I am dying inside. T-56 2003 Cobra

RocketRide03

Established Member
2003 Cobra T-56 Rear Extension Housing Crack - I am dying on the inside

Took my transmission out. I had to replace TOB, and slipping clutch. While out I took front cover off to do the TOB retainer sleeve. I was putting the front cover back on while I had transmission on a dolly. While I was tightening bolts the transmission slid off and smacked the floor. I didn't think of it much. After tightening the bolts on the front cover I had to get ready for work. I come out of the house into the garage, and I look at my transmission. I had a small puddle of transmission fluid on the floor. I thought it came out of the top, where shifter goes, as I had used elastic bands and Saran Wrap to cover it. I turned the transmission over and I saw that I cracked the case. Is there a chance that I can get this welded and it fixes the issue, or is this where I have to find a back cover part of the case?

It kills me. I was so close to have this done.

IMG_4911[1].jpg

Last edited:

mfrazier2

Engineers lead the way!
Established Member
As long as there are no gaskets or o rings super near by you should be able to weld it. I would find someone close by like a machine shop or welding shop that you trust. Since its aluminum you definitely want to get it Tig welded. Its a very clean and precise weld. I haven't personally welded on a transmission before but it can be done. Good luck!

MattG04

Established Member
just get a new tail shaft housing and refrain from dropping it on the floor!

RocketRide03

Established Member
Thanks guys for the advice.

Is there anyone who might know the internals of what might be behind that spot?

I did a search last night for t-56 rear case/transmission extension housing and all I could find was a place called Hawks and Tick Performance and they only had Camaro/CTS/Corvette versions. If anyone knows how I might contact for a Cobra version please tell me.

I am going to call Hanlon Motorsports as they rebuilt a t-5 I had a long time ago and Bob was a pleasure to deal with and ask him what he thinks.

I had someone tell me about a local place to me that does TIG welding and that they do quality work and they have quick turn around.

The funny thing, but no so funny thing is that when I was taking the transmission I was by myself and ended up dropping the transmission on my collarbone near shoulder. So I couldn't work on the car for awhile. Nothing broken, but it certainly is not completely healed after nearly 2 months.

SlowSVT

Established Member
If you TIG weld it make sure you grind a V-groove along the crack. You need to remove the crack completely after grinding so expect to grind a little beyond where the crack ends to be sure. Make use it's welded on both sides then grind smooth. Welded aluminum stress relieves at 350 degrees on the oven for 1 hour.

RocketRide03

Established Member
Thank you everyone for the advice. I am not doing the welding myself. I found a place locally that can do the TIG welding. They said it could absolutely be done. That was a relief, and then coming home to read what you all have posted makes me feel better.

ShowSVT, what does "Welded aluminum stress relieves" mean? I am sure the professionals know all about that. Not me. :)

mfrazier2

Engineers lead the way!
Established Member
Thank you everyone for the advice. I am not doing the welding myself. I found a place locally that can do the TIG welding. They said it could absolutely be done. That was a relief, and then coming home to read what you all have posted makes me feel better.

ShowSVT, what does "Welded aluminum stress relieves" mean? I am sure the professionals know all about that. Not me. :)

Awesome man, im glad its going to work out for you! Make sure you follow up on the thread with pictures and tell us how it came out. Im interested to see it myself.

SlowSVT

Established Member

When you weld a stiff structure you introduce thermally induced stress. Not a real big deal here, the cover is relatively small and will saturate with heat pretty well. Some very large and stiff weldments require stress relieving or they will crack over time. It's easy to do and won't harm anything. I did extensive welding on my diff and popped it in the oven for good measure. I use to be a foreman at a heat treating company years ago so I have some background on this topic. If I remember correctly steel is stress relieved at 1100 degrees.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I hope the crack was removed by grinding in a V groove before welding. If not the crack was just welded over and could find it's way to the surface again.

Pressure testing the weld for leaks is highly advisable. Plug-up the holes with rubber stoppers and screw the flange to a piece of wood sealed with rubber cement and a shrader valve screwed into the wood where a bicycle pump and pressurize it to a few PSI then spray the outside of the case with soapy water to see if any bubbles form from the freshly welded seam.

58oilpan84_zps97e75146.jpg

If there are pin holes in the weld it will leak oil and the only way to stop it is rewelding the housing

Users who are viewing this thread