I hate previous owners

330mach1

Established Member
So my fiancee and i bought a lightning as her new toy/dd. Found the previous owner and talked to him got all the maintence records for the truck it was very well cared for, but with a dual pass heat exchanger with secondary fans i expected it to pull alot more then it did. So i hooked up my sniper to the truck and noticed the iat's were pretty far up there. So i look in the intercooler res and discover it's not circulating like it's supposed to. Rather then jumper it i hooker up my power probe and go under the truck to apply power directly to the pump and find the pump intact but unplugged. Started searching for the connector and after ten minutes found it stuffed up by the headlight, plugged it in and also found two hoses not hooked up, previous owner had a cai and when traded in the shop guys didn't put the stock intake back on correctly(ford dealer). so i contacted the previous owner and not only was he suprised about it he called his "mechanic" that did it on the side and his only comment was OH. I expect more from a ford dealer.

kezell

MW3-kezell17
Established Member
I will agree with you that sometime the previous owner lack in the mechanic department. However that is one of the down sides to purchasing used. Hell, my car had 4 previous owners. I now know every inch of this car, but luckly for me the car was well taken care of.

330mach1

Established Member
the truck was serviced every 2500 miles and paint and interior are a 10 out of 10. But i run a shop so it's going onto the rack in the morning for a complete inspection from front to back

WhiteBolt

Engine Master
Established Member
If you buy new, you don't have to worry about previous owners.
One big reason why used cars sell for so much less $$$ than new ones.

fast ford brian

Established Member
My diesel used to go to ford for service , when the warranty was up and I started working on it myself I found missing bolts , loose nuts , unplugged sensors , you name it. Te only mechanic I trusts any more is me . Good luck with the lightning and be glad you can wrench .

oilwell1415

Established Member
the truck was serviced every 2500 miles and paint and interior are a 10 out of 10. But i run a shop so it's going onto the rack in the morning for a complete inspection from front to back

The smart thing to do would have been to inspect it before you bought it. At best you save yourself from buying a complete turd. At worst you find a few little things you can bargain with. A good inspection will turn up problems on most new cars.

330mach1

Established Member
actually i did look it over, we test drove it when it was cold so i didn't check the i/c tank to make sure it was working, i knew about the sway bar mount but didn't think much about it, didn't see the v/c gasket leaking til it was on the lift, was guessing the exhaust leak was a bad gasket in front of the cat like most mustangs had and everything else i missed, but still happy with our purchase and dealer is probably going to take care of cost of parts come to find out the same owner who has my shop owns another one that does AALOT of work for the same dealer and is personal friends with the dealership owner.

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
Any time I buy anything that has been modded I expect everything on it to be installed incorrectly.

Yep, mine was much the same way, very nice truck but anything aftermarket was was flat out wrong.

Spent some time sorting it out and now it runs .6 seconds quicker down the 1/4 mile.

NoRdO

Established Member
Ford Dealers SUCK!!! no offense anyone. I bought my cobra in 2007 from shehee Ford in Springfield, VA. This place is total crap! The car had 4.56s in it and a speed-cal box to correct the speedometer. The car came with a 30 day warranty. I took the car in a total of 4 times during the 30 days. It was sold as a certified pre-owned ford. Anyway the car died on the 2nd day of getting it. It would just cut out on the road every once and a while. Then the speedometer stopped working. So they took out the speed cal box which had broken. Well when you have 4.56s and no tune, well... I get the car back and the speedometer is off by like 20mph. Take the car back the next day. They hold on to it for over a week during my 30 day warranty. The idiots had to re gear the car in order to correct the speedometer. They had to replace all kinds of sensors(O2, ckp, tps, etc...) and parts of the gauge cluster.

A couple of months go by and all of the brakes start squeaking... took the calipers off and it was metal on metal. Someone had bent the warning tabs back on the brake pads to ensure that the worn out brake pads wouldn't squeak. I wouldn't put it past this dealer to sell me a car with bad brakes. On top of that the front rotors were seized on the hubs. So... 4 new rotors, 2 pairs of pads, and 2 hubs later my brakes were in good working order.

About a year later, I got a flat tire on the road. Go to put the spare on...won't fit, they sold me a car with a spare tire that won't fit on any of the wheels because it wasn't a cobra spare tire.

Car never came with an owners manual either.

All said and done, I drove my car for 12 of the 30 warrantied days because this crappy ford dealer couldn't sell me a proper working car to begin with.

I will never buy a car from, or step foot in a dealership unless it is to buy overpriced parts.

rant rant rant... sorry.

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
I'm quickly learning this with my 88 GT roller that I'm making into a TermiFox. They hacked much of the car up, and I'm having to fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread