I need a torch for getting things super hot.

NA97GT

Established Member
I need to buy a torch to remove my stripped exhaust stud. I want something inexpensive that will work for occasional use only.

I was thinking of using this mapp one at lowes for $41
Fat_Boy_TS4000KC_US_lg.jpg

They also have this oxy-mapgas system that can cut and weld that is about $59. But I heard that it runs out of oxygen fast and the little tanks are expensive $8 each, which makes it less than ideal for welding.

OX2550KC_lg1.jpg

So which one should I buy, or should I consider something else.

Last edited:

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
Aluminum Head or Steel Head?

You realize that either one of those Torches has the ability to Melt Aluminum which has a Melting Point of about 1220 Degrees, and even lower depending on the Alloy.

NA97GT

Established Member
Aluminum Head or Steel Head?

You realize that either one of those Torches has the ability to Melt Aluminum which has a Melting Point of about 1220 Degrees, and even lower depending on the Alloy.
The stud is attached to the exhaust manifold, it bolts to the midpipe not the cylinder head.

NA97GT

Established Member
Ahh, gotcha. The MAP Gas Torches work pretty good.
Good, I was hoping that the less expensive one would be fine for this. The process of me heating up the manifold red-hot near the stud wont hurt anything right?

NA97GT

Established Member
I can get vice grips around it but its going to be really hard to apply enough torque with them alone. My car is a 97 and this stud has never been removed.

bonk96gt

Established Member
I recommend the oxy one. I have tried many times when working on my cars to do with just the map and it takes forever to heat it up enough or it doesn't heat it up enough. I only do this when I am out of oxygen because I am too lazy to run to the store and end up wasting more time in the process hoping that the map will be enough. You could always just get the map set-up and if that doesn't work then add to it the oxy stuff.
Heating the manifold redhot wont hurt anything, just be careful of things near by that could be damaged. another trick that has worked for me has been to heat the manifold red hot and then cool off the stud quickly with water or wet towel to get the seperation needed.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
I had a similar issue on the drivers side, although it was because I was trying to remove the stud from the manifold (it broke in half). I ended up removing the manifold and taking it to a machine shop.

Coiled03

Established Member
I can get vice grips around it but its going to be really hard to apply enough torque with them alone. My car is a 97 and this stud has never been removed.

I'd try a lot of things before I'd take a torch to that area.

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
Here's a method I've used before that seems to work. If it's just stripped or cross threaded, get a really good impact and run a nut down it to the base of the stud. Let it get that sucker good and tight. Then soak the stud where it screws into the manifold with PB Blaster. Then put your impact back on the nut and reverse it out. Usually the stud will unscrew before the nut will back off the stud.

Either that or you can run the nut down on the stud and put a couple spot welds on it.

Users who are viewing this thread