I must have the worst gas mileage of any mass-produced car

MLMike25

Established Member
So I'm backing my car out of the garage today to wash it. As I'm backing out, the 50 miles until empty notice comes up. Thanks car!

When I'm done drying the car, I pull forward out of the drive way and turn the car around so that I can pull forward into the garage and to help get any excess water from those trapped areas. When I park the car back into the garage, it is now at 49 miles left until empty. WTF??? (My house and driveway are a typical size and I definitely didn't drive it anywhere.)

I don't know what the deal is with that mystery mile, but I've only had the car about a month and a half and I have noticed disappointing gas mileage with this car, even though I've been babying it and worked my way up to 17.9-18.0 mpg (from 16 mpg). Car is 100% stock. No mods/tune done to it.

Anyone else getting suspect gas mileage?

Svt-Rich

V
Established Member
If you just got the car it'll get better. Mine was pretty bad too until I did my first oil change and now its gotten a lot better. I can get high 20's consistently on the highway, in the begining I could barely break 20mpgs.

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
There is a TSB for fuel fill level and the gas 'dinger' going off prematurely if i'm not mistaken.

WHITEMACH

Established Member
GEE WIZZ!!! I get 17-18mph around town and 22-23 @75-80mph on the hyw,,,,with 4.30 gears to boot!!!!!!!!!!!:banana::dancenana:

dynasty_365

Established Member
Yea it was just the slant of your vehicle that made ya gas drip a little. Nothing major. Happened to anyone who parks on an incline

driving about 40 on the interstate in 6th gear one night and was getting 35mpg in my stang no bullshit. Even took a pic of that lol

MLMike25

Established Member
Yea it was just the slant of your vehicle that made ya gas drip a little. Nothing major. Happened to anyone who parks on an incline

driving about 40 on the interstate in 6th gear one night and was getting 35mpg in my stang no bullshit. Even took a pic of that lol

Maybe, but both readings were noted when my car was parked in a flat garage.

kingnut

Established Member
if your looking for gas mileage buy a prius. i wouldnt be driving a 5.0 for a daily driver but some people dont have the ability to afford 2 cars.

JerryC

Established Member
If you let the car idle, the computer hates you :)
It will drop the calculated MPG by a tenth in hurry and keep on dropping it.

1HUBCAP

110 octane
Established Member
LOL @ worrying about mpg in these things.. However mine gets 22-23 on the highway and about 18 in town with the auto..Can't wait to get the 3.73's installed :rockon:

Last edited:

MLMike25

Established Member
if your looking for gas mileage buy a prius. i wouldnt be driving a 5.0 for a daily driver but some people dont have the ability to afford 2 cars.

Sigh. Reading comprehension people.

My last 4 cars have been v8's. Clearly I KNOW that good gas mileage and V8's don't go together. That is not the point.

Tthe point is: My car claims I'm getting 18 mpg, yet I seem to be filling up more frequently than in my Terminator, which I'm sure wasn't getting 18 mpg. Could my 2012 5.0, driven for leisure 2-3x per week, with less than 3k miles be reporting mpg incorrectly?

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

JerryC

Established Member
Sigh. Reading comprehension people.

My last 4 cars have been v8's. Clearly I KNOW that good gas mileage and V8's don't go together. That is not the point.

Tthe point is: My car claims I'm getting 18 mpg, yet I seem to be filling up more frequently than in my Terminator, which I'm sure wasn't getting 18 mpg. Could my 2012 5.0, driven for leisure 2-3x per week, with less than 3k miles be reporting mpg incorrectly?

Hope this helps.

If the calculated 18MPG is correct you'll get the "50 miles to empty" with about 3 gallons left in the tank, add in some fudge factor from Ford and your 16 gallon tank now seems like a 12 gallon tank. This had me wondering when i first got my car. On a road trip it was like the gas tank was smaller than the wifes bladder :)

Users who are viewing this thread