I need help diagnosing a fuel issue P0148

beastmar

Established Member
I went out for a spirited drive the other night and when I decided to go WOT, my car starts sputtering and eventually dies and I have to stop along side of the road. Sitting there pondering what was going on, I decide to check my vacuum hoses, and everything was fine. I’m still pulling vacuum so I thought ok it’s not a vacuum leak.

Next I check my car for codes and this P0148 is present. So I think hey I’ll unplug the FRPS and I’ll be able to drive it home. I do so, but the car won’t start. So I plug it back in and I just limp it home sputtering and setting off car alarms ( I was about 1/2 miles away). I also have the KB disc installed underneath the FRPS.

So the night after I get home from work, I start double checking things like my vacuum hoses again and checking around my injectors to see if there is a leak present. Still everything looks fine. I even spray my entire engine bay with brake cleaner to see if the idle changes. I especially sprayed behind the blower to make sure nothing back there is punctured or cracked.

So what could my problem be? My car was working fine before I went WOT and maybe something popped off in the fuel tank? Or could it be a fuel filter? Here is a video below during idle. There is also black smoke coming from the rear.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
Did you pull the vacuum line from the FRPS to see if it had fuel in it?

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

beastmar

Established Member
Did you pull the vacuum line from the FRPS to see if it had fuel in it?

Yes I did. I did not smell or see any gas. I also sprayed brake cleaner around the motor and that didn't change my idle. I will update the post above to include this. I also have the KB disc installed at the rail.

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
has car restarted?

if not.. clear pcm and try again..

I'm having a similar issue..limp mode after wot..

I got codes,,haven't yet done anything..

I have issue with intercooler leak..I'm thinking it was this not bring on caused it..

so I'm thinking maybe same thing for yours..check fluid and flow

beastmar

Established Member
has car restarted?

if not.. clear pcm and try again..

I'm having a similar issue..limp mode after wot..

I got codes,,haven't yet done anything..

I have issue with intercooler leak..I'm thinking it was this not bring on caused it..

so I'm thinking maybe same thing for yours..check fluid and flow

This video is taken the day after it happened. I reinstalled my tune from my x4. I will check to see if I have any coolant leaks, but I don't think this is the cause of my problem (shrugs). Seems like a fuel problem to me.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'd pull the FRPS and try to blow through it. The black smoke, the A/F reading, and how it sounds leads me to believe the FRPS is bad. That's how mine acted when it blew. And I didn't have any gas in the vacuum line. But I was able to blow through the FRPS.

beastmar

Established Member
I'd pull the FRPS and try to blow through it. The black smoke, the A/F reading, and how it sounds leads me to believe the FRPS is bad. That's how mine acted when it blew. And I didn't have any gas in the vacuum line. But I was able to blow through the FRPS.

Yeah that will be the first thing I will check when I get home. Thank you!

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I installed new plugs about 3,000 miles ago with new pumps as well

Ya, but it just ran at a plug fouling rich level. Not to mention 3000 is enough to warrant a change on a modded car even if it was running perfect. I'd have a new set of TR6s ready to go once you figure out the fuel issue, 20 bucks is cheap

beastmar

Established Member
Alright guys, I figured it out. It was a hose that popped off a fitting in the tank. Thanks for everyone’s input

Users who are viewing this thread