I really need help removing my supercharger

Mike681

Established Member
Hey guys, I spent most of this morning trying to remove my Kenne Bell 2.2L supercharger from my car so that I can send it to KB for repair.

I apologize in advance, but I have a thread in KB Tech also, but am trying to cover my bases here.

For the life of me, I cannot unscrew this last hex bolt under the plenum. I have tried using countless tool combos, with no avail. What the have you all used or would recommend using?

I even tried unbolting the lower bolts with the whole manifold attached, but the SC doesn't want to lift out, even with everything disconnected, I just don't want to force it.

Here is the bolt I'm talking about:

photo4_zpsa4a0027f.jpg

photo6_zps0733b011.jpg

Mike681

Established Member
Maybe try a ball end Allen wrench with a vise grip clamped onto it for some leverage

Thanks but I did try that. The issue is that I cannot insert any tool into the bolt straight on because the plenum is over it. I actually stripped the bolt a little trying this method. Would think it would work though, right?

CtSvt

Established Member
Thanks but I did try that. The issue is that I cannot insert any tool into the bolt straight on because the plenum is over it. I actually stripped the bolt a little trying this method. Would think it would work though, right?

Small channel locks should get it if you can get some bite on it

03cobraracer

Established Member
either locking pliers or take your allen key and cut it down some so its shorter and then it should fit under the plenum. its been so long since I did my blower but that should work.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Remove the whole shebang
Intercooler and all as 1 unit!
Then unbolt it outside the car!

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
remove the whole shebang
intercooler and all as 1 unit!
Then unbolt it outside the car!

+1 which will look something like this. It is heavier and more akward, but easier in the long run. In the very back/bottom of the lower intake is a wireloom holder that holds the main harness (pretty beefy). If you didn't unhook that holder, you aren't lifting anything out of there. I can take pics if needed (engine assembled on stand)
5a2bb2f9.jpg

Last edited:

Mike681

Established Member
+1 which will look something like this. It is heavier and more akward, but easier in the long run. In the very back/bottom of the lower intake is a wireloom holder that holds the main harness (pretty beefy). If you didn't unhook that holder, you aren't lifting anything out of there. I can take pics if needed (engine assembled on stand)
5a2bb2f9.jpg

Thanks both of you for validating taking the whole thing out. Can you please send a pic of the wireoom? I could swear I unhooked everything, but maybe not! Thanks again.

Mike681

Established Member
either locking pliers or take your allen key and cut it down some so its shorter and then it should fit under the plenum. its been so long since I did my blower but that should work.

I generally think of myself as a pretty smart guy, but damn you just made me feel like an idiot haha. This never crossed my mind and may just work too!

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
OP,
Did the same thing with my kb trying to reinstall it and make a tool to tighten that bolt. Wasted too much time and straining my back so removed and reinstalled as 1 big unit. Much easier

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
Hope the quality is good enough but you can see the spot the wire loom goes through it. Wanted to get the pics to you quick. It is lighted up with a flashlight. Make sense where it is at?
D71552EA-C959-4F00-888E-671531CC8BC2-14198-00000D65B67576B2_zpsaf8ecf4f.gif

371DCA6C-7BFF-47CA-83CB-E6BCC3F3CDE3-14198-00000D659A4552C4_zps820047af.gif

Edit: This mammajamma goes in it. (white/silver one in middle)
73EBD621-D02D-42D2-AE21-3E4DEF4400FC-14198-00000D66A29BD717_zpsa68dcc6d.gif

Last edited:

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
I generally think of myself as a pretty smart guy, but damn you just made me feel like an idiot haha. This never crossed my mind and may just work too!

Yea Whipple (maybe kennebell too) send a cut allen that is cut just after the bend.

pharrbear

Established Member
kb removal

ball end allen wrench is what kenne bell supplies with the supercharger for installation. wrench is designed as such for installation and removal of bolt with difficult access.

Cobra03SC

Established Member
For me, i used a stock bolt in that 1 location when i put mine together. The rest i used the allen bolts but that spot is a pain to get to. Much easier to get to with a wrench/ swivel socket setup.

Mike681

Established Member
DSG, does the silver screw go into that one hole where your light is in the pics? It's not making the most sense to me haha.

Mike681

Established Member
ball end allen wrench is what kenne bell supplies with the supercharger for installation. wrench is designed as such for installation and removal of bolt with difficult access.

I tried that and it didn't want to budge. I'm going to give that another try, because it should work. The guy who installed this really put some of these bolts in too tight.

Users who are viewing this thread