i got the slowest 03 cobra in florida

allens-03

Established Member
10 th anniversery bbk x-pipe,2 1/2 flowmater cat back and a 95mm mas air with the k&n filter=heat shield.the car has 447 miles on it an i took it to the track tonight and ran i 8.95 @90mph with a best of 2.31 sixtey foot.i bet no one can beat that slow of a time in the 1/8 mile

UltimateSVT

Steer with the Rear
Established Member
Maybe you shift kinda slow. I don't know what to tell you other than that. From the MPH, it looks like you have 400-410 at the rear wheels. Do you have a convertible or coupe?

allens-03

Established Member
coupe,and i thought i was shifting pretty fast.i didnt let off the gas to shift but used the clutch.i can shift ok maybe not as fast as some but faster than most,not trying to sound modest or anything

SinisterX

Makin ALL KINDS of gains
Established Member
I ran my 03 stock w/ 800 miles on and I pulled a 2.51 60'.

Practice, practice, practice, oh and let your car break in more!

UltimateSVT

Steer with the Rear
Established Member
The 60ft time is the key to a good ET or a bad one. I ran my 12.3 on a 2.256 60ft. on street tires, launching at idle. If I get some drag radials I could launch it like a man and get some 1.6s or 1.7s. That should get me some high to mid 11s, hopefully.

jguerrero

Established Member
With only 447 miles on the car, it is probally not broken in yet. I dont know how valid this is,but I heard it on the board somewhere.There are rumors that Ford has a computer controlled break in period on the new cobra runs, where it restricts the power for a number of key starts.:shrug:

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Yep that was me talking about the 25 key starts at a lower tune and boost configuration of some sort. I remember them saying for 5lbs boost. And that system is reset every time you disconnect the battery.

Then you must take into account the car then has to learn the new mods for the new putor settings

Its a fact

03cobratech

Established Member
Uhhh 90mph in the 1/8th is slow??? For a non broken in almost stock 03... What exactly were you expecting?? 8.95 isnt anything to brag about but with 90mph you just need to practice your launch some... Give the cobra a break its doing its job.. :D you just need to do yours..

Dave

2thman

giggle gas expert
Established Member
Dont worry about it. I pulled like 2.4 60's my first 3 times at the track, and I was about to give it up I was so pissed. Kept going and now im usually under 2.0 or right at it.

jason

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by jguerrero
With only 447 miles on the car, it is probally not broken in yet. I dont know how valid this is,but I heard it on the board somewhere.There are rumors that Ford has a computer controlled break in period on the new cobra runs, where it restricts the power for a number of key starts.:shrug:
Ford uses a calibration to kill the boost upon delivery but after driving 5 continuous miles the computer returns to it's normal calibration.

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
Ok, so what is it? 5 continuous miles or 25 key starts? Both? If we mod with the battery disconnected, how much time/miles/keystarts,etc. to get the thing to run right again?

Thanks...

Bad03Cobra

Gotta love Boost........
Established Member
I dont't know guys I took my car to the track with temp tags and 200 miles on it and ran a 12.1 at 119 with 2.75 upper and exhaust....I never saw any difference since I bought it..I thought it was the first 50 miles then it was all good....

mmars

Meet me in the twisties!
Established Member
R/T - .149
60' - 1.908
330 - 5.299
1/8 - 8.073
MPH - 88.72

Mods: Densecharger

--Matt

Silver 03 Cobra

I know a lot of dudes on LS1.com from my 99 and 01 Cobra days at the local tracks. When I got my 03 in I put quite a few mods on the first two weeks I had it so it was ready when I hit the track. I announced the big day on LS1.com to some of my buddies and I knew they would be there at Wilkesboro. Wilkesboro is a poor track for getting good times on anything. Wilkesboro is also a Mustang track and outnumber F-Bodies probably 7 out of 10. When I got there you would have thought it was F-Body Day. There were several I have never seen before. This was around the last week of June of last year. I was one of the very first to get an 03 in the country let alone NC. The F-Body dudes wanted to see if the rumors about the 03 were true. I'm pretty sure I was making 410 rwhp at the time. I was also running on F1's. I know two SS owners real well and if it had been anybody else I would have thought I was set up and probably would have been pissed. I didn't know it at the time but Eddie had several mods to his car installed. But, these are real good dudes. I know they only wanted to see how well Eddie's new mods on his SS would run against an 03 and not trying to personally show me up. I met Eddie and Rob at the track. I told them I was going to run. I got in line and the next thing I know Eddie pulls up beside me and he tells me Rob wants him to run against me. As long as I had run at Wilkesboro I had never seen Eddie make a pass. I asked him what his best pass was and he said he was trapping 83 mph. I had trapped 84 mph in my 01 vert on F1's with 300 rwhp. I thought to myself, man, I'm going to lay one on Eddie. We launch and all I see is the ass end of that SS going down the track and leaving me like I wa standing still. I ran a 9.3-4. It was pathetic. It turned out that Eddie had just got his car back from Moore Performance out of Charlotte, NC and he had STG. 3 heads, LS6 cams, LS6 intake, three inch exhaust, headers and a 3500 rpm stall converter plus programming and a few other things installed. He ran 8.3 at 90 mph on DR's. I know they knew my car was worthy of a test and they weren't trying to embarrasw me. But man did it deflate the crap out of me especially with so many F-Body dudes watching. When I pulled to where Rob and Eddie were parked, a lot of F-body dudes came up and were laughing and saying they knew the 03 was over rated. I told them it was me and not the car. They were convinced the 03 Cobra was a fable. I made 8-9 passes before I even got in the high 8's. I was a little sick but I knew it was me. I even had a little smart ass SS owner at the track pull along side me in town on the way home and lit up his tires right beside me. It really pissed me off. He really thought he had me. I don't street race so I let him go. They aren't laughing anymore. My best at that track is [email protected] mph. My best 1/8 is 7.31 on another track.

You need tires and practise. Drag racing is a lot harder than you think. I didn't think I would ever run 11's. Now if I run a 11.60 I feel like I suck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread