I see a pattern with turbo cobras !!!

sprx19

Established Member
He's another way to think about it. Really fast cars go from 40-120 in about 7-8 seconds or so. If it takes the turbo car 2 seconds to spool he gave up 25% of the race right off the top. Turbos are badass don't get me wrong, I love my Subaru, but there is a technique to driving them right. I learned about 2 yrs ago when I go tired of giving up a couple cars to everyone I raced right at the start. When you brake spool up to full boost and then let off the brake its nuts.

BTW, you should need about half throttle to do this, not floor it.

TRBO VNM

sprx19 said:
He's another way to think about it. Really fast cars go from 40-120 in about 7-8 seconds or so. If it takes the turbo car 2 seconds to spool he gave up 25% of the race right off the top. Turbos are badass don't get me wrong, I love my Subaru, but there is a technique to driving them right. I learned about 2 yrs ago when I go tired of giving up a couple cars to everyone I raced right at the start. When you brake spool up to full boost and then let off the brake its nuts.

I agree man. we are on the same page. brake boosting is where it is at when running from a roll. I haven't had the opportunity to try it. When I raced the whipple guy I didn't even know about it. actually, I tried one other time. it was too much boost for the street tires to launch off of brake boosting and just spun.

I have just found if I floor it, it will build faster. I definitely need practice.

hpbyhermann

Established Member
Edgewater Maryland, New shop in Beltsville Marylan
I've run just about all of the combo's you can have on these cars.....

This is something that requires you to be brutally honest with yourself.....There is a ton of expense when doing a turbo conversion on these cars....not just in the kit and suspension but in the boost controllers and other electronics needed to set it up right the first time. Just keep in mind what made these cars so fun in the first place.....instant low end power....I have a hellion turbo currently on my own car....and it makes killer power....i ran 137.98 m.p.h. letting off before 1,000 ft at the track just shaking it down. It will go 140's on a full pass not even breaking a sweat.....but ask me if i enjoy it as a "car" still....well.....no...it makes weak low speed power....and I drive mine around as a car alot still.....I really have found myself missing the k-b I had previously...that made for a fun street car......it went 1.36 60 ft. and 10:40 at 107.....the belt ripped off at 900-1000 ft...it was an old 10 rib x-10 belt....I didn't get to try it again since the blower was sold to a friend of mine. With a scienced out setup that car would go easy 9's.......a car you could genuinely use you street duty daily if you chose to. But I found myself jadded with the turbo lure of huge power...and it lived up to it also.....but after re-thinking my car and it's intended use I think the new 2.6 k-b with nitrous will fit my needs better....especially with the nitrous I will use with it.....If I want a racecar it will defiantely be a turbo car...but for my cobra that still has everything in it I am just about sure i'll be back with a big Kenne Bell on my new HBH/Al Pappito built engine! Make sure your choice suits the way you plan on using your car...all of these setups are fast....but use the one that's right for your driving habits!! Back to low speed fun for me!! And ultimately I think it will go comparable to my turbo with the spray.......Tune in for the mid to low 9's soon!! hermann

Vitoman

Established Member
Im pretty happy with how I ran against those bikes considering it was on 5 cylinders. It was also 101 degrees out that day. You all can do whatever you want to do, I love this turbo. It still isnt all quite there and I have dealt with spark blowout and ignition issues for a while.

I too had the Kenne Bell and liked it but this is a totally different animal. Ive been to the track once in the 2 months Ive had it done and dont regret a thing, it picked up 8 mph in the 1/4. It does take a lot more bits and pieces to make things work like they are supposed to- but Im getting there. It just kills me how many people want to sit in front of their computers and tell everyone how easy this or that is. Better track times and videos to follow when I learn more about this brake boosting thing...

Last edited:

TWEAKED03

Established Member
Vitoman said:
Im pretty happy with how I ran against those bikes considering it was on 5 cylinders. It was also 101 degrees out that day. You all can do whatever you want to do, I love this turbo. It still isnt all quite there and I have dealt with spark blowout and ignition issues for a while.

It just kills me how many people want to sit in front of their computers and tell everyone how easy this or that is. Better track times and videos to follow when I learn more about this brake boosting thing...

