I got a reasonable and prudent speeding ticket?

Hunt93FiveO

Waiting
Established Member
I got a ticket today in Alabama and it says reasonable and prudent speed,what does that mean? He didn't explain himself, help me out plz

txyaloo

Established Member
From http://www.legislature.state.al.us/CodeofAlabama/1975/32-5A-170.htm:

Reasonable and prudent speed.
No person shall drive a vehicle at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions and having regard to the actual and potential hazards then existing. Consistent with the foregoing, every person shall drive at a safe and appropriate speed when approaching and crossing an intersection or railroad grade crossing, when approaching and going around a curve, when approaching a hill crest, when traveling upon any narrow or winding roadway, and when special hazards exist with respect to pedestrians or other traffic or by reason of weather or highway conditions.

(Acts 1980, No. 80-434, p. 604, §8-101.)

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
Just to translate and clarify, does this mean, basically, that he was within the "speed limit" of the road, but he didn't slow down enough when coming up on a hill, or into a turn, or to an intersection, or when it was raining, or snowing, etc? I didn't realize that this was ticketable, as long as you were within the speed limit.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
pj_rage said:
Just to translate and clarify, does this mean, basically, that he was within the "speed limit" of the road, but he didn't slow down enough when coming up on a hill, or into a turn, or to an intersection, or when it was raining, or snowing, etc? I didn't realize that this was ticketable, as long as you were within the speed limit.
Bascially yes. I think the other verbiage used sometimes is 'too fast for conditions'

kschaper

Band
Established Member
I was thinking about this the other day. Do they ticket if they think you are going to fast or if you lose control in some way? The reason I ask is some cars are more capable in different conditions. Say it is snowing and I have my truck in 4wd, I could go fast than someone with a rwd car.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
kschaper said:
I was thinking about this the other day. Do they ticket if they think you are going to fast or if you lose control in some way? The reason I ask is some cars are more capable in different conditions. Say it is snowing and I have my truck in 4wd, I could go fast than someone with a rwd car.

The safety issue is not that you can go faster, it is that your truck will have same stopping dynamics of all other cars in the snow. Then your excessive speed will create a stopping hazard.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
What about if you have snow tires.

I've got a good set of snow tires and can drive more confidently than other drivers on the road. This means I can go faster, stop faster and corner better, usually by a wide margin, than someone with an all-season tire.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
NyteByte said:

I've got a good set of snow tires and can drive more confidently than other drivers on the road. This means I can go faster, stop faster and corner better, usually by a wide margin, than someone with an all-season tire.

Yeah and I'm Mario Andretti. What's your point?

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
That's weird to think about. 44mph in a 45 is legal in good weather. But 44mph in a 45 in bad weather may not be? Good to know.

Hunt93FiveO

Waiting
Established Member
Would the drainage dip for the water have anything to do with it maybe? I was going maybe 30-35 as then I slowed down to around 20 or so to make a 90*left turn,and then he commented about me taking it a angle.I can't remember all of what he said tho because I was mad about getting another ticket this month and that it was the same officer that came to my house when it gotta broke into and all he did was get me a card and told me to call him after I fill out stuff that was missing, he didn't even go inside to look around.

BM1

Established Member
NyteByte said:

It doesn't matter what kind of tires you have. If you're perceived as traveling at an unsafe speed with respect to weather conditions or other road hazards, you can be legally cited.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Black Mach 1 said:
It doesn't matter what kind of tires you have. If you're perceived as traveling at an unsafe speed with respect to weather conditions or other road hazards, you can be legally cited.

That's kind of what I thought. It's all based on perception.

Users who are viewing this thread