I need your help: What should I get 99-04 GT SOHC or S197 3v???

smitty2919

Established Member
The SLP firehawk and formula cars fetch good money due to "rare factor" which I could care less about personally. I like to tinker and mod so I would be decreasing resale value.

That's why a base Z28 fbody is great for me to rip into and mod as I please with no guilt. I would swap a LS into a SN95 since I DO like the looks still, don't care so much for the more upright seating position of a SN95 and having to reach for 3rd. Only way I would so a LS SN95 is if the car was given to me and I had a LS motor sitting around and I was bored. Otherwise it's less hassle to stick with Fbody.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
don't care so much for the more upright seating position of a SN95 and having to reach for 3rd.

A November 2016 picture of smitty

tiny-trex-man.jpg

Recon

Established Member
the standard firebird formula is just as fast as the WS6 and its faster than the trans am due to less weight. The ls1 has virtually the same power output across all the trim levels of 4th gen f-bodies even though GM did some funny business with the hp ratings.

I'm aware of that.
Sorry stopsign, thread is getting off track.

Sent from somewhere in the Twilight Zone.

smitty2919

Established Member
HA, nicely done.

Some people are brand loyal, I get it (not really). I simply look at what I want out of a car and the aftermarket available and the potential. Then find a car accordingly. FOR ME, Ford (and Honda and Toyota and Nissan and Dodge) doesn't offer anything I would care to own. It's not because it's a Ford either...

But I digress and back on topic....

I would still go SN95 2V. Smaller car and less of a "boat", aftermarket is gigantic, easy to work on (I've never worked on a 3V though).

edit:
I re-read your needs for this car...for a DD that won't get many mods, a 3V may be better for slightly more room in the car???

Stopsign32v

Established Member
edit:
I re-read your needs for this car...for a DD that won't get many mods, a 3V may be better for slightly more room in the car???

It will be highly modded

I want a cammed Mustang again so however I go, the car needs to "doot da doot doot doot da doot da doot" while it idles. Also I have always LOOOOOOVED the classic sound of the 2v while also laughing at them because of how slow they are. Not sure if anyone knows/remembers him but Mrbigjeep was the member that got me to respect 2v. His cammed/nitrous 2v ran very very good.

I got to looking at BMR suspension and wasn't impressed with what I saw. I was hoping for solid bushing control arms for both upper and lower control arms. So I guess I will be sticking with SN95 chassis because it flat out works at the track and on the street.

I'm hoping with ported TFS heads and cams this car can be respectable for most things I will run into on a daily basis. Don't plan on making any national callouts with it or anything.

smitty2919

Established Member
2V with turbo and manual trans and you got a deal. Bustin ya balls, I can never do manual anything...I don't drag race but I see their benefit.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Yes it is. Spoilerless and cowl will be the route I take as well. I'd be lucky to have it look as good as his though.

I loved the new edges with just trunk lid and no spoiler. I had a black 01 cobra prior to my 03 that I put a spoiler-less trunk deck/lid on. Those cars look really good spoiler-less.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I loved the new edges with just trunk lid and no spoiler. I had a black 01 cobra prior to my 03 that I put a spoiler-less trunk deck/lid on. Those cars look really good spoiler-less.

I agree. I haven't had much luck with the third brake light not oxidizing though.

Users who are viewing this thread