I need help. A Z28 is threatening me!!

Silver03Termi

Established Member
my buddy has a 98 z28, open headers, and slicks. he ran a 12.98 at 98 mph. hes coming back this week with NOS and 4.10 gears. guys wanna gimme some pointers? i cant seem to get lower than 12.45 at 112. ive been to the track 2 times, ran 3 times each. my first outing my best time was a 12.8 at 111, i also ran a 13.1 at 115 (the high trap speed shows potential for 11's). my 60 ft times sucked, 2.0 and 2.1, respectively. my 2nd outing i fitted the car with nitto nt555 315's. i launched at 4000rpm, hooked up, ran a 1.89 in the 60 and 12.45 at the traps. the good news is that i slaughtered the 05z06 that lined up next to me. that same run was repeated 2 more times, with pretty much the same results. here are my mods: 2.8 steeda upper, gates belt, SCT XC3 tuner (no custom tune), flow master off road x pipe, flowmaster cat back, and a K&N filter with the silencer removed. my shifts are spot on and smooth. is it in the generic tune? is it because of my intake? would the boost bypass mod help? ive heard rumor that without this mod, the blower dumps all excess boost, that is anything over stock boost, at WOT. or is it just this slow? feel free to message me with pointers and ideas

mrbigjeep

Established Member
if he ran 12.98 at 98 then something is wrong with his car big time. real low trap speed...and how big of a shot? coreys pullied cobra was even with his brothers bolt on/sprayed ls1

lukabrozi

SVT *****
Established Member
first thing is this

Confidence in your car !!

No way the Z28 beats you unless you just freeze at the line.

get some MT's on the back and then laugh all the way.

Let HIM spend the money trying to catch your car.

Bet him the amount that you want to spend on your mods, he will feel the pressure.

Let the car do the racing. you just are in it for the ride. Cobra's ain't NO joke especially in these situations.

Bluebullit

Established Member
yeah you could get a lil lower cause my buddy has the same pulley size with all the lil bolt on's with a stock TB and a solid swap with 3.73 and with M/T drs on his bigs and lils he went like 11.7 at 119 or 120 (not sure on the mph) so you should be able to beat the z28 pretty easy depending on the shot

i would really recommend getting the bypass mod and a custom tune asap

96lowbra

SN8KE B.I.T.3
Established Member
launch ur car about 4,500rpm dont poop the clutch pedal hard do it fast but not to hard so u dont boog the car i have gone 11.8@117 with almost the same bolt ons with 1.7 60'ft reamember it counts ur reaction time one u launch ur car and it doesnt boog hes done

lemons12

Established Member
if that really is his times, his car is ****ED up!

bone stock ls1s trap at minimum 4-5mph faster than that..

410s arent going to give him too much advantage.. 2/10s max... if he sprays a hefty shot (150-175), he will be in mid-high 11s easily.. a smaller shot (75-100) will put him bottom 12s..

that is if his car doesnt blow up.... like i said there is something VERY wrong with his car.. he should be trapping around 107-109... depending on whether he is a manual or auto.. but im assuming a manual, so the latter.

im just letting you know what his car should do.. the cobra guys will help you get there hopefully..

slow2v

GONE
Established Member
his time really is sad. 98 trap is HORRIBLE. the 12.9 isnt bad but something is fishy with the 98 trap or his car has a problem

i know of stock ls1s on street tires trapping 110+

as far as you running him, like i said b4 get a tune. you should be trapping in the 120 range with p.i.e.

and tb does stand for throttle body but jlt is a cold air intake aka CAI

lemons12

Established Member
his time really is sad. 98 trap is HORRIBLE. the 12.9 isnt bad but something is fishy with the 98 trap or his car has a problem

i know of stock ls1s on street tires trapping 110+

as far as you running him, like i said b4 get a tune. you should be trapping in the 120 range with p.i.e.

and tb does stand for throttle body but jlt is a cold air intake aka CAI

there arent any stock ls1s trapping 110+... unless by stock you mean exhaust/intake..

bone stock ls1s wont hit 110+ traps.. regardless what options it has, what year, or m6/a4..

slow2v

GONE
Established Member
there arent any stock ls1s trapping 110+... unless by stock you mean exhaust/intake..

bone stock ls1s wont hit 110+ traps.. regardless what options it has, what year, or m6/a4..

well when i said that i was referring to vettes but still lol

and when i say stock, i mean stock :burnout:

lemons12

Established Member
well when i said that i was referring to vettes but still lol

and when i say stock, i mean stock :burnout:

when i said that i was referring to ls1s.... as in trans ams, camaros, corvettes, gtos...

an ls1 is and ls1 is and ls1... doesnt matter what its in, its not going to do 110+ in true stock trim...

slow2v

GONE
Established Member
as much as i hate him, 1sickz51 trapped 112 with just a borla catback in the florida heat. i highly doubt he wouldnt have trapped 110 bone stock

and that was with a 2.0 60ft and full interior, stock wheels.

Last edited:

coanbread

Banned
i would say try to lighten your car. pull the rear seat etc. itll make you a little quicker and wont cost you money. youll just have to put it back in. and if you have the money, get the tune.

lemons12

Established Member
GMHTP did it with a 2003 C5...:shrug:

2003 Vette's East Coast Testing - Features - GM High-Tech Performance
12.76 at 111.96 miles an hour

so one has done it?

and that was in 60 degrees, not quite a hot day... iced the intake... and probably drove the **** outta it...

99.99999% will not do 110...
i will say the right car, on the right day, at the right track... it is possible.. below sea level...

as much as i hate him, 1sickz51 trapped 112 with just a borla catback in the florida heat. i highly doubt he wouldnt have trapped 110 bone stock

and that was with a 2.0 60ft and full interior, stock wheels.

borla carback=not stock..

S8ER01Z

Established Member
so one has done it?

and that was in 60 degrees, not quite a hot day... iced the intake... and probably drove the **** outta it...

99.99999% will not do 110...
i will say the right car, on the right day, at the right track... it is possible.. below sea level...

Just pointing out.. you said it wasn't happening at all. What's wrong with playing devils advocate?

Users who are viewing this thread