I never get more than 6lbs of boost in first gear.

SStupid

Established Member
Help, anybody? I am completely stock except for a K&N drop-in. At WOT in first gear, I never get past approx 6lbs of boost. After I shift into second, it goes up to 8lbs and falls off a little around 5500RPMs. How can I have belt-slip on stock everything? I think my belt was even replaced with a new one when they did the tick fix. Any other ideas where I might be losing boost? Thanks.

03DOHC

Established Member
Unless your car feels slow or you're losing power I wouldn't worry about it.

lethal

Established Member
The boost only engages when the engine has a load on it. If you don't see a ton of boost, you may have a tight, powerful engine. If your worried, go dyno it and I'm sure all the power is there.

John

SStupid

Established Member
Dyno

I dynoed on a Dynojet here in Austin. My numbers were 387rwhp and 370rwtq, SAE corrected. I guess I won't worry about it. Thanks, guys.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Big hp number! With the colder weather today, my gauge was in the 10 range. I also just have a K+N drop in.

SStupid

Established Member
HP

Those dynos numbers were in June, as well. I need to get another dyno in colder weather for comparison. I also have a new clutch now, so maybe my torque number will jump a little.

351MachOne

Kicking Your Ass
Established Member
Holy crap... You made excellent numbers.. I would say that your engine is jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeest fine!

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
Yeah those are really impressive numbers. I don't thing there as ANYTHING at all wrong with your snake.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Hmmm,

Mine does the same. In fact I can't get the boost any higher than 7 lbs. in any gear at sea level. Higher elevations hit higher boost (like 9-10 psi). Will be interesting to see similar numbers when it's dyno'd later this month.

:)

maoun

Established Member
these cars are hand made...they're all a little bit different. (in other words, mine's better than yours!) hehehe, j/k

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by PhillyCobra
PlatinumCobra,

That sounds bizarre!! How can you possibly explain that finding?

I thought so too. At first, I was like WTF, when is this thing going to start pulling 8 psi or more? Went up to Prescott Today and the boost was up. I'm usually at 700 ft or so, but Prescott is around 5000 ft. And HP didn't seem to be affected all that much by the elevation either (used to live in Colo. Springs so I KNOW the elevation monster quite well). :shrug:

Sure enough the boost was near the top (just shy of the 10 tick) when I hit the juice on the pass into town. I totally agree it's odd, considering I would think boost would go DOWN with higher elevations.

akaeric

Established Member
I live below sea level i live on a Island and I can stick the boost gauge to 10 psi in 2nd and 3rd but loose a little in 4th on. 1st gear sucks need to get out of 1st as soon as possible. I don't know how true the factory gauge is a aftermarket gauge is better. Thats what I had to do with my 300zx tt because the factory gauge stunk.

Last edited:

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
What about increasing air flow. I would imagine that a CAI and exhaust would show you more boost in 1st......

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Well,

Found out why mine wasn't hitting full boost... the spark plugs. Now I'm able to easily peg the meter.

Had the car dyno'd Yesterday and it showed an unusually rich A/F mixture (like < 10) above 4500 RPM, so I assumed this explained the lack of boost. Have to get the car dyno'd again with the plugs to see if this is the cause.

akaeric

Established Member
It depends on where you are standing but its not enough to make a differaant compared what that guy said earlier. The boost is measured through the vacum lines. Thats where you would splice a aftermarket gauge is in thevac. line now I'm new with this car so I don't know what line it is but the factory gauge has to be hooked to a sending unit or its plugged straight into the line and if thats the case then it should be as good as a aftermarket because it dosen't work throught an electricial system ECU or sending unit. ALL I know is a cat.2 huricane will cover allmost the hole Island is that close enough?:thumbsup:

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member
Originally posted by PlatinumCobra
Well,

Found out why mine wasn't hitting full boost... the spark plugs. Now I'm able to easily peg the meter.

Huh? Say what?

-I changed my blinker fluid and saw an increase in boost.....give it a try!

maoun

Established Member
shh...don't tell anyone but upgraded muffler bearings are good for at least 4 lbs of boost :)

lol

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member
Originally posted by maoun
shh...don't tell anyone but upgraded muffler bearings are good for at least 4 lbs of boost :)

lol
Since turbo mufflers see high heat, the turbo bearings in these mufflers will eventually wear out...I check 'em at every oil change. ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread