i am DONE with using 555r's @ the track!

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
i was doing them in 2nd. i'll rev it up, dump the clutch, then grab the brake and hold it for a few, then release the brake and roll out of the box :??:

You're not doing the burnout IN the water are you?

+1 all about the launch and the very important driver mod!!!

and i honestly dont know why you guys even go threw the water with drag radials. i just back up a couple feet before the water and let it go for a quick burn out. doing that alone gives me enough rubber to clean for months under my car.

+1
So, let me get htis straight. You do a burnout a couple of feet before the water, then when you're done the burnout you pull through the water before you make a pass? lol

You would be better off just going AROUND the water and doing your burnout AFTER the water instead of driving through a puddle right before you make a pass.

He is going around and backing up to a few feet from it.

twhitey

Established Member
I drove around the water box spun the nittos for a few seconds and rolled up to the line. My first track day I cut 1.80 60s just drove the car off the line like I would leave a green light just faster. I think you should practice a little more.
I also bought a set of 16 inch rims with almost new 26x 11.5 x 16 mt et streets to start using at the track no run times with those yet

evil04svtcobra

Established Member
So, let me get htis straight. You do a burnout a couple of feet before the water, then when you're done the burnout you pull through the water before you make a pass? lol

You would be better off just going AROUND the water and doing your burnout AFTER the water instead of driving through a puddle right before you make a pass.

lol!!!!:D

no no no... sorry! i drive around the water box then back up a few feet before the water ends, then do a quick burn out.

20psirabbit

Established Member
i was doing them in 2nd. i'll rev it up, dump the clutch, then grab the brake and hold it for a few, then release the brake and roll out of the box :??:

i told you to stop powerbraking it, your hydroboost is gonna check out. you're in the friggin' water for crying out loud, you don't need to powerbrake. if the tires are not smoking they are not hot.
/rant

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
1.7x's on 275 nittos with irs and a broken axle. I went back with 315s and my solid but track prep wasnt good and they spun.

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
have my stock set of wheels sitting in my garage, so i can put some tires on those and swap them out at the track, what size slick would you recommend for the stock cobra wheels?

The m/t non radial et street 26/11.5/17. 2 weeks ago A guy I know w a t/a, w lts, exhaust, transmission and 3.8k converter warmed them up on so/so concrete then launched it. Almost pulled the front tires and no spin at all. Out launched a sti by a long ways. I was mighty impressed.

That is the finest 17" tire for a f body or cobra 17" wheel on the track. The drag radial both m/t and hoosier are fairly good but not as good as et street. It also is like 26.5" dia so a lil more sidewall w/o setting off the abs light.

TheDarkness03

MOAR DOTS!!!
Established Member
i told you to stop powerbraking it, your hydroboost is gonna check out. you're in the friggin' water for crying out loud, you don't need to powerbrake. if the tires are not smoking they are not hot.
/rant

i can't sit still long enough to get them hot if i don't touch the brakes...yes they spin because of the water, but the car won't sit still, it'll start moving forward or kicking out to the side :nono:

have my stock set of wheels sitting in my garage, so i can put some tires on those and swap them out at the track, what size slick would you recommend for the stock cobra wheels?

The m/t non radial et street 26/11.5/17. 2 weeks ago A guy I know w a t/a, w lts, exhaust, transmission and 3.8k converter warmed them up on so/so concrete then launched it. Almost pulled the front tires and no spin at all. Out launched a sti by a long ways. I was mighty impressed.

That is the finest 17" tire for a f body or cobra 17" wheel on the track. The drag radial both m/t and hoosier are fairly good but not as good as et street. It also is like 26.5" dia so a lil more sidewall w/o setting off the abs light.

will that 11.5 fit on the 9" wide stock rims???

Last edited:

Venimus03

Established Member
I will never go back to the track on DR's. They stink.....at least for 03/04 IRS cobras they do!

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
will that 11.5 fit on the 9" wide stock rims???

Yes, the tire tread itself is 9.5".
Mickey Thompson Performance Tires & Wheels

Btw yes on just my street testing my back pads wore out first for some reason, maybe the tire warm ups. lol A line lock is a pretty good thing but car backend can still slide sideways, nature of the beast. this is how you warm the tires btw....
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im9F_1ZO0Fg"]YouTube - Cobra Burnout at contest[/nomedia]

Last edited:

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Like stated above it depends on the driver to make the best out of a DR. The way I see it....

