I broke or stripped the bolt that connects the tri-ax to tranny.

kaos

Established Member
I removed the shifter to put in some tranny fluid and when I reinstalled the shifter I must have put too much torque or something, because now it just spins in place. Do you think it's just stripped or is it broke? Also should I call steeda for a new bolt or can I buy one at the store?

Thanks.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Should be able to buy one at any store, most likely it is stripped, take the others out and just lift up, should have all of them come out, might have to re-thread the hole. Good luck, decided what you are going to do with your front bumper cover??

kaos

Established Member
Yeah, it's going into the shop on Monday. They are going to fix it and re-paint it. Headlights are expensive they are 300 for one. So I won't have the stock foglights for sale. Since I'm a little broke I went the cheap way out.

I was planning on drag racing tomorrow. Should I not because of the bolt or am I okay. Is re-threading something I can do myself?

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
It should be ok if it is just one, but I would start it and see if it leaky anything out, just to make sure, I don't think it will, but I'm not there. If it is good enough not to leak I wouldn't worry about racing tommorow, if you have a tap-and die set you could rethread it yourself, maybe its broken:shrug:

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
:??: George when did this happen?

If its only 3 bolts holding down the Shifter Plate....i think u should be fine. No FLUIDS should come out & arent you putting a little RVT / Silicone on the base before bolting it down???

kaos

Established Member
That happened this morning. I was going to ask you guys about it but I forgot.

And thanks for reminding me about one question. So do I have to put some silicone stuff back in there and what kind? Oh wait, you read my mind. :beer:

Do I just ask for RVT Silicone at Pep Boys?

....I just went to look at it and no fluid leaking. I'm good until tomorrow.....

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
If the trans casting is stripped it is very easy to install a Helicoil in the hole. Any decent repair shop should have the ability to install one. Or you can buy the install kit and do it yourself. The entire kit costs about 35 dollars. Eack kit covers just one thread size. I have about 10 different kits to repair pro video equipment. Use them all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread