I must have the worst gas mileage of any mass-produced car

PhantomX

Established Member
The MPG calculator is based on a few things, if you leave it and never reset it the car will settle into a pretty consistent MPG even though one tank may be worse, another may be better. It's doing an average of miles/gallons the more miles and the more gallons it does the more even the rating will be. If you reset it every tank it will change pretty drastically every time. At the end of the day it's just a calculation. The fuel level is based on a sensor (usually a float of some sort) that reads the level. Change the angle of the car and it changes the float level and throws off the calculation because the car thinks there is less fuel in it.

You can calculate it yourself by dividing the number of miles driven by the amount of gas you put in, you'll find it's pretty close. But even your numbers will be off a little bit because you will never put the exact same amount of fuel in every time. Nobody pulls over instantly the 50mile warning comes on and fills up the same way every single time, sometimes you fill the fuel neck all the way up, sometimes halfway, sometimes your in a hurry and let out the first time the pump clicks. It's always going to vary a little...

Simply really once you think about it...

I settle into about 17-18mpg mixed hwy/city driving. I enjoy spirited driving and I have 3.73's, so honestly I could care less about mileage. I enjoy the h*** out of my car. I did a trip to Ft. Lauderdale recently and averaged 20mpg running 85mph. I actually got 300 miles out of that tank of gas which I thought was great. Normally about 225-250 and it's time for fuel. If I want mileage I ride my motorcycle, it gets 38mpg...

Last edited:

Mus35th

Established Member
Driving style on these cars affects MPG substantially.

If I baby the car and drive 70 on the interstate I get 23-24 with 6M tune/intake/O/R x/3.73.

80 mph = 21-22

When I was driving around Myrtle during Mustang Week... 10-13 MPG :burnout:

Ray Lucca

Established Member
5.0 guys have it great compared to my 09 GT 500. For example, I filled it up Full, have driven 73 miles and I'm under a half tank left. My worst is 9, and my best is 14 Mpg. Never raced, usually a few Freeway pulls per tank. Sucks gas like a big Hummer. The cost of the Blower whine I guess.

MLMike25

Established Member
5.0 guys have it great compared to my 09 GT 500. For example, I filled it up Full, have driven 73 miles and I'm under a half tank left. My worst is 9, and my best is 14 Mpg. Never raced, usually a few Freeway pulls per tank. Sucks gas like a big Hummer. The cost of the Blower whine I guess.

Sounds like you have a heavy foot. Is that typical for those cars?

acrbill

Established Member
With my BBR race tune I am getting around 12MPG in true city driving. On short expressway trips I get like 18. I just took my car down to Georgia and I babied it for 400 miles and averaged 27.5MPG and that was with a 10 mile backup at the beginning of the trip so it would have been better. With a 3.31 gear instead of the 3.55 it would have been better yet. The second half of the trip I started speeding more and using the a/c so the MPG dropped to 26MPG which is fantastic considering what I am working with.

ViciousJay

Established Member
With my BBR race tune I am getting around 12MPG in true city driving. On short expressway trips I get like 18. I just took my car down to Georgia and I babied it for 400 miles and averaged 27.5MPG and that was with a 10 mile backup at the beginning of the trip so it would have been better. With a 3.31 gear instead of the 3.55 it would have been better yet. The second half of the trip I started speeding more and using the a/c so the MPG dropped to 26MPG which is fantastic considering what I am working with.

WOW i have a BBR tune as well and i just averaged 17mpg on the street this morning with the AC on, 24 on the highway with some nice rips

Digital_Synapse

Established Member
I get about 200mpt if I drive conservatively, mixed cty/hwy. 23mpg at 60mph m6 3.73 93 Lund tune. At 70 it drops to 20mpg. 300 mpt on hwy trips. If I drive spirited, easily drops to 165mpt mixed city hwy, mostly city. Thats like 12mpg with a heavy foot.

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
All city I get about 18, with city and highway mixed I can easily get 21. Haven't had just an interstate trip but I imagine 24-25 would be pretty easy.

My last car, G35, got 19 city, 22 mixed and 25 interstate....and that was in a v6 so I am pretty happy with my mileage.

Users who are viewing this thread