I have a question for those of you who traveled long distance for your car....

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I learned from 9-11pm in Colorado that my invincibility was a mirage just like the hallucinations I was having watching I70 and I80 turn into various shapes.

All I had in my mind was a cross between the drug/psycadellic scene in Beavis and Butthead in the desert, and Dumb and Dumber riding their scooter across the plains.

rwboring

Established Member
Drive 800 miles the 1st day. Get a hotel. 700 the second day.

10-12 hrs of driving should be about max

I would agree with this. I make the 450 mile trip back to where I'm from after getting off work at 5, it makes a long day but it's no problem. Just don't push it and you'll be fine, if you get tired then stop!

farmboy90

Established Member
Can you guys help me with tips on how to protect the paint from bugs and chips while on this drive?

Chris, I think it was you... I could be wrong though... But I remember seeing your car with some film on it during your road trip. What was that and how did you apply it?

I've also heard some people mention saran wrap. Anyone have experience with that? Do I just roll some around the hood, bumper, a-pillars, etc and then tape it down?

BlackOutUT

Established Member
I was wondering this too and my first thought was painters tape. I believe some people have used some kind of vinyl that can be applied, but not sure what it is or where to get it

farmboy90

Established Member
I was wondering this too and my first thought was painters tape. I believe some people have used some kind of vinyl that can be applied, but not sure what it is or where to get it

I was thinking of those painter's drop clothes that are made of vinyl. I was thinking of cutting that and taping it down. But that seems like more work than just masking off all the area with tape (no cutting needed).

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Can you guys help me with tips on how to protect the paint from bugs and chips while on this drive?

Chris, I think it was you... I could be wrong though... But I remember seeing your car with some film on it during your road trip. What was that and how did you apply it?

I've also heard some people mention saran wrap. Anyone have experience with that? Do I just roll some around the hood, bumper, a-pillars, etc and then tape it down?

I went to my local vinyl guy- got a bunch of scrap black strips- and covered the nose. :)

Users who are viewing this thread