of these and something will not perform the same. but hey im sure its the track and the tires.

Venimus03

Established Member
I would consider myself a pretty good driver and have been down the 1320 many of times in many different cars with different set ups. The whole point of this thread was to state that the OP was done with using nittos at the track in his 03/04 Cobra. Hence everything that I have stated about drag radials and et streets have been based on the 03/04 Cobra. Yet, 98 N/A 4V, Theantirice46, and cinderbricks are chiming in who do not have an 03/04 cobra, talking about how nittos are a good DR. Heck, they are fine for a street tire, I actually have them on my car, but would I go to the track and race with them in my 04 cobra, no. I have made many passes down the track in 03/04 cobras and I feel that an ET Street is the best tire for them. Yes, of course they might work for some cars, I never said they wouldn't. I was only talking about for the 03/04 Cobras with a 6spd and an IRS.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Do what???? Other then the guy who cut and 1.64 60's ONCE in his cobra, who is now btw going to be running a set of SLICKS for his car, the other guy you quoted cut a 1.8 60', WOW, I wish I could go to the track and get 1.8 60' all day :bored: And the other guy you quoted with a 1.7x and a broken half shaft. Sooooo what exactly can they do with the IRS, break half shafts and get bad 60' times?.....For the 1000th time we are not talking about auto cars WE ARE TALKING ABOUT 03/04 COBRAS!!!! People I know with auto cars don't preload, they use a thing called a transbrake, not sure if you've ever hear of it though.

"you think its better to sidestep it with slop cause its cool" huh? And thats why I am cutting LOW 1.6x and high 1.5x 60's......What the best 60' you have cut, ohh thats right a 1.74 wow, thats awesome, btw I have been a best of a 1.71 on nittos......Ohh but wait, I still have a lot to learn about getting traction off the hit :lol:

The whole point of what I am saying is that a slick or et street is much better to run on an 03/04 Cobra then a nitto drag radial and thats it.

But, since I have a lot to learn I will continue to monitor your post's since you know what your talking about :beer:

:bored:

ET Streets > Nittos FOR AN 03/04 IRS COBRA

/thread

lol. I give up trying to explain here. You want to get into a technical discussion feel free to PM me.

oh btw, that measly 1.74 was also with 298rwhp. How much more power do you make than me? I never said my best 60ft ever was on nittos either. But have fun with your LOW 1.6's with your 450+rwhp. lol.

Unsubscribing.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
lol. I give up trying to explain here. You want to get into a technical discussion feel free to PM me.

oh btw, that measly 1.74 was also with 298rwhp. How much more power do you make than me? I never said my best 60ft ever was on nittos either. But have fun with your LOW 1.6's with your 450+rwhp. lol.

Unsubscribing.

No Mark, keep it in the open. I want to watch. lol

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
A lot of it has to do with track prep as well..You can't say, well this car cut such and such short times, but...it was at a different track, with a different platform in an A4 car in different conditions. :dw:

Venimus03

Established Member
I wonder how many times I am going to have to say I was talking about an 03/04 Cobra, 6spd, IRS....:sleeping: I am done with this thread.....You all have fun on your Nitto DR's @ the track.......:bored:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I wonder how many times I am going to have to say I was talking about an 03/04 Cobra, 6spd, IRS....:sleeping: I am done with this thread.....You all have fun on your Nitto DR's @ the track.......:bored:

What don't you understand?
The OP has an 03 and IRS. What Mark and others were getting at is to learn your car. No matter what tires.

It is known that Nittos are not the best DR. However even with 03-04 and IRS there have been better 60's on them than the OP cut.
If those are the tires he chose to run then he needs to learn to launch them the best he can.

Or do what you did and move to a better tire but even though you get better 60's you still didn't learn your car with the set up it had.

Basiclly tires can make up for a crappy driver.
Learn you car on crap tires and I'll bet with slight modification to your technique your launch would be even better on good tires.

His 1st post you jumped on.
If you can't get consistant mid 1.8's on nittos then to me its the driver. Its all about the feathering of the clutch and preloading.

So my logic makes sense. If you don't know how to feather the clutch at the right rpm then the easier MT DR or ET street would make it easier. Even some A4 LS1's have gone 1.6's and a few 1.5's with a nitto. Granted they don't hit the tires as hard but with proper suspension I'm sure a stick car could get a high 1.6. I went a 1.74 with full weight on a 17" DR. They hook for what they are.

