I need opinions on another pistol

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
I'm just about to start Academy, however I've been told I can't use my SA XD45 Compact, because apparently no agencies in Fl authorize its use, and my instructor doesn't feel any will in the future?!? So I need to buy a non XD pistol...

My choices are:

Glock 17,19 or 22,23
Beretta 96FS
H&K USP,USPcompact,and p2000
and Sig p220,225,226,228,229,239,and Sig Pro

A few additional notes:
~All Glocks have to be setup with 8lb triggers...(yet I can't use my XD with several extra safety features)...... grrrrrr....
~I have some time with a sig in .40 (a P226/8/9?) and Glocks so those are the front runners....
~Oh and I REALLY like the XD's :cuss:

Thanks...

lloyyd

Cobra-less again
Established Member
I have shot all the guns you have listed & I went with a Sig 229 in .40. It feels great in my hand, is very accurate & never a misfire in probably 2000 rds.

logan_yomtov

Established Member
I have a glock 19, its light and somewhat reliable....i have the 10 round magazines it came with and if i put more than 8 rounds in it, it tends to jam....i guess the spring tension gets too tight or something....

I haven't fired any of the other guns you have listed though i am planning on firing the usp when i can find one at the gun range i can rent...If i like it it'll be my next pistol....

oh yeah, a good thing about the glocks is that they are relatively inexpensive...a lot of bang for your buck.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
E. Green Cobra said:
I'm just about to start Academy, however I've been told I can't use my SA XD45 Compact, because apparently no agencies in Fl authorize its use, and my instructor doesn't feel any will in the future?!? So I need to buy a non XD pistol...

My choices are:

Glock 17,19 or 22,23
Beretta 96FS
H&K USP,USPcompact,and p2000
and Sig p220,225,226,228,229,239,and Sig Pro

A few additional notes:
~All Glocks have to be setup with 8lb triggers...(yet I can't use my XD with several extra safety features)...... grrrrrr....
~I have some time with a sig in .40 (a P226/8/9?) and Glocks so those are the front runners....
~Oh and I REALLY like the XD's :cuss:

Thanks...

Which Academy? Are you sponsored? Most of the HSCO guys I work with carry either the Glock 17 or 22. I prefer the .40 cal. Some go with the Sig, but it is not worth the expense for a duty weapon. They are equally as reliable and the Glock can withstand more punishment.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
Which Academy? Are you sponsored? Most of the HSCO guys I work with carry either the Glock 17 or 22. I prefer the .40 cal. Some go with the Sig, but it is not worth the expense for a duty weapon. They are equally as reliable and the Glock can withstand more punishment.
Its HillsborughCommunityCollege, and unfortunately HCSO found "more qualified applicants" in the final selections... so I'm paying my way...
The Sig is expensive, but I shoot it well, although the SA/DA trigger takes some getting used to.
The Glock is cheap and durable much like the XD, but then I have to get the trigger job, and I'll bet I have to return it to stock if I ever get a job...

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
E. Green Cobra said:
Its HillsborughCommunityCollege, and unfortunately HCSO found "more qualified applicants" in the final selections... so I'm paying my way...
The Sig is expensive, but I shoot it well, although the SA/DA trigger takes some getting used to.
The Glock is cheap and durable much like the XD, but then I have to get the trigger job, and I'll bet I have to return it to stock if I ever get a job...

Good Luck. Florida has a glutton of POST certified people without jobs. You might want to keep applying to agencies until you find one willing to commit to you. A lot of people put themselves through the academy to not get hired in this area. I would suggest becoming a reserve deputy first. HCSO pays your way and then you gain experience and can move into the dept that way with more ease.

Glock is a better carry weapon because of the abuse your weapon will take getting in and out of the patrol car and from being on a gun belt all the time.

Good Luck.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
I'd say H&K if you can afford it. They are top notch, but it MUST fit your hand.

Go handle some and see what fits your hand better. If you know anyone with the afore mentioned guns, ask if you can go shooting with them.

TaraFirma

Established Member
E, I've been carying a Sig 228 fro about 15 years and wouldn't trade it for the world. If I they'd of let me I would have brought it here to Iraq with me for my personal sidearm. Way better pistol than the M9 i was issued. I personnaly never really liked the Glock, but some folks swear by it. I dont like the way it woks and would never carry one for SD.
The Sig 229 is an awesome choice in .40 as the 228 is a 9mm and isn't really available to the public anymore. H&K's are pretty sweet too. Id go with the 229 with a USP .40 or .45 comomg in a close second.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
Good Luck. Florida has a glutton of POST certified people without jobs. You might want to keep applying to agencies until you find one willing to commit to you. A lot of people put themselves through the academy to not get hired in this area. I would suggest becoming a reserve deputy first. HCSO pays your way and then you gain experience and can move into the dept that way with more ease.

Glock is a better carry weapon because of the abuse your weapon will take getting in and out of the patrol car and from being on a gun belt all the time.

Good Luck.
Yea tell me about it, and now with the tax issue.... I plan on reapplying with HCSO,(but I hear I might have to go back to academy for some things?) and otherwise I'm looking to head to the east coast...
Stevenbekah said:
Not bad choices for sure...be sure to look at other makes though
Can't, I need one on this approved list- otherwise I'd use my XD.
TaraFirma said:
E, I've been carying a Sig 228 fro about 15 years and wouldn't trade it for the world. If I they'd of let me I would have brought it here to Iraq with me for my personal sidearm. Way better pistol than the M9 i was issued. I personnaly never really liked the Glock, but some folks swear by it. I dont like the way it woks and would never carry one for SD.
The Sig 229 is an awesome choice in .40 as the 228 is a 9mm and isn't really available to the public anymore. H&K's are pretty sweet too. Id go with the 229 with a USP .40 or .45 comomg in a close second.
My friend works for a local PD and they're issued Sig, a nice piece, but at $800, I dunno...

ByteMe

Established Member
Interesting article on the thinking behind the glock trigger:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_11_50/ai_n6209982

For a duty weapon, other than a poor fit in your hand, I can't think of a reason why you wouldn't go w/glock. Our SO allows the Springfield XD, so it's a choice around here. If it werent, I would be all over the glock based on cost and reliability. There are nicer weapons out there, but for this application, Glock is definetly a proven commodity. Good look at POST.

Ben 98

Established Member
Given those choices I would go with the Glock, howver it's the only one out of those choices I have shot. I too own a xd .45 but mines a fullsize, I love mine feels great in my hand and I shoot well with it.

SSCOBRA03

Established Member
Go with the P2000. They can be bought for about $660 at gunshows. I've carried a Sig p220 and a Beretta 96d but I like my current H&K P2000 LEM a lot better than the other two.

timpryor

Turbo'd ST
Established Member
i LOVE my glock 19 becuse i have smaller hands, all my mags are old LEO marked ban mags or post ban 15 rounders and all but 2 have the +2 extensions on them have fired prolly 2k rounds and NEVER have had a jam.

Users who are viewing this thread