I just bought this HF 3 ton jack

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
does HF stand for Harbor Freight?

I have a Michelin jack, it is heavy as shit, but has never failed me. It wont get up under my car though. I have to drive up on small blocks

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
I have the aluminum race jack from HF and I had to bleed the jack first to get the air out. Does this steel jack require this as well?

Stanger00

Established Member
does HF stand for Harbor Freight?

I have a Michelin jack, it is heavy as shit, but has never failed me. It wont get up under my car though. I have to drive up on small blocks

Yeah, Harbor Freight. This jack is 80lbs, not light at all and its fair for me to say that this thing will never leave the garage. I wanted a jack so I didn't need to drive up on blocks.

I have the aluminum race jack from HF and I had to bleed the jack first to get the air out. Does this steel jack require this as well?

Yeah, on the jack it says to open the relief valve and pump the handle to purge any air. After it says to check fluid level before use. I haven't checked the fluid but I expect it to be a little low.

You have the 1.5? I might buy that one to use at track days but I've used this one before a long time ago and it would bleed down faster than you could put a jack stand under the car! Maybe they're built with better parts now. You have any issues with the jack bleeding down while you are jacking the car up?

I have the same jack and never had any issues.

Great to hear. Hope I have the same experience.

west08

Established Member
Got the same jack about year and half ago, never had any problems with fairly heavy home use.

2012GTCS

Established Member
Was just about to buy this. Have a brand new HF 1.5 ton "racing" aluminum jack that i realized probably isnt gonna cut it so i tried to exchange it for credit towards a 3 ton steel and they wont take it w/o a receipt. GRRR.

I think your jack will be fine, mostly good reviews with a few negatives, but thats with anything out there.

You can find coupons for this jack for 74.99-79.99 all day online. Just get the code and tell them at the register.

Stanger00

Established Member
I'll look for those coupons and I'll buy one if I have to and get the price adjusted. A guy I work with brings in his personal gold coupons once a month. Maybe I'll get lucky and get one of those without having to pay for it.

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
Was just about to buy this. Have a brand new HF 1.5 ton "racing" aluminum jack that i realized probably isnt gonna cut it so i tried to exchange it for credit towards a 3 ton steel and they wont take it w/o a receipt. GRRR.

I think your jack will be fine, mostly good reviews with a few negatives, but thats with anything out there.

You can find coupons for this jack for 74.99-79.99 all day online. Just get the code and tell them at the register.

Yep, I tried to pinch pennies with that 1.5ton but I had to get a 2 ton for my needs. 1.5 doesn't lift high at all.

Yeah, on the jack it says to open the relief valve and pump the handle to purge any air. After it says to check fluid level before use. I haven't checked the fluid but I expect it to be a little low.

You have the 1.5? I might buy that one to use at track days but I've used this one before a long time ago and it would bleed down faster than you could put a jack stand under the car! Maybe they're built with better parts now. You have any issues with the jack bleeding down while you are jacking the car up?

No, I have the 2 ton racing jack. I bought the racing jack so I could transport it easily if need be. Never had any issues with the jack bleeding down, make sure you have bled it correctly.

Last edited:

Stanger00

Established Member
No, I have the 2 ton racing jack. I bought the racing jack so I could transport it easily if need be. Never had any issues with the jack bleeding down, make sure you have bled it correctly.

That's a way better jack over the 1.5.

The first thing I did after I put the handle on was bleed the air and I checked the fluid level and its within spec. 4 full pumps and it put my car up in the air high enough to slip a jack stand under the car.

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
That's a way better jack over the 1.5.

The first thing I did after I put the handle on was bleed the air and I checked the fluid level and its within spec. 4 full pumps and it put my car up in the air high enough to slip a jack stand under the car.
Nice... That 1.5 may be okay to change a tire. That's about it.

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
I have a similar HF jack, but mine came with a dimpled rubber disc that was seeded in the round aluminum part that contacts the car when lifting it.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I have the same jack, and my brother has the longer 2 ton jack. Both have worked flawlessly.

If you really want a jack that you know will never fail, go find yourself a 1920's Roll-A-Car. 5000lbs weight limit, no hydraulics, suggest method of cleaning is "pour gasoline on it". My uncle has one of these and its a beast.

walker.jpg

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Same jack here. Works great.

Before that I had an older orange one of theirs. It lasted 12 years before it started leaking some. Still worked though.

Users who are viewing this thread