-Mark

Your response,

Wow, comparing an A4 LS1 to an 03/04 Cobra :rolleyes:

I have raced on nittos many of times. I would usually cut mid to low 1.7x with them, the best being a 1.71....Your still not getting the point. I am talking about 03/04 cobras, not A4 LS1's and not SN95 cobras.......And now why would I want to keep racing on Nittos and only be cutting 1.7x sixty foots and continuing to get wheel hop? Since I have been using ET Streets ALL of my sixty's have been in the LOW 1.6x range, a best being a 1.58. BTW these are 17'' ET Streets on a BONE STOCK IRS, dumping the clutch @ 5500 RPM.....I would like to see you do that on nittos in an 03/04 IRS cobra :bored:.

All about feathering the clutch and preloading??? Yeah, if you like going slow. It all about pulling up to the line and reving the car up to 5500 rpm and dumping the clutch :rockon:

So if you don't know how to feather a clutch then a MT DR would make it easier? Generally speaking how is a MT DR different then a Nitto DR??
You do know that a MT DR is still a drag radial with a hard side wall and a MT et street is a bias ply tire with a soft sidewall correct?

Please stop posting incorrect information

First off, he was not Comparing the two cars, he simply gave an example of what the Nittos are capable of.
He is also correct in the If you can't get consistant mid 1.8's on nittos then to me its the driver.

Yes a MT DR will make it easier, everyone knows the compound is softer as are the sidewalls. Even though the MT DR is considered a stiff wall street tire it is still softer than the Nittos. How much softer? Well a lot of guys open tracked with Nitto DRs before the RII came out. Try that shit with the MT.

None of his posting was incorrect information and he gives sound advice and is always willing to help.

People I know with auto cars don't preload, they use a thing called a transbrake, not sure if you've ever hear of it though.

I'll bet everyone with a transbrake is on slicks, that is a difference.
I've run transbrake in many and sometmes felt like running footbrake class. If that happens you preload.
Preloading is a good way to not shock the drivetrain/tires as hard on the hit.
However with good enough tires it isn't necessary. That is his point. If you don't have the set up to handle 5000+ launchs with slop then you need to learn to drive the car. And even if you do have the set up to handle it preloading can make a good run better in some cases.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
yeah bro same shit happened to me i was hitting a 12.20 with the same mods i have now with the nittos burning the crap out of em ..the best 60 ft was a 1.76 thats when i ran a 12.2 .. with some et streets only ran a 11.61 there's a video of it on the time slip bar check it out just shoots out of the hole 1.59 60ft's !!!

? your 60ft is .17 better, but it took off almost .6 on the top end?

OP, are you backing into the water, getting the tire completely wet, pulling out of the water, doing a significant burnout out (until tires are clouding with smoke), and then rolling out of it?

When you leave the lights, are you dropping the clutch or rolling out with a little finess?

I am not saying that I am great driver, but I have cut 1.9's on the F1's.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Thanks Barry. I'm glad someone understands what I'm talking about. But Careful he might question you. ;-) But what do you know... you and your slow 9.20's at over 140mph lol.

Off topic- Do you have to re-certify your 9 sec license annually or do they let it go every 2 years or so?

-Mark

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Thanks Barry. I'm glad someone understands what I'm talking about. But Careful he might question you. ;-) But what do you know... you and your slow 9.20's at over 140mph lol.

Off topic- Do you have to re-certify your 9 sec license annually or do they let it go every 2 years or so?

-Mark

Every 2 years
I'm licensed down to 7.50s

Need to go down to 6s in case I step back into the outlaw street again.
There has been talk about driving for the guy who bought my cousins old car.

20psirabbit

Established Member
? your 60ft is .17 better, but it took off almost .6 on the top end?

OP, are you backing into the water, getting the tire completely wet, pulling out of the water, doing a significant burnout out (until tires are clouding with smoke), and then rolling out of it?

When you leave the lights, are you dropping the clutch or rolling out with a little finess?

I am not saying that I am great driver, but I have cut 1.9's on the F1's.

there was never any smoke. and don't let thedarkness03 try to tell you any different :poke:

yellowgt02

Established Member
I had a set of Nitto's last year. Stock IRS with a Diff Brace

Put 10k miles on them
Drove to and from the track(little over an hour each way), 40-50 passes all year on them.
Cut consistent low 1.8 60ft times
Best 60ft was a 1.79
Tonnes of Street Abuse

They hooked up decently on the street when aired down to about 25-26 psi. At the track, 18psi. I didnt break anything with them, and usually launched around 4k slipping it out of the hole.

I say if you want a tire that is going to last you a season, launch decently go with Nitto's. If not go with a Bias Ply tire for the track, and street tire for the street.

Users who are viewing this thread