Nittos = for a great driver
M/T DR, ET Streets = average driver

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
Some 275/50/15 MT Radials are just what the doc ordered for your car. I went a 1.61 60' on a BONE STOCK suspension on them. THey are a very good tire, and you do NOT need to get them stupid hot. Just enough to get some smoke off of them then pull up to the line. Alot of people get too much heat in a DR and it can actually be counterproductive. Hope this helps ya, good luck getting theos 60's down!

Venimus03

Established Member
Nittos = for a great driver
M/T DR, ET Streets = average driver

:lol::dw:, And how does that make sense?

First off, MT DR's and MT ET Streets are two completely different tires. One is a harder compound and the other would be a bias ply et street, soft sidewall....

More like.....

Nittos = Good for not getting any traction and getting wheel hop at the track
ET Streets = Great tire for launching hard and not getting any wheel hop

And like I said, for 03/04 cobras that is.....

Last edited:

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
^ I agree completely and one other thing I truely think the small additional sidewall helps to not bust a halfshaft if you want to run stock 17" wheels.

Then there is 16" available w diamond racing wheels, Joe lynch ran those 16" wheels w et streets or hoosier qtp which would give you another inch of sidewall. Those wheels though not esp cool looking are pretty light, they are used for circle track cars and clear the brake/irs bs w/o grinding. Diamond racing avengers joe lynch specials 16x10.

Idk the exact diameter of our brake/tie rod interference but diamond does make a 13.3" dropwell in 15" (pro series), that would be sweet if it fit w/o bs for occasional track use. Idk if anyone has tried them.

kb02gt

UNTAMED SLOBRA
Established Member
yeah bro same shit happened to me i was hitting a 12.20 with the same mods i have now with the nittos burning the crap out of em ..the best 60 ft was a 1.76 thats when i ran a 12.2 .. with some et streets only ran a 11.61 there's a video of it on the time slip bar check it out just shoots out of the hole 1.59 60ft's !!!

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
:lol::dw:, And how does that make sense?

First off, MT DR's and MT ET Streets are two completely different tires. One is a harder compound and the other would be a bias ply et street, soft sidewall....

More like.....

Nittos = Good for not getting any traction and getting wheel hop at the track
ET Streets = Great tire for launching hard and not getting any wheel hop

And like I said, for 03/04 cobras that is.....

If you can't get consistant mid 1.8's on nittos then to me its the driver. Its all about the feathering of the clutch and preloading.

So my logic makes sense. If you don't know how to feather the clutch at the right rpm then the easier MT DR or ET street would make it easier. Even some A4 LS1's have gone 1.6's and a few 1.5's with a nitto. Granted they don't hit the tires as hard but with proper suspension I'm sure a stick car could get a high 1.6. I went a 1.74 with full weight on a 17" DR. They hook for what they are.

-Mark

Venimus03

Established Member
If you can't get consistant mid 1.8's on nittos then to me its the driver. Its all about the feathering of the clutch and preloading.

So my logic makes sense. If you don't know how to feather the clutch at the right rpm then the easier MT DR or ET street would make it easier. Even some A4 LS1's have gone 1.6's and a few 1.5's with a nitto. Granted they don't hit the tires as hard but with proper suspension I'm sure a stick car could get a high 1.6. I went a 1.74 with full weight on a 17" DR. They hook for what they are.

-Mark
Wow, comparing an A4 LS1 to an 03/04 Cobra :rolleyes:

I have raced on nittos many of times. I would usually cut mid to low 1.7x with them, the best being a 1.71....Your still not getting the point. I am talking about 03/04 cobras, not A4 LS1's and not SN95 cobras.......And now why would I want to keep racing on Nittos and only be cutting 1.7x sixty foots and continuing to get wheel hop? Since I have been using ET Streets ALL of my sixty's have been in the LOW 1.6x range, a best being a 1.58. BTW these are 17'' ET Streets on a BONE STOCK IRS, dumping the clutch @ 5500 RPM.....I would like to see you do that on nittos in an 03/04 IRS cobra :bored:.

All about feathering the clutch and preloading??? Yeah, if you like going slow. It all about pulling up to the line and reving the car up to 5500 rpm and dumping the clutch :rockon:

So if you don't know how to feather a clutch then a MT DR would make it easier? Generally speaking how is a MT DR different then a Nitto DR??
You do know that a MT DR is still a drag radial with a hard side wall and a MT et street is a bias ply tire with a soft sidewall correct?

Please stop posting incorrect information

Users who are viewing this thread