Vitoman don't misunderstand the post. I am not nor is anyone else dogging on your car or any other turbo cobra. I do a lot of research before spending money on mods. Watch every race I put on the first page and watch how quick everyone one shifts. It's like the only gear they pull in is 4th or 5th. Almost like the cars have real short bursts of power. Maybe everyone of those videos the turbo cars where not running to there peak. But those are the only videos on turbo cobras I can find and all of them should have slaughter the what they raced. I can understand one video or even two but everyone one the turbo cobra did not shine? Are turbo cobras really that big a headache or that unpredictable? With the trap speed but you and trb vnm ran then the are not dyno queens. Maybe it is something time will cure!!! I hope so.

yelostang

Established Member
TWEAKED03 said:
Vitoman don't misunderstand the post. I am not nor is anyone else dogging on your car or any other turbo cobra. I do a lot of research before spending money on mods. Watch every race I put on the first page and watch how quick everyone one shifts. It's like the only gear they pull in is 4th or 5th. Almost like the cars have real short bursts of power. Maybe everyone of those videos the turbo cars where not running to there peak. But those are the only videos on turbo cobras I can find and all of them should have slaughter the what they raced. I can understand one video or even two but everyone one the turbo cobra did not shine? Are turbo cobras really that big a headache or that unpredictable? With the trap speed but you and trb vnm ran then the are not dyno queens. Maybe it is something time will cure!!! I hope so.

Another thing you need to remember is that the boost on a turbo car varies as well. I don't drive around all the time set at 20psi, I've actually on had it up that high once. I'm not done with the whole tuning process either, but that's thanks to work.

DaBoss302

Established Member
0mineralgrey3 said:
I never have a camera with me when i race just a co pilot. I've kicked the dog snot out of plenty of cars around here. I guess it's all in the driver and how THEY set up the car. Tuned or not.....if you can't manipulate a boost controller with the weather to match your tune your probaby gonna pop, foul out, or spin like crazy. I'm almost to the point of slapping my car on ebay, but i'm just starting to make time for myself to work out some kinks and get my ignition on. I should have some interesting videos up soon.

0mineralgrey3.............did you run your Car at No Problem FunFord weekend??????

Blown02

Established Member
sprx19 said:

just brake boost!:shrug:

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
Yeah...i ran it out there. That is when i blew the sensor out. I'm making some arrangements to get to see mike murillo and have him retune my car. So yep that was me.

Fast Willy

Established Member
hpbyhermann said:
This is something that requires you to be brutally honest with yourself.....There is a ton of expense when doing a turbo conversion on these cars....not just in the kit and suspension but in the boost controllers and other electronics needed to set it up right the first time. Just keep in mind what made these cars so fun in the first place.....instant low end power....I have a hellion turbo currently on my own car....and it makes killer power....i ran 137.98 m.p.h. letting off before 1,000 ft at the track just shaking it down. It will go 140's on a full pass not even breaking a sweat.....but ask me if i enjoy it as a "car" still....well.....no...it makes weak low speed power....and I drive mine around as a car alot still.....I really have found myself missing the k-b I had previously...that made for a fun street car......it went 1.36 60 ft. and 10:40 at 107.....the belt ripped off at 900-1000 ft...it was an old 10 rib x-10 belt....I didn't get to try it again since the blower was sold to a friend of mine. With a scienced out setup that car would go easy 9's.......a car you could genuinely use you street duty daily if you chose to. But I found myself jadded with the turbo lure of huge power...and it lived up to it also.....but after re-thinking my car and it's intended use I think the new 2.6 k-b with nitrous will fit my needs better....especially with the nitrous I will use with it.....If I want a racecar it will defiantely be a turbo car...but for my cobra that still has everything in it I am just about sure i'll be back with a big Kenne Bell on my new HBH/Al Pappito built engine! Make sure your choice suits the way you plan on using your car...all of these setups are fast....but use the one that's right for your driving habits!! Back to low speed fun for me!! And ultimately I think it will go comparable to my turbo with the spray.......Tune in for the mid to low 9's soon!! hermann

+1, ask yourself what your going to use the car for. These cars can make some serious power with a turbo. But ask yourself what your going to use the car for. I take my car to the track about 6 times a year and use it as a daily driver. Its a whipple on 23lbs with a built motor, built tranny return style fuel system and and built solid re-end and am looking to add some spray to it. Thats because I love the low end tq these cars make and wont give it up for a daily driver. If i wanted to build a straight race car then turbo hands down but I'm not racing John Force on the street or strip so I kept to what makes me happy every day.

TRBO VNM

The Evil 1 said:
+1, ask yourself what your going to use the car for. These cars can make some serious power with a turbo. But ask yourself what your going to use the car for. I take my car to the track about 6 times a year and use it as a daily driver. Its a whipple on 23lbs with a built motor, built tranny return style fuel system and and built solid re-end and am looking to add some spray to it. Thats because I love the low end tq these cars make and wont give it up for a daily driver. If i wanted to build a straight race car then turbo hands down but I'm not racing John Force on the street or strip so I kept to what makes me happy every day.

I agree totally with the person needs to decide what they really want and the goal they have for their car.

some people choose to have 2 power adders, others choose 1 to make the same power. :beer: :-D

Last edited:

hpbyhermann

Established Member
comment 1.exactly true...comment 2....to a point....

TRBO VNM said:
I agree totally with the person needs to decide what they really want and the goal they have for their car.

some people choose to have 2 power adders, others choose 1 to make the same power. :beer: :-D
The older superchargers were not as good when racing dyno #'s....but if you think about with very few exceptions the blower cars were just as fast, I'm talking time slips not dyno #'s!!This is not even the nitrous ones but the just blower cars...I honestly feel i'll be going mid 9's without spray....I went 10.40 at 103 mph drifting at the 900 ft. mark when my 1 1/2 year old belt broke on me my last pass at crapitol with the 2.4 ...the 1/8th mile was 6.40 .....that was shifting low and the boost was 7 lbs. less than i'll be running now!:eek: The new 2.6 and 2.8 have no track #'s yet...but I fully expect to run a little better than you give the blowers credit for!:thumbsup: We will see soon!! But your right...choose what you like and enjoy the car....hell, even race the damn thing....it is lots more fun than racing dyno's! hermann:beer:

TRBO VNM

hpbyhermann said:
The older superchargers were not as good when racing dyno #'s....but if you think about with very few exceptions the blower cars were just as fast, I'm talking time slips not dyno #'s!!This is not even the nitrous ones but the just blower cars...I honestly feel i'll be going mid 9's without spray....I went 10.40 at 103 mph drifting at the 900 ft. mark when my 1 1/2 year old belt broke on me my last pass at crapitol with the 2.4 ...the 1/8th mile was 6.40 .....that was shifting low and the boost was 7 lbs. less than i'll be running now!:eek: The new 2.6 and 2.8 have no track #'s yet...but I fully expect to run a little better than you give the blowers credit for!:thumbsup: We will see soon!! But your right...choose what you like and enjoy the car....hell, even race the damn thing....it is lots more fun than racing dyno's! hermann:beer:

yeah, I hate dyno queens. get to the track and prove it(in general, not directed at you). and I was just giving him a hard time. I know the blowers are proven and I use to have my fair share. I just think with the proper auto setup you won't have much difference between the blower and turbo on the street. Ask Jon, he is in love with that turbo and his setup, although his auto may not last long.:lol: I don't talk dyno numbers either. there aren't enough turbo cobra's out there really racing and pushing them at the track compared to the blower cars. Mike Palugi and Mark(Buster) are really the only guys that post who are out there pushing their cars. I am just doing more testing right now and once I get the right combo(tire, suspension, etc) I will start pushing it more. Mike goes mid 9's with a manual and Mark has gone 10.0 with manual. I believe both these cars were close to full weight cars as well and not really setup for just drag racing. It is very hard to compare terminators wtih turbo and blower at the strip just yet. It will be very interesting to see what numbers jon turns out.

Hermann, the only thing that suxs is the analysis of your turbo setup was done with a converter that was not properly spec'ed out for the setup, which I know you would agree with. most will usually forget about this fact at a later date and make judgements that might be incorrect. So with the correct one, you may have been perfectly happy with it, but we won't really know.

Last edited:

hpbyhermann

Established Member
you are definately right on this....

TRBO VNM said:
yeah, I hate dyno queens. get to the track and prove it(in general, not directed at you). and I was just giving him a hard time. I know the blowers are proven and I use to have my fair share. I just think with the proper auto setup you won't have much difference between the blower and turbo on the street. Ask Jon, he is in love with that turbo and his setup, although his auto may not last long.:lol: I don't talk dyno numbers either. there aren't enough turbo cobra's out there really racing and pushing them at the track compared to the blower cars. Mike Palugi and Mark(Buster) are really the only guys that post who are out there pushing their cars. I am just doing more testing right now and once I get the right combo(tire, suspension, etc) I will start pushing it more. Mike goes mid 9's with a manual and Mark has gone 10.0 with manual. I believe both these cars were close to full weight cars as well and not really setup for just drag racing. It is very hard to compare terminators wtih turbo and blower at the strip just yet. It will be very interesting to see what numbers jon turns out.

Hermann, the only thing that suxs is the analysis of your turbo setup was done with a converter that was not properly spec'ed out for the setup, which I know you would agree with. most will usually forget about this fact at a later date and make judgements that might be incorrect. So with the correct one, you may have been perfectly happy with it, but we won't really know.
The convertor would have helped greatly.....especially at the track....but I wanted to simplify the car and not dump a ton more money in to it....especially with my new project car arriving in a week or so!:thumbsup: (07' gt convertible) hermann

TWEAKED03

Established Member
Here is the problem for me at least. I drive the car everyday and where I live there are some fast cars that people drive. I love to play and on average get in 1/2 races a week just driving home and around on the weekends. The problem with most kb cobra's is pump gas limits and the car weighing 3900 pounds. I want the power on the fly not changing belts,race gas,changing tunes,fulling bottles.yad yad yad. I have watched videos of kb's getting walked by modded ls1's,c5's,c6's,c6z06,supras,vipers and a handful of other cars. The most powerful pump gas kb cobra or on average is 620/640 rwhp which is good for 130 trap. That's fast!!! but around these parts thats alittle better then average. With boost logic&performance motorsports,murrillo motorsports a town away and the fact that the laregest military base in the free world is less then a hour away and most of them have come back from over seas with a healthy bankroll and have bought houses in this town it makes street racing a challenge and this area funny for a street car owner. We have na-t sc300's putting down 640rwhp and trapping 130 on dr's. Not to mention about 35 single turbo supras of which all run in the 130's a few 2jz converted sc300's that run high 130's.OH AND VETTES,CAMAROS,TRANSAMS holy crap lt1,ls1,ls2,ls7 heads&cam,stroker sprayed,blown,etc shXt they are everywhere.... HELL the paking lot in front of my apartments on sat night has 4 ls7 z06's show up. And I don't know if you have ever heard of SW at elite motorsports but the guy has a fault of street cars. ALMOST EVERYTHING IS pm,mti,rsi or nizier BUILT. Here I will show you

his z07
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/sw/0/dc155a14-38ac-4bb1-9e7f-98140113b37b.htm

his first supra 9.83/153http://videos.streetfire.net/search/sw/0/4b4e5c8e-04c6-4f3b-b4be-2191cec07541.htm

his sc300
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/LEXUS/0/e57da118-7beb-425c-b9aa-f84ab6503945.htm

boostlogic shop car
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/boost+logic/0/ea537db8-4805-4972-b2e3-b0c2d4eb154b.htm

ANYONE REMEMBER WALSER SUPRA

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/SUPRA/0/a8b43493-00fa-4f59-a5ac-4db0ddc7d316.htm

OR THE LEXUS CATCH UP

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/LEXUS/1/ce540c09-5ecf-449b-8f5f-7e3a35e93d3a.htm

ALL IN AUSTIN TEXAS...

Driveable is important to me but low end...... I don't tear way from to many stop lights. As a matter of fact aside from the track all my races start from 40 and up. So two steps,60fts,skinnes,slicks just give me 2.2 60ft 12.5 142mph ,sum brake boosting and I'm in business.

HOPE YOU ENJOY THE VIDS...

TWEAKED03

Established Member
xtremejc said:
Just buy a Supra, throw a big turbo on it.

If I had the money I would in a heartbeat. But since it cost about 20k to make a supra put down 140 plus traps and the car is easy 25 to 45 thousand and you have to pay cash because you can get that car on 60 months. Then I will use the next best thing a 03 cobra with strong stock longblock and irs outback.

xtremejc said:
be happy roll racing...

I take you hate roll racing?

Users who are viewing this thread