I have the 80-100mph vibe and cant fix it. Where should i go in MI?

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
I know at one time bruce was talking about lowering the rear of the pumpkin down to give the front of the diff. a little more up angle. Might want to see if that's the problem.

pkwest

Established Member
I had the vibe from around 100 - 120 bad. I installed the maximum Motorsport irs MMIRSB-40 diff mount. The mount lowers the rear of the differential and raises the front. I was able to match the pinion angle to the drive line angle exactly. The viberation was completely eliminated.

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
I have the rear diff lowering kit installed and could only get the diff angled up at 2 degrees. I guess I am going to try to change the angle of the engine/trans 1 degree t match....

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I'm thinking the vibe is mostly due to pinion angle. Might want to check w/ full tilt boogie and see about adjusting the angle.

This!:thumbsup:
I know at one time bruce was talking about lowering the rear of the pumpkin down to give the front of the diff. a little more up angle. Might want to see if that's the problem.
This :thumbsup:
I have the rear diff lowering kit installed and could only get the diff angled up at 2 degrees. I guess I am going to try to change the angle of the engine/trans 1 degree t match....

And this :thumbsup:

If all of the above does not work I would seriously think about a 3.73 gear set.

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
Why would 4.10's cause a vibration and not 3.73's or 3.55's?

Not sure...but everyone keeps saying it.

I am getting my driveshaft balanced tonight, and am going to "Neutalize" my driveline angle Saturday. "Neutralizing" your driveline angle makes you loosen all the engine and tranny mount bolts, and driving your car 4ft forward and backward. I am hoping to get 1 degree out of that :shrug:.

hotcobra03

Established Member
how are the wheels balanced?static or static and dynamic...
are they stock rims?

have you changed rotors?
what happens if you lightly lift parking brake handle

when at say 120mph...what happens when you lift off gas to float?

what happens when you go into neutral...

does vib change if you put in neutral and rev up tp 5k..

than the change in gears could play a roll in driveshaft flex

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
how are the wheels balanced?static or static and dynamic...
are they stock rims?

Not stock, and I I am not sure how they were balanced. Vibe only appeared once I did all the rear end work...

have you changed rotors?
what happens if you lightly lift parking brake handle

Nope, havent touched them.

when at say 120mph...what happens when you lift off gas to float?

Vibration gets a little bit better but is still there...really bad under load though...

what happens when you go into neutral...

Vibration gets a little bit better but is still there...really bad under load though...

does vib change if you put in neutral and rev up tp 5k..

Nope...only when I am driving fast

than the change in gears could play a roll in driveshaft flex

Thats what i am thinking...

I am still off 1 degree on my pinion angle so I am going to try and fix that Sat...and i am supposed to have my aluminum driveshaft balanced by then as well...

hotcobra03

Established Member
your in a hard spot...i had some issues back after going to 373`s.

ok bash me...we didnt follow all the steps..i have gear whine and had pinion noise.long story short..i had changed the pinion flange and 99% went away...gear whine is still there

my viberated real bad from 70mph and up..on or off gas..but you could float into a sweet spot and it was somewhat ok..

our speed limits here were just raised..70-75-80 depending what road your on

i just now ordered a new trans mount,,mine is broke..i feel alot more vibs thru car with just this being loose...i will have it next week,,i will
post what i felt in changes..

Last edited:

mariosvt

Bazinga
Established Member
I was getting vibrations really bad at 80+ mph.

Turns out that one of my rear wheel hub was bad.
Changed it.
But only some of the vibration went away. I was still getting a little.
Then i installed some MM Sub Frame Connectors and BAM!
It's gone.

rider4life350

Established Member
Shaft speeds are higher relative to the vehicle speeds.

Any harmonics or vibrations present will be magnified proportionally by the higher speeds.

thats what i was thinking but wasnt sure if it was that simple. I have 4.30's and i have a slight vibration. guess it could be the gears. I plan on putting in 3.55's anyway.

thanks for the info.

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
I was getting vibrations really bad at 80+ mph.

Turns out that one of my rear wheel hub was bad.
Changed it.
But only some of the vibration went away. I was still getting a little.
Then i installed some MM Sub Frame Connectors and BAM!
It's gone.

I have the subfram connectors ready to be put in....but planned on doing that when I got a dyno tune....but I dont think i can do the dyno tune until after i get the vibe fixed....

I am in one hell of a pickle :uh oh:

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
Are these vibes that you guys are getting starting out as a whooowhoooowhoooo noise and then turning into a vibe?!?!

hotcobra03

Established Member
Are these vibes that you guys are getting starting out as a whooowhoooowhoooo noise and then turning into a vibe?!?!

mine sounds like a school bus rear,,howl when floating,,

than a highpitch whine when on throttle

rear brake drag was a quick thought i had on yours because of the speed your getting vib...a drive line vib will come in at 30 mph than go away at around 60...

but there is just a vib,vib in ass,or teeth rattle out of your mouth type ,,that would be like windows rattling..

i made driveshafts for a living when living in nj...just you switching driveshaft around is a balance issue,,,if ujoint is to tight it will tighten more when hot,,,like thats why we got rid of ubolt style yokes,,,dumb stuff will get you every time

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
mine sounds like a school bus rear,,howl when floating,,

than a highpitch whine when on throttle

rear brake drag was a quick thought i had on yours because of the speed your getting vib...a drive line vib will come in at 30 mph than go away at around 60...

but there is just a vib,vib in ass,or teeth rattle out of your mouth type ,,that would be like windows rattling..

i made driveshafts for a living when living in nj...just you switching driveshaft around is a balance issue,,,if ujoint is to tight it will tighten more when hot,,,like thats why we got rid of ubolt style yokes,,,dumb stuff will get you every time

The vibe starts rattling your teeth out at 120mph.

I just got my aluminum driveshaft balanced...Im planning on trying it out tomorrow. Ill let you guys know...

speeddemon2000

Established Member
I had a bad vibe, broke my input shat, replaced it with another 10 spline and the vibe was completely gone. I think that maybe I bent the input shaft a small amount and that was causing my issue. I am running 4:10s which make vib issues worse IMO.

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
Put the newly balanced driveshaft in and it works great! I am getting a dyno tune done June 2nd at Alternative Auto!

Users who are viewing